Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Disrupter
Starter Motor

Default Turbo Question

Hi All,

Has anyone gone down this route on a LR Zetec?

I have priced out a full Kit and all required Parts with the DIY Kit from Tom at Focus Power in the US. I have had the brakes put on (probabily a good thing just before i dumped my money into this)

Has anyone else got more info on the relation to Euro Focus's or installed another or had one custom built for them in Australia.

Or a Supercharger and information so that i can see how they all perform.

I am after something Different and the power and sound of a Turbo are a big drawcard and would prefer over a supercharger if i had the choice.

Want to spend my $,000's wisely and produce some impressive power.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Cheers,

Leighton

Disrupter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Herrod Motorsport installed one of Tom's turbo's for a guy called Resty, and had no end of problems. Continually blew head gaskets

One big issue is that compression ratio is 9.5:1 of the US Zetec, but 10:1 on the Euro Zetec. The difference is all in the cylinder head.

Resty didn't do his homework.

I'd advise Tom on this discrepancy and get his view as to whether his kit suits.

There was a tuner is Adelaide who put together a turbo kit for the LR Zetec......name started with A... ACE... something like that. I'll do a bit of a search.

If it was me, I'd be going to a dedicated turbo shop here (Nizpro??) and basing my kit on a what's been done in the UK.

In fact, if I was going to do it, I'd be trying to emulate the RS configuration. I'd get the "bunch of bananas" exhaust manifold from Primary Designs, and seeing if I could source intercooler and associated plumbing from an RS on ebay.co.uk, and look at whatever Garret turbo the UK guys use to upgrade the RS

ps Found it. ASE turbo kit

http://www.aseturbo.com/html/focus_turbo_kits.html
http://www.modyourcar.com.au/ase-tur...8r-320hp-p3647
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Disrupter
Starter Motor

Default I See

Hey i appreciate all the extra info, i had previously looked into the ASE basics but when i looked and did figures i was going to get alot more bang for my buck including more parts other than the kit, injectors LSD etc.

I have advised Tom in an email what you sent me via copy and paste and will see his response, although i will also contact ASE and see what they have to say.

I am wanting 200kw atw as my initial target goal and i know its high and in a FF traction issues, but i also travel on lots of 100kph zones and am sure once rolling it will be impressive.

I don't want to buy anything twice and am happy to build it up. Only issue with the UK stuff is the conversion rate makes it nasty (i do have family in UK that might be able to bring some parts with them on visits)

Talked to Rob today and looks like the Focus is still in his hands till the end of the week, im going to take a visit in the morning if i can.

All imput welcome hehe,

Cheers,

Leighton
Old 21-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I know this is extra money, but you could overcome the compression issue by buying a Ford Racing head. It will bolt straight onto the zetec block, PLUS give you much better airflow than the stock head. With the US exchange rate as it is, not a bad option.

( Of course I'd then be tempted to get the Ford Racing intake manifold as well, and you'd really start to see some numbers!)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Disrupter
Starter Motor

I'll need to have a chat and work on figures etc as i have a healthy budget (awaiting to be used all saved) I am a fan of the Turbo and i know a few months ago the budget with exchange rate blew to $9.5k AUD now its $7.5k for the same stuff great difference.

I won't spend that if i don't need but i will be wanting great power and something very impressive for that coin.

Cheers