Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Foylema
BOOST

Post Are all car clubs hoons?

In Adelaide there have been a number of hoon story's and its making it hard for other clubs to have meet becuase the police keep show up and defecting every little thing. Are other states having this same problem?

The All Car Club spoke to channel 7 about this to make things clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQA1s4I12ow

Foylema is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
AUIIForte

Didn't watch the clip, but I guess if the 'good' car clubs have nothing to hide and aren't doing anything illegal, they have nothing to hide and the police problem wouldn't be a problem.

Also if you have defects on your car, you shouldn't be driving it.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Didn't watch the clip, but I guess if the 'good' car clubs have nothing to hide and aren't doing anything illegal, they have nothing to hide and the police problem wouldn't be a problem.

you dont necessarily need to have something wrong with your car to get a canery. but i dont wont to go into this...it'll just end up in another cops bashing/hoons exercise.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Car clubs aren't all hoons. But unfortunately you get the morons there that think they're awesome by being idiots.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

The above story is an example of this mind you the story says that the photographer was a passer by was the photographer. Actually the photographer is a moderator in this car club (he is a mate of mine). He also knew exactly what to do so these people would be identified. The car club in question actually have been giving the license plate numbers to the police for years now but naturally nothing can be done cause there wasn't enough evidence.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Foylema
BOOST

Like a few mates of mine have been defected for oil leaks like what is with that...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

We don't have that problem in QLD, but what I don't understand is how dose the cops know when your going on a cruise? When I sent out newsletters I only send it to members of the car club. But if it's a public one with more then one club then I suppose it would be more advertise. We have a few Friday night meeting spots and the cops are there but don't hassel you unless you are doing something wrong.

AUIIForte: If your driving a 30 year old car and the cops look hard enough they'll find something. Even if it's just miss matched tyres which sucks owning a hardtop because even if you run 265's all round they still look like cheese cutters on the back. But thankfully the cops around here are mostly looking for ricers. Alot of the coppers appreciate the muscle cars around here.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
95falcon
B E-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

The above story is an example of this mind you the story says that the photographer was a passer by was the photographer. Actually the photographer is a moderator in this car club (he is a mate of mine).
Dog act.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Foylema
BOOST

Some cops are good like they say to us if they dont hear anything from us we wont here anything from them...

But some just come in defect every little thing and it stuffs the night for people...
and now people dont wana cruise becuase they dont wana be defected!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95falcon
Dog act.

How is it a dog act? They're ripping burnouts in a car park full of people and throwing stones all over the place. The club has been saying that this will not be tolerated for years.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
you dont necessarily need to have something wrong with your car to get a canery. but i dont wont to go into this...it'll just end up in another cops bashing/hoons exercise.
yes you do

each state has different rules ect and if your car does not fall into those rules it is not legal to drive on that states roads

my car is prob just borderline here in vic

this is not about the cars that were put off the road but why were they put off the road

i watched the vid that was posted and yes there was a guy that done a burnout/skid what ever you want to call it and that is what got the police interested not the fact that there was a car club meet

it is a culture that we as car club people need to show the right side of it all and show the police that not all are in the hoon status just because we are part of a car club

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
We don't have that problem in QLD, but what I don't understand is how dose the cops know when your going on a cruise? When I sent out newsletters I only send it to members of the car club. But if it's a public one with more then one club then I suppose it would be more advertise. We have a few Friday night meeting spots and the cops are there but don't hassel you unless you are doing something wrong.

AUIIForte: If your driving a 30 year old car and the cops look hard enough they'll find something. Even if it's just miss matched tyres which sucks owning a hardtop because even if you run 265's all round they still look like cheese cutters on the back. But thankfully the cops around here are mostly looking for ricers. Alot of the coppers appreciate the muscle cars around here.
I have to agree that there isn't really an issue in QLD. Every cruise (event) we are involved with (be it our club or AFF) I always notify the Police of the area and they have always been fantastic.

Sadly there will always be one or two morons hitting the newspapers (or other media outlets) bringing a bad light on car clubs, but if clubs ensure their members are behaving then you can alter people's general opinion possibly.

