Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Qantas Founders Museum

Hi all,

Has anyone been to the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach recently? Was it worth visiting?

I'm thinking of making the trip from Perth next April.

Cheers,

Ian

Old 31-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANUP
Hi all,

Has anyone been to the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach recently? Was it worth visiting?

I'm thinking of making the trip from Perth next April.

Cheers,

Ian
Yes it is if you are an aircraft enthusiest, do the wing walk. Longreach is not a bad place to visit at all. Stockmans hall of fame is a good half a day and the Commercial Hotel serves the second best steak I have ever eaten (commercial in barky is #1).

If you are coming from perth, fly to bris and then drive up the coast and back through the middle or vice-versa, there are heaps of fun things to do and see and most of it is FREE

Other good pubs, Crackow, Comercial @ Barcaldine, Hidaway @ Tiaro, Ilfracombe, Alpha and a lot more.

Tourism QLD has lots of maps and ideas

P.S. If you do go to any of these pubs don't pay out on the weird looking guys in cowboy hats, they may not be smart but they can lift heavy things as a friend of mine found out.....the hard way..
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mate. Yeah the wing walk had caught my eye. Do you recommend anywhere in particular to stay in Longreach?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
terri tx

My bosses son was there when the 747 was delivered (he flies for quantas). They where all worried it wouldnt bloody stop in time cause the runway was to short. He told me they would not be able to get it out of longreach for the same reason. He said they stripped it out before taking it, put the most worn brakes on it and removed any of the good things from the plane (don't knoew why, he told me but I cant remember).

I think hubby wants to take the kids there at christmas time, deffinatly worth it I think.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Holden Man

Got back from longreach about a month ago, took the missus on the back of the bike.

We stayed at the discovery holiday park (used to be known as Gunadoo caravan park). we stayed in a cabin, they were Ok, nothing flash and pretty cheap. and you could walk to the ASHOF and QFM.

Their are plenty of motels but make sure you book, it was busy.

The QFM is very good, I am no plane buff but it was good, We did the 747 and 707 tours. We took the full tour including the wing walk and cockpit tour,Its not what you would call cheap but worth it. It sounds odd but you will easily spend the day there, by the time you watch the AV presentations etc.

ASHOF is also worth the visit, lots of reading, very dedicated to the "Stockman" but it has a good amount of Australian history as well, we spent a full day their as well.
The ASHOF also has a restaurant, great feed, highly recommend.

Plenty of other towns around that have interesting stuff to see but time got us, Would go back for sure.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Holden Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
old_mate
Smash the Boost

What's the damage on a wing walk? I used to get paid to walk on wings haha.

yea, EBQ will never leave the desert, it's a really old -200 airframe now, Qantas don't even have any -300's anymore. Like most retiring airframes, they put all the high hours components on it to make it *just* airworthy before disposing of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Other good pubs, Crackow, Comercial @ Barcaldine, Hidaway @ Tiaro, Ilfracombe, Alpha and a lot more.
Alpha! I was up there for a month, the main hotel in town is a joke, arrogant indian fellow owns it. The golf club is where all the locals drink, it's a dive but the people are tops.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri tx
My bosses son was there when the 747 was delivered (he flies for quantas). They where all worried it wouldnt bloody stop in time cause the runway was to short. He told me they would not be able to get it out of longreach for the same reason. He said they stripped it out before taking it, put the most worn brakes on it and removed any of the good things from the plane (don't knoew why, he told me but I cant remember).
Heard a similar thing from a mate studying at Longreach Ag College at the time, was a huge task pulling it up!
Always makes me laugh though.... Qantas were first based in Winton, but Longreach managed to score the museum.

Last edited by Dazza TT; 02-09-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Dazza TT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Had a look at their website. Definitely considering planning a trip over and doing the whole tour, even if it is $115. Can anyone shed light as to why it said no photography in the 707?
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
old_mate
Smash the Boost

it was a bit wiiiiiiiiide as well

The 707, while a former Qantas airframe was most recently a Saudi Arabian Government VIP Plane, (John Travolta's is the same, ex QF but VIP config) and as such isn't allowed to be photographed (to the best of my knowledge) i believe that perhaps one day it'll get Qantas cabin put into it but parts must be hard to find.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.

Last edited by old_mate; 02-09-2009 at 10:01 PM.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been there twice now, I'm a QFOM member. Nothing quite like seeing such a large aircraft in an outback country town. The wing walk tour is great to do, done it twice now. The tour which takes you though the cockpit, avionics area and cargo hold is worth doing, just make sure you do it in the winter months. It's quite hot in Longreach in summer time. It was interesting to note at first Qantas did not think they would have any volunteers to fly EBQ to Longreach due to the risk involved landing on such a small runway- as it was there were so many offers from Qantas pilots they had to have a raffle to pick the crew. The aircraft was stripped to it's absolute minimum weight to ensure it would be able to land on the short runway. The two outer engines had to be switched off for the landing to ensure they did not ingest any dirt, as the outer engines were above the grass and not the tarmac.

I missed the opportunity to go through XBA, I was a couple of weeks early on my second trip. All the more reason to go back and check out XBA soon.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couple of pictures from when I was there in '06.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Been there twice now, I'm a QFOM member. Nothing quite like seeing such a large aircraft in an outback country town. The wing walk tour is great to do, done it twice now. The tour which takes you though the cockpit, avionics area and cargo hold is worth doing, just make sure you do it in the winter months. It's quite hot in Longreach in summer time. It was interesting to note at first Qantas did not think they would have any volunteers to fly EBQ to Longreach due to the risk involved landing on such a small runway- as it was there were so many offers from Qantas pilots they had to have a raffle to pick the crew. The aircraft was stripped to it's absolute minimum weight to ensure it would be able to land on the short runway. The two outer engines had to be switched off for the landing to ensure they did not ingest any dirt, as the outer engines were above the grass and not the tarmac.

I missed the opportunity to go through XBA, I was a couple of weeks early on my second trip. All the more reason to go back and check out XBA soon.
Very nice contribuion indeed.

Nice photos too.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO, I reckon the QANTAS museum was heaps better than the Stockmans Hall of Fame, it is just another museum, but the QANTAS one is good.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are just a couple of pics I took when I went back in '08. VH-XBA 'City of Canberra' had only recently arrived so a tour was not possible.

I really like Pratt and Whitney's logo, and 'Dependable Engine' slogan. Car engines and rwkw pales into insignificance when I look at these things. The new GE90-115B is truly a powerhouse!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Awesome stuff, there was a video of the 747 landing at Longreach, I have tried to find it, I think it was on ABC somewhere but to no avail.
Any ideas guys ?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
silicon

Here is the 707 landing anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbXQWbzTXk
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Awesome stuff, there was a video of the 747 landing at Longreach, I have tried to find it, I think it was on ABC somewhere but to no avail.
Any ideas guys ?
I thought I had it somewhere but can't find it.

Here's another 747 coming in for landing on an even smaller runway than Longreach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjpguwch3Sk

Check out this take off! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feGZ4...eature=related
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Second link does not work.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feGZ4l54Q
Old 04-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Very nice photography indeed.
Gotta tell you though, that 200 cockpit sure is old school.
What's really gross is all the buildup of dead skin and grime on the throttles.

Here's one of the videos of EBQ coming into Longreach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceCt2_hPoGY

Quote: