Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
fishontherun
Starter Motor

Default thumping to first gear? problem fixed

hi guys,
last weekend Thomson Ford was finally able to fixed the problem I (and a few of you automatic LT owner) had: thumping from 2nd to 1st gear when slowing down to a full stop. They did a PCM update and it worked a magic.
cheers.

fishontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
mohit

Interesting, as i always thought it was a mechanical problem. Have you got any more info on this mate? Should all Ford dealers be aware of this?
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Far out, Ford rebuilt my transmission trying to fix this problem (under warranty, of course).

When I picked up the car, one of the transmission mechanics said off the record that he always thought it was an ECU problem, not a mechanical problem. ford should have listened to him!

I'll ask them to do an update next time it is in for service.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
rand0mn00b

gotta love Thomson Ford

Getting them to install a new drive shaft for my noisy CV joints soon
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
focus181
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishontherun
hi guys,
last weekend Thomson Ford was finally able to fixed the problem I (and a few of you automatic LT owner) had: thumping from 2nd to 1st gear when slowing down to a full stop. They did a PCM update and it worked a magic.
cheers.
Was your car in for a normal service (ie 15,000k) or in for the thumping problem..??

I rang a local dealer's service dept up here today asking if any new software updates or upgrades for the LT Focus have been released by Ford recently and he replied no, but also said they would normally check the onboard computer for upgrades as part of a normal service .

Ours is nearly due for a 15000 service anyway - last software upgrade was performed during the early stages of us fighting the dealer up here with our problem (ie well over 6mths ago)
focus181 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
gotta love Thomson Ford

Getting them to install a new drive shaft for my noisy CV joints soon
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back. Had this bloody "ticking" on near to full lock when turning. Under warranty, the CVs were changed twice on the driver's side and once on the passenger. After a few days it always came back. Grr. Had the drive shafts changed numerous times too. I was not a happy chappy.

Took a first year mechanic to work out there was a slight distortion in the hub where the shaft spline goes in to it. With grease etc, and a not perfectly fitting spline and hub, an air pocket was created. Very small, but under certain loads, it "popped", reset, then popped again in very rapid succession. It was the ticking sound alright. Replaced the hub and all was good.

I was told that it went in to the history books, and is one of the first things they check now when such a claim arises. Think of the money and time they would have saved!!
Old 21-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
mohit

Our LT Focus is at Strapp Ford today getting a couple of things done. Mentioned the 1st gear thump PCM update to them. They don't know anything about it. They said they will look into it.
Old 21-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
They don't know anything about it.
Why doesn't that surprise me? As far as strapp ford are concerned, they know your car better than you do and there is nothing wrong with it. (even if the car is missing 4 wheels and a engine)
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
fishontherun
Starter Motor

I actually have made a few enquiry when first got the car, and they told me it's "normal operation", until recently I emailed the Sales Manager telling him how disappointed I was about the quality. So you guessed it, next day Service contacted me and ask to bring the car in so they could "attemp" to fix it. I had the 15k service done as well for the convenience.
I think you should channel your enquiry through the Sales people, it'd be more efficient than go to Service direct.
Old 21-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishontherun

I actually have made a few enquiry when first got the car, and they told me it's "normal operation", until recently I emailed the Sales Manager telling him how disappointed I was about the quality. So you guessed it, next day Service contacted me and ask to bring the car in so they could "attemp" to fix it. I had the 15k service done as well for the convenience.
I think you should channel your enquiry through the Sales people, it'd be more efficient than go to Service direct.
Well the sales manager was the one who sold us the Focus so yeah i might have to contact him if i get no where with the Service Dept.

Have you got any more info on the PCM update fishontherun?
Old 21-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
fishontherun
Starter Motor

hi mohit I just had a look a the paper, not much more details. in the diagnosis section it says " C&R change erratic" and solution is "upgrade P.C.M". I remember the service guy told me that this new software version is specifically to fix this problem. hope this help. if you need any specific details let me know I can try look into the paperworks :-)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I going to put this in the memory bank too.
Hope the others that are having this issue see this thread

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
focus181
Starter Motor

Our LT auto had its 15000 service yesterday and yes, there was an update for the pcu and yes, our thumping problem is now solved.
So much for "Customer Service" - was a pity that no-one from either the Dealer we purchased the car from, nor FORD Customer Care Centre themselves, had the foresight to contact us directly to advise of the availability of the PCU update - we had to find out ourselves through Forums like this. (In hindsite I suppose, that's why these Forums exist).
focus181 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus181
Our LT auto had its 15000 service yesterday and yes, there was an update for the pcu and yes, our thumping problem is now solved.
So much for "Customer Service" - was a pity that no-one from either the Dealer we purchased the car from, nor FORD Customer Care Centre themselves, had the foresight to contact us directly to advise of the availability of the PCU update - we had to find out ourselves through Forums like this. (In hindsite I suppose, that's why these Forums exist).
Mate, you got that exactly right! Forums are a very good source of Information.

Dusty :