I think the most stupid thing lately I have noticed is a wally posted a video of him doing a burnout in a street. This was only seen by me because people have the 'send to friends & network.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte

there are many police who abuse their power. they may even be a minority. i've had my share of run ins with them, the most recent couple for driving talking on phone and for creeping over the white line whilst traffic lights were red.

the 2nd incident the cop was a complete moron. i got done for running a red when clearly i didn't. he claimed my whole car was over, i claimed it wasn't, can't argue with cops.

the first incident i mentioned, the cop was a top bloke. i was obviously in the wrong, we both knew that and we had a nice chat.

i've seen many incidences where the cops idea of the correct rules differ somewhat to the transport s.a. rules. where the problem lies though is that once you are defected you have to take your car through the inspection centre where they don't just look at the particular area that was defected but the whole car gets a going over.

my car for example, has been through regency (s.a. inspection centre) as i bought it interstate and it failed for ride height. i got the legal specs off them, and redid my suspension to these specs and got it passed. i've since heard of cars being defected (same model) for a ride height higher than mine.

people often say kings superlow springs are just under legal height and yet i have supers in the front and ultra's in the rear and mine is o.k according to regency.

for this reason i wouldn't like a cop nosing around my car just because i decided to take part in a cruise. most car club members look after the critical areas of the car much better than the rest of the population!

i'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.

i'm not against cops. they have a tough job and i applaud them for it. i just don't want any attention UNTIL i break the law, not BEFORE i do. i have a modified v8 but never will i compromise the safety aspects of the car. i guess some aren't like that and the police feel they are stopping potential hazards.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

If what ACA/TT, news papers and Police are to go by, then Yes.

How ever, from experience, I don't feel clubs are hoons, it's usually the wannabe's!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Those who choose to take the opportunity in this thread to "police bash" will be given a 24hr ban.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How is it a dog act? They're ripping burnouts in a car park full of people and throwing stones all over the place. The club has been saying that this will not be tolerated for years.
Why is the club keeping them around? If they were known hoons why bring them out???

btw anyone notice how the only Ford there was owned by the responsible bloke? everything else was a commo - supports the statistics i guess lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Why is the club keeping them around? If they were known hoons why bring them out???
This club doesn't have members paying fees so its open to everyone. Also when they can get 500 cars to a cruise your not gonna know everyone. Nor should they say that only these people are allowed to go. Hopefully now the morons will actually stay away.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

That's because most Holden drivers are try hards and that's the only way they'll get notice. I don't need a flame suit for that comment on this site.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foylema
In Adelaide there have been a number of hoon story's and its making it hard for other clubs to have meet becuase the police keep show up and defecting every little thing. Are other states having this same problem?

The All Car Club spoke to channel 7 about this to make things clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQA1s4I12ow

And your sig reads "EF Fairmont Cooking tyres"

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
loosey

I've been on cruises with a club which possibly has a hoon stigma related to it. Only because they're considered a 'high performance' car and there are a lot of dks that drive them (on the cruises i didn't see anyone acting up).
I've heard of cars that have been defected for 'suspected defects' ie: exhaust too loud, car too low, external waste gate, aftermarket bov. I understand if you're going to do illegal modifications (which a lot of us will be guilty of) its your own fault for being defected.
The other thing is a few clubs that seem to love cruising down jetty road and hindley street which are known cop spots, and then there's Anzac highway which every tosspot thinks is a drag strip. It's common sense that you will attract police attention along there.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
Foylema
BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
And your sig reads "EF Fairmont Cooking tyres"
Yer on a track
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #21
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
you dont necessarily need to have something wrong with your car to get a canery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
yes you do
No you don't. The police only have to "suspect" your car is unroadworthy to canary it. You then have to prove its roadworthy when it gets inspected.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car clubs are turning out to be a waste of space anyway.... Political infighting and bickering.

The fact some 'hoons' are getting around in 'groups' doesn't constitute a club... they instead constitute a bunch of idiots...
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #23
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
No you don't. The police only have to "suspect" your car is unroadworthy to canary it. You then have to prove its roadworthy when it gets inspected.
the sad truth is that like everywhere in life you will meet the good and the bad. i was pulled over by an old senior seargent a couple of days after i bought the coupe and chatted to him on the side of the road for half an hour because he use to own an xc coupe himself and was currently doing up an xy fairmont. a dead set top bloke and he knew his stuff. a couple of weeks later i was pulled over by a boofhead who wouldn't know a honda from a hyundai and he tried to defect my "mustang". i let him waffle on for a bit before i showed him my still current roadworthy certificate and after that he lost interest and left. like i said you get your good ones and your bad ones. same goes for car enthusiasts. cheers.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #24
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95falcon
Dog act.
not really, you hoon you pay,

the cops are there to do their job and go home at the end of the shift
if there is a defect on your car expect to pay for it,

