Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #1

Default First Car

Although I have been on this forum for a few weeks now, I have yet to post any images of the car I bought recently.

It's an 01 Ford Fairmont AU Ghia, Series 3; and it is actually my very first car.

The car had done a near 128,000km on it, and was bought at $8,800 about 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, images...

Last edited by 908; 07-06-2009 at 12:00 AM.
908 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

nice, is the wood grain that bright or is it just the photos?

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks great. let me guess, the first mod will be a new exhaust?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yep, nice... low k's as well.

Is that a satnav screen in the centre dash?

It's a different dash centre to mine (standard ghia - if there is such a thing) but opens up possibilities for dvd screens, aftermarket satnavs etc.

Does yours have an aerial half up/full up button?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
nice, is the wood grain that bright or is it just the photos?
It's just the photos. Flashlight was on when photos were taken, making everything much brighter.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
looks great. let me guess, the first mod will be a new exhaust?
Haha, yes. Current exhaust now, is extremely ugly; all rusted out. Will be getting a 2.5 catback w/ centre muffler and rear resi after exams. Been quoted $280 (excluding tips) fitted at performance exhaust in ringwood. Not sure if I should get a twin tip or a single. What do you think?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Yep, nice... low k's as well.

Is that a satnav screen in the centre dash?

It's a different dash centre to mine (standard ghia - if there is such a thing) but opens up possibilities for dvd screens, aftermarket satnavs etc.

Does yours have an aerial half up/full up button?
Indeed, it is a sat nav. Though, I still need to buy the remote and the cd for it to actually function. $380 for the cd, and $90 for the remote.

and Nope, it doesn't have the aerial button. Everytime the radio is used, it just pops up automatically.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he's talking about full height, or half height. doesn't look like you have it.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
he's talking about full height, or half height. doesn't look like you have it.
Is it suppose to have it?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd say not.

Here's a pic of my dash (with aftermarket head unit) with the aerial button - but no satnav
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I'd say not.

Here's a pic of my dash (with aftermarket head unit) with the aerial button - but no satnav
Mine definately does not have the aerial button. The LCD display of mine is abit faded, so I have to get that repaired.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very nice! congratulations =D
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
SIKSIX
Its gone V

yeah buddy looks clean, but sorry to say but i would check accident history
because its just fresh rego plates missing badges, got a grey airbarg (should be black) they are a few signs of what looks like a repairable write off. If it is just make sure it has been fixed properly so you know you a driving a safe car.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Nice car mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
because its just fresh rego plates missing badges, got a grey airbarg (should be black) they are a few signs of what looks like a repairable write off. If it is just make sure it has been fixed properly so you know you a driving a safe car.
IMO the airbag stands out so much due to the lighting in the photo. Mine when photographed looks like an AU1 grey airbag in my AU3 warm charcoal, but in person, it's almost black.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

Nice Ghia mate, join the club :p
The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
System:Alpine Dvd Player, 2x12" Alpine TyreR Subs, Pioneer Mono Amp.
DashXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

L-O-effing-L!! I tell you what, I never thought I would see this car ever again!
I can tell you that Mr SIKSIX is right on the money there, someone has a keen eye!! Considering the fact that I watched my brother drive it out of my parents burning garage while the car was ON FIRE!!

Mate, you have just bought yourself the car that my father owned from ex-demo, until it was almost burnt to a crisp when my parents garage burn down recently. The entire back of that car was on fire!
VCT with Herrod extractors? Whoever slapped it back together couldn't even have the decency to put stock tail lights back on, and it looked better without a wing.
You poor bastard. At least you got yourself a micky interior. My old man spent many a day conditioning those seats. Anyway, good luck with it!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
L-O-effing-L!! I tell you what, I never thought I would see this car ever again!
I can tell you that Mr SIKSIX is right on the money there, someone has a keen eye!! Considering the fact that I watched my brother drive it out of my parents burning garage while the car was ON FIRE!!

Mate, you have just bought yourself the car that my father owned from ex-demo, until it was almost burnt to a crisp when my parents garage burn down recently. The entire back of that car was on fire!
VCT with Herrod extractors? Whoever slapped it back together couldn't even have the decency to put stock tail lights back on, and it looked better without a wing.
You poor bastard. At least you got yourself a micky interior. My old man spent many a day conditioning those seats. Anyway, good luck with it!
Yeah, everything works though. The guy I bought it off fixed the back. If you look EXTREMLY CLOSE you can tell the difference of the black paint, however. He told me it was in some fire, and was deemed a repairable write-off. I got the receipts and everything for the repair.

