Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Cool Where did your user name come from?

I have often wondered about some of the user names in this forum.

Some are obvious but some quite obscure.

Mine should be obvious – a Monaro Man but if ever you look at the thread on what cars I have you owned you will see that I have never owned a Monaro

My user name started in 2004 when GMH sent the Monaro to the US and I was curious to know what the grass roots enthusiasts really thought of it. Not the media reporting what the grass roots thought.

I used to spend an hour a day in a one hour instant message room on ultimategto.com and wanted the aussies in there o know by my name they had another aussie there but I wanted a name that would be obscure to the yanks. Thus Munroman was born.

It was an interesting room and visited by Bob Lutz under assumed user names and also by Mike Simcoe under his real name. I remember the first time I saw his name the yank die hards were going on about some new Pontiac that had just been displayed at Detroit Motor Show. They asked asked why the Monaro/Pontiac GTO could not look like that. I cannot recall what it was but the smarties shut up when they realised that Simcoe knew the particular Pontiac POS had a SOHC 2 Litre.

At the time I felt surprised that any aussie would know much about this obscure POS car and asked if it was really him. Straight as a flash he came back with a yes so I asked “If you are an aussie which team is leading the AFL at the moment and the correct answer shot straight back. Then I said so you are an aussie how do I know its really you? Where are you at the moment. “In the back of the Caprice on the way home way the instant reply.”

Back in 2004 internet on the move was a place for corporates but rarely visited/used by plebs so I knew I had the man responsible for drawing the first Monaro on his lounge room wall at a BBQ. Well that’s how the story went. We chatted off line about all sorts of things including a Stretch jeep i had built.

When I went to other forums it was easier to have the same user name so it stuck even though I still have never owned or will ever own a Monaro.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Whats yours?

Where did your user name originate?

Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post