Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Engine surge / miss going uphill

Had a great drive yesterday from Melbourne up to Eden, NSW for a weeks holiday.

The car was excellent, ran so nicely UNTIL:

Towards the end of the journey when going uphill under load, either from cruise control OR me manually kicking down the auto to 2nd gear, the engine would surge / miss while accelerating. This only happened in 2nd gear, 3rd gear was ok. The rest of the time the car drove without complaint, even when being pushed (great driving road).

What could it be? All fluids are at full levels, had major service 5,000 kms ago, new plugs, new fuel filter 10,000 kms ago, and I only run it on 98RON premium.

Tranny? Fuel pump? Coil pack or leads?
Will also point out that since we got here, car has behaved itself again with no issues...

Any help appreciated!!

Dave.

Old 22-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Happened again today whilst out on another drive, this time it was surging in 3rd gear while accelerating uphill. surely somebody else has a clue as to what may be the problem?? Would rather have an idea of what could be wrong BEFORE I take it to ford and they charge me an arm and a leg...
Old 22-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

try leads
Old 22-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Do you have provisions to do a fuel pressure test?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

I don't think it's a fuel pressure issue, like I said the car has never done this before, and apart from the two occasions it's missed, it has driven as per normal, even when pushed. Have got new Eagle 8mm leads to go when I get back to Melbourne, so that should be good for that.

yesterday, actually locked the trans into 2nd and floored it uphill at around 90-100kmh, and it didn't miss a beat! This only confuses me more. What else could be causing the problem? If it's not fuel pump related, is it going to be ignition/spark related??
Old 25-09-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

catalytic convertor blocked? my mate had one block on him only occasionally and only when the motor was hot, another thing to check if your on gas check the earths near the engine computer lh kick panel my mates gas fitter did a pox job earthing henry and it came back to bite him 12 months later, i have to say Dave i reckon your best off testing your fuel pump pressure mate, it`ll drive you mad just guessing, i fitted a fuel gauge under the bonnet on mine just so i can keep an eye on the fuel pump health.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how did you go Dave?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

only got back from holiday yesterday....will look into it this week!!

Need to get a few things fitted (leads, new rotors & discs, LED parkers) so will get the mechanic to test fuel pump as well!!!

Will let you all know!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Rev55
Starter Motor

Dave

I brought a 2001 SR 4 weeks ago. It went fine for a week or more, then exactly the something started to happen. When I held it in 2nd and floored it this seemed to fix it for some time then away it would go again. I replaced the fuel filter and leads, then put half a bottle of nulon in half a tank. It seemed to be a be not as bad and not as often. I got the gearbox inspected, it was fine. The bloody thing hasn’t played up in 2 week and I’ve tried to load it up and make it happen. The wife has been on a couple of 100km return trips and it was as smooth as. I’ve got no real answers Dave as it still happen a couple of times (not as bad) after I made the changes and I’m not saying it won’t happen again. If it starts again, the plugs will be next, then the coil pack but at this stage it’s a pleasure to drive and I hope it stays that way. Just wanted you to know you wern't alone.

Regards Bernie
Rev55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

well mine's getting a service in about 10 days.....new leads going on....they'll do a fuel pump pressure test as well.....but when I explained it to my mechanic, he said it sounded like the leads could be the issue......I shall report back on how it goes!

BTW if you're putting the nulon stuff in, don't just get the injector cleaner stuff (red liquid in bottle), get either the 'Total Fuel System Cleaner', or if you can find it, the 'Fuel System Cleaner' (supposedly not for retail sale, only for trade use) - this stuff is even more potent, cheaper and Nulon guarantee that it will work!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When going uphill might be the deal here dude.
How full was the fuel tank ?
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

over half full at the time......mechanic asked me that too lol.......If it was around 1/4 left or less.....then I would have thought fuel tank as well.......when it first happened, the first thing I did while driving was look at the fuel tank meter......

Thats why I'll get them to pressure test the fuel pump, just for peace of mind.....
Old 18-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
over half full at the time......mechanic asked me that too lol.......If it was around 1/4 left or less.....then I would have thought fuel tank as well.......when it first happened, the first thing I did while driving was look at the fuel tank meter......

Thats why I'll get them to pressure test the fuel pump, just for peace of mind.....
did you ever get to the bottom of this prob
exactly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactly
did you ever get to the bottom of this prob
Yeah!

Had the entire fuel system (pump, lines, rails, injectors) pressure tested, all came back 100% OK....at the same time had new ignition leads put on - haven't had an issue since, so it may have been the leads....

Also at that service replaced the battery, 4 of the 6 cells weren't functioning properly, so it could have even been the battery dying out under heavy load...

Hard to say what exactly it was, as I had several things replaced & cleaned at the same service....but it hasn't happened since!
Old 18-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I knew it
Old 20-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I knew it
hehe yes you did *gives mr hardware a 'well done' sticker*
Old 20-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Mr Hardware

thanks mate
always happy to help!
Old 20-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the battery dying? lol is that even possible? how does that affect surging?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
the battery dying? lol is that even possible? how does that affect surging?
no idea!!!

but I had it replaced as it was faulty....so if it's not producing normal charge when the engine is under load, the engine may not operate as it should??
Old 21-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm... perhaps thats why i get the problem sometimes
i think my battery is as old as the damn car lol :P
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine does this aswell, noticable below 60kmh and especially when manoevuring to park. Cleaned out the throttle body today and siliconed up the plastic intake to throlle body join and it has seemed to have gone away. I noticed that when spraying brake cleaner around the intake manifold the idle changes at no. 1 cylinder so maybe a vacuum leak there, coil pack/HT leads have seen better days too so will change them in the weekend.
Wanna get to the bottom of it as it's a real pain in the ****, and I've managed 760km from 58 litres so am keen to see if I get better mileage without it surging constantly.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post