The altezzas' are not that bad. Hahaha. Wing is abit much though.
:

How did your garage get burnt? :togo:
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

how did u get it so cheap??
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
how did u get it so cheap??
is my sarcasm meter broken or did you not read that this car was half burnt to a crisp?

best of luck to you OP, but i think old mate has it right. you poor bastard.

ps if you're gonna blank out your numberplate, do it in all pictures.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i read evertything up til the last two posts, my mistake
Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
is my sarcasm meter broken or did you not read that this car was half burnt to a crisp?

best of luck to you OP, but i think old mate has it right. you poor bastard.

ps if you're gonna blank out your numberplate, do it in all pictures.
Opps. Haha. I'll just throw that picture out =/. I cant be bothered changing it.

The back is fixed. I don't get the point of being a "poor bastard". :
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #22

Quote:
well luckily for me, a couple had a look at it before a did, and they brang along a RACV guy. in addition, an old mate in bendigo looked at it, and his a mechanic. so did my girlfriend's dad who is also a mechanic.

all good
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908
I don't get the point of being a "poor bastard". :
Oh, you will in about 6 months or so when the paint starts to bubble and peel due to being sprayed over burnt metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908
Yeah, everything works though.
Hmm, well, not quite unfortunately. Now, I dont know if this has been rectified by the stooge who sold it to you, but there were a few things. For starters, don't bother trying to rip any skids in it, cos the traction control is busted and stuck permenantly on! The computer is stuffed due to an aftermarket chip blunder. From what I remember, the motor was down on compression a bit. Also, the exhaust wasnt in the best shape either.
But I'm sure your mechanic mates checked all that! :P
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Oh, you will in about 6 months or so when the paint starts to bubble and peel due to being sprayed over burnt metal!

Hmm, well, not quite unfortunately. Now, I dont know if this has been rectified by the stooge who sold it to you, but there were a few things. For starters, don't bother trying to rip any skids in it, cos the traction control is busted and stuck permenantly on! The computer is stuffed due to an aftermarket chip blunder. From what I remember, the motor was down on compression a bit. Also, the exhaust wasnt in the best shape either.
But I'm sure your mechanic mates checked all that! :P
From the receipts, he replaced/repaired the entire bootlid, and rear guards, and ofcourse the lights. Only other things that needed changing were the pulleys and the rotors at the time. Both were changed. Anti-syphon for tank was changed too. What left needs to be changed/or repaired is the lcd, which is fading.

The exhaust is truely ugly. I will have to change that. Think the unichip problem is rectified, because the traction control can be turned off/on. In addition, skids are definately possible. I can show you a vid if you like.

Over 12k in insurancse is there for me, if the car is indeed stuffed . So I will undoubtedly profit. But I highly doubt that will ever have to happen. All you sold was a burnt *** that is more or less superficial, really.

:
Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
dreadly
Banned

Nice first ride mate! Mine was a 74 manual corolla, geeze how times have changed. who cares if it was burnt etc, it still drives yeah? So as a first car id be stoked. ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #26
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, we didn't sell jack! That car was written off and my old man got a nice cheque for just under $15k. So out of everyone who has been involved in that car, I think we win! : Not that anyone ever wins when it comes to cars, but we got the most out of it. Buying a car for $42k and getting a third of that back for it isnt exactly a win.

Anyways, sounds like its been fixed and all that, good work. Just don't come back to me when it starts turning to shize. No offence, but I hope to never see this car ever again!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im not gonna bag you for buying the car you did. I hope you enjoy it. All the best with it, and I hope it gives you years of driving pleasure.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Nice first ride mate! Mine was a 74 manual corolla
Yep. '80 manual corolla here too.
AAAtchooooo
i think i just caught what's been going around society
Affluenza!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Hey 908, nice to know its not a accident repair, because ive seen alot of cars just slaped together to make a quick buck not to make them safe.
Enjoy the car, enjoy being a AU owner.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #30
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't worry about the burnt *** end,,i've seen a few cars that have the engine bay burnt a bit and still been repaired,,if the *** was prepped properly before being sprayed then it should be fine.

my ex brother in-law is a spraypainted and resprayed alot of partially burnt cars, never had a problem of paint peel or anything like that.

nice pick up for a first car, my first car was a clapped out 65 toyota, the box went before i got 3 kay's up the road..