I recently bought my ZJ i actually went to the blue slipping station and asked to be checked for defects,

one time i had a pod filter in my ricer, cops pulled me up asked for a under bonnet check they seen it had a laugh with me and we both went our ways but because i had a laugh with them i came out with no fine and removed the pod the next day.

cheers,
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #25
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foylema
Like a few mates of mine have been defected for oil leaks like what is with that...
I'm sure a motor cyclist could enlighten you as to whats wrong with an oil leak from a car.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #26
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police are doing their job. I have been on tonnes of cruises where the sheet says police have been advised of the cruise (BS) and that burnouts and hooning will not be tolerated, when regularly the cruise will end at a burnout hotspot with members burning rubber. I can dig up, and name countless videos (not that I would) of SA drivers whom I know personally who say they are not hoons ... Videos which show burnouts, excessive speed and just being general idiots.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #27
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Car clubs aren't all hoons. But unfortunately you get the morons there that think they're awesome by being idiots.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

The above story is an example of this mind you the story says that the photographer was a passer by was the photographer. Actually the photographer is a moderator in this car club (he is a mate of mine). He also knew exactly what to do so these people would be identified. The car club in question actually have been giving the license plate numbers to the police for years now but naturally nothing can be done cause there wasn't enough evidence.
not sure I agree with what your MATE has done.yes these guys were idiots ,I saw no footage so dont know how severe it was ,but 3 were 19 ,2 were 21 and another 20,did you guys never speed or do a burnout when you were young, this act is the same as dobbing on your class mates(something that was not even considered an option when I was in primary school by anyone,yes we had a code back then and EVERYBODY stuck with it)so to me it was low to say the least. while we have young drivers we will ALWAYS have speeding and burnouts .and to think these guys lost their car over it(something that we would never have copped in our day) .I thought for a minute your mate might be a copper ,but thinking about it a copper would not be so stupid as to join a club and then go and nark on anybody like this, a copper would not be this low.hope I never go to a meet with your MATE ,I might churp the tyres ,he will film me and then I will lose my car. :
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #28
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Very disappointing to attend a car show and see the goings on when so called enthousiasts leave, anyone attending the shannons sponsored event at tomago knows what i am talking about every 2nd car does a skid for the crowd and then everyone gets shirty when the cops arrive and start handing out defects and fines. The cops dont really want to to this but they would be remiss if they didn't stop people from hurting themselves or others.

Doesn't take much self control not to pull a big burnout. The so called enthousiasts then get upset when the club that holds the event considers pulling out from the bad publicity surrounding the goings on.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #29
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

Those who think there is nothing wrong with doing a burnout when leaving an organised venue should spare a thought for the organisers who have to front the police, the local residents and the club members when this sort of rubbish goes on. I love a burnout as much as anyone and have pulled a few in my time but there is a place for everything and leaving an organised venue where the organisers cop the flack is not it. If you have to do it, then do it annonomously where ONLY YOU are responsible for it. It does nothing to enhanse the organised muscle car movement when idiots speed or do burnouts in residential areas while the residents are watching. It also makes venues reluctant to have the group back again.
3/93 EB2GT No 204 - Cardinal Red 1 of 88
8/03 BAGT No 395 - Blood Orange
6/08 FGGT No 295 - Octane
3/64 XM 4 Door - Red
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #30
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XABEBAGT
Those who think there is nothing wrong with doing a burnout when leaving an organised venue should spare a thought for the organisers who have to front the police, the local residents and the club members when this sort of rubbish goes on. I love a burnout as much as anyone and have pulled a few in my time but there is a place for everything and leaving an organised venue where the organisers cop the flack is not it. If you have to do it, then do it annonomously where ONLY YOU are responsible for it. It does nothing to enhanse the organised muscle car movement when idiots speed or do burnouts in residential areas while the residents are watching. It also makes venues reluctant to have the group back again.
Very true Keith, we had a similar problem orgaising a Muscle Car Show in Victoria a few years ago as one Venue didn't want us back because a few people ripped Skids leaving. Those few made it hard for the rest of us.

Same again for the FPV Day a few Years ago. People ripped Skids leaving, FPV didn't like it (as they shouldn't) so they notified the Police and the next year 90% of the Entrants receieved letters from the EPA to present their Cars. If everyone behaved themselves in the preceeding Years, it would have avoided all the hassles.

Once again, the few Idiots spoiled it for the rest of us and gave the Car Clubs in general a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post