Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default my FG/EL thoughts on lights....

SO ive been thinking about this lately.

I have been reading and hearing over the years that the EL Falcon is the most popular in regards to body design. (i understand this may cause some debate but this is not what this post about)
Anyway during my daily travells on the tarmac and admiring the FG's on the road I have come to the conclusion that the designers of the FG at Ford Australia have flipped a few pages back in there design books.

For one I have noticed the front indicators look suspiciously simillar to the EL.
The tail lights seem to wrapp around the back of the car with the indicator, reverse and brake lights in the same position and same with the reflective tape.
AND this may cause some raised eye brows but I believe even the head lights share some similarity as they seem to be slimmer and "wrapp" around the front corners of the car.
I have only noticed light similarities between models as I dont drive one or even see one daily so im wondering if any one else has noticed some similarity in other aspects of the car?

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anything, the FG looks like a modernised version of the AU falcon. Or a BF with AU influence.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see the resemblance between the things you've stated as similar, tail lights have curled around the back on dozens of models. I'd say the headlights look closer to a BA/Honda accord cross than EL.

I'm also surprised that you heard the EL had the most popular body design, the XR's were rated worse than the EF XR as far as looks go, ford even reverted to the older style XR front for the AU (ED/EF) and generally X series gain the popularity when it comes to the body designs.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
aualright

I agree with the front head lights...but only from the side view. EF / EL resemblance is remarkable.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes no doubt! no doubt at all.
But with all the negatives brought upon by the AU being "too futuristic" or "too much of a change" Im sure the designers looked at the EL and flicked a few AU bodymarks to bring back some of the EL.
I understand they did not have a Billion dollars to spend on a baby so thay had to start with a AU/BF shape, But im sure they thought - "how can we regain the love the Falcon lovers had with the EL" and added a few slight touches, such as the lights.
the Falcon always seem to make tiny changes to there body annually (compared to the Commodore except for the AU which was not a hit) and I personally believe this wa there way of bending the branch backwards a bit.

Click here to see my ute
Old 13-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok Ok, il try and make my self a bit more clear. Ahhum....
The BF indicators that are with the headlights have a clear lens with a clear back ground. whilst the EL and FG have a black back ground.
The tail lights ona BF stop suddenly and drop down to almost a square whilst the FG and EL curve further around with out any chrome trim. Same like the headlights they sweep around the front of the car with the indicators in question.
Im just curious to see if anyone else has noticed any other similarities to the EL?
I can sense some are going to shoot me down on this but this is what the forum is all about i suppose.

Click here to see my ute
Old 13-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the forum header image. Enough said.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Look at the forum header image. Enough said.
- EXACTLY!! disregard the bar and air intakes. Im saying the indiactors and lights look way more like the EL than the AU for that matter.

Click here to see my ute
Old 13-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

The front indicators are the only remote resemblance as far as i can see. But anyone here reckon that the BA and Territory front end looks very much like an EA/EB/ED? The square clear front indicators (of the BA/tezza) are remarkably ED.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 13-04-2009 at 01:48 AM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ED or EL? (joking) im glad someone is with me here

Click here to see my ute
Old 13-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The instrument cluster is certainly similar. I thought I had gone back in time 15 years the first time I sat in an FG.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I see what you mean re: the relationship between the indicators and the guards. Also youre right (in a roundabout way) both the Ef-EL and FG have organic styled head and tail lamps unlike the BAs 'ED style' lights which were flat at the bottom.

Overall the FG is a mix of AU, BA, and Fords new kinetic styling (referencing the Mondeo)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

the FG is more Au then anything.

BTW EL XR's > EF XRs. Nothing beats the angry face of an EL

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
the XR's were rated worse than the EF XR as far as looks go, ford even reverted to the older style XR front for the AU (ED/EF).
Thats the one of the most confuseing things i've heard.

Ef XR had a blanked off grill. Au's and ED's had an opening, so did EL's.

So how the hell did ford revert to the older style XR you say (ED-EF) front for the Au???

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EL? First of all the B-series is easily regarded by a large majority as the best looking falcon or 'most popular in body design' as you said. Secondly the FG is just a more modern and flowing version of the B-series look (which brings up the AU connections due to it's smoother flowing shape). Hell Ford specifically designed the BF to carry a lot of the FG's looks and design cues to familiarise people with the new look.
Old 13-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

All i can say is there's definitely Ford DNA that's going on with the FG. A bit of E-series, a bit of AU and a bit of B-Series, all modernised. Looks tops if you ask me.
Old 13-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
All i can say is there's definitely Ford DNA that's going on with the FG. A bit of E-series, a bit of AU and a bit of B-Series, all modernised. Looks tops if you ask me.
Exactly what I was going to say! :

But it looks most similar to the AU, as said above.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Although i can understand where your coming from, i see bits of older falcons in all models that follow after them!, its just shows the FG is full of Falcons special stuff!
Old 14-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #19
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
the FG is more Au then anything.

BTW EL XR's > EF XRs. Nothing beats the angry face of an EL
Here here!
I also agree with the OP.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Nope, nothing alike. I have had 3 DL's and an NL and can tell you that the FG has nothing in common with them. For starters, the FG lights are huge, massive compared to the little squint E series lights, and they also have the none patterned lens. On the bottom they are curved whereas on the EL, they are square. Further, the indicator goes far further into the guard cutout than any EL, and the tail lights do the same thing. EL tail lights hardly went anywhere in the rear quarter, and they took up quite an aspect of the rear metal. The FG rear lights go a long way into the rear guards, and are very BA'ish in the small amount of space they occupy on the rear aspect. The FG headlights have more to do with an AU than any EL. Other than that, there is no other familiar part to the car save for the 4 litre engine, which has been since modernised anyway.

Quote: