Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Default Absolute CRRRRRRRAZY question!!!!

Ok, let me get the question out there...

Could you ever possibly fit a current tune Barra I6 into a Focus (namely LV) if it were based on some small RWD platform? (no boundaries - ie: money and equipment etc.)

Story: Sorry peeps, but this ain't gonna be a project or something (well by me anyway - god knows what someone will do one day) as I am not a) wealthy enough for such a project atm! and b) not 100% technically minded! Oh and chuck in c) have no time! lol!

Just as a crazy idea for a concept - wanting to know if it was humanly possible.

Cheers, Ben

fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

There's an XR6T powered Focus in existence, well according to youtube atleast. And if it were a small RWD platform, it wouldn't be a focus!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Nope... it'd be a Capri! (my conceptual idea)
Old 22-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Well anything is possible and I'm sure it could be done if the platform existed, but Ford would never produce it. A 4l small car is a little overkill, when the same thing could be done with a smaller, lighter turbo motor.
Old 22-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Even for a RS? :evilking: C'mon, perfect application for the N/A I6 overseas (apart from the obvious Fusion / Mondeo / Taurus etc.)! But. When you say overkill - I say FPV 310T powered Capri... Hand full anyone?
Old 22-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Dave R

I don't think the I6 would do wonders for the weight above the front suspension of the RS unfortunately. And Ford of America are neck deep in their ecoboost - which is basically the application of smaller displacement twin turbo motors delivering impressive power and torque without sending you running to the petrol station. I'd like to see the I6 overseas as much as you would, but right now there isn't much of a business case for it.
Old 22-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Yea, I see your point and agree 100% But at least my question has been answered - Thanks Adrenaline!
Old 23-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Sensibility and practicality never stopped anyone from doing anything.

Especially if you're American.

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Oh yea! I remember the V8 Focus now!!!

Anyways, about how much does the Barra weigh?

Seeing how we are talking about a modern day Capri true to its roots, it would weigh in the vicinity of 1000kg - where the original was ~950kg IIRC. The Cologne V6 found in it weighed about 140kg - so the Barra might not be too heavy yet for a car of this nature - remember - this concept is still on a lightweight RWD platform...
Old 23-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
BlackLS
yum

Said video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydkFocoIEM

The thing has major firewall and trans tunnel mods.

Pirtek Rally Team was also testing a RWD N/A 2.0 or 2.3L Duratec powered Focus.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Sensibility and practicality never stopped anyone from doing anything.

Especially if you're American.

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/
Damn you and your better googling skills :

I knew there was a V8 one I just couldn't find it anywhere but youtube.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

The US have a V8RWD conversion kit for the LR but I haven't seen anything over 2.5l in the newer Focus models even through they are a little larger. I'd imagine it is possible with a few mods to the firewall/transmission tunnel as above. Of course you then need to consider the fact that you may not be able to align the tranmission to the stock location of the gear stick (proper termininology??).

Myself I think I'd be looking at twin turbo mondeo v6 duratec (2.6l i think?) and maybe researching a AWD conversion (maybe modifing one from an evo?). You might call it my dream after I grow 80grand from my money tree. lol
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I've heard there's a particular model of Volvo AWD that uses the same engine as the XR5 (which is no surprise) but the transmission will bolt up. Just need to make the rear end fit, but i think it could be do-able.

As for making the shifter hole line up to a RWD gearbox, and angle grinder will fix that!!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

well, if you can get a 351 clevo into a focus, I can't see why not!

(Not that i could see a 351 happening till i saw it)
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post