Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Decision on Future Falcon Wagon coming soon.

Personally I think it could survive as it has been stable in numbers. But the money to spend on the vehicle will need to be minimal.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25766D00223BEC

Quote:
Axe hovers over Falcon wagon

Ford Australia to decide the fate of its Falcon wagon within months

13 November 2009

By JAMES STANFORD

THE fate of Ford's ageing Falcon wagon will be decided in the next few months.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela today said a decision on the future of the load hauler will be made next month or next January.

The most likely option is phase out the large Falcon wagon and rely on the mid-size Mondeo wagon, which was introduced four months ago, to fill the gap created alongside the Territory medium SUV.

Ford has built a Falcon wagon alongside the sedan in Australia since September 1960, when the wood-panelled Squire wagon was introduced two months after the XK sedan.

It now produces 400 to 500 Falcon wagons a month, most of which are bought by fleets. While previous wagons were available in various trim levels, including XR versions in the mid 1990s, the current model is only available as a base XT model.

Mr Burela said no decision had been made on the Falcon wagon, but hinted it was not long for this world.

“The great challenge we have is to make sure that we are not competing with ourselves in the market,” Mr Burela said.

“What we are seeing is that more and more and more of our customers that had really bought into the Falcon wagon proposal are now looking at the Mondeo (wagon) and saying 'Wow, the Mondeo package is outstanding'.

“It is a modern car with modern technology, is the only vehicle in its class to have voice control as standard, its package verses the Sportswagon is better in terms of what you can carry. So we are looking at this and asking our customers: 'What is it that you want?'.”

The current Falcon wagon is a BF MkIII model that was not upgraded to the FG model specification with the sedan and ute models in mid-2008. Its rear design has not been changed since the AU Falcon of 1998 and the leaf-spring rear suspension dates back even further.

It is only available with the last-generation petrol six-cylinder engine or the E-Gas equivalent and uses the old four-speed automatic transmission from Drive Systems International.

Ford Australia has spent very little money on the vehicle, but did introduce electronic stability control in May 2008.

It has considered killing off the vehicle several times and senior executives expected it to die a quick death after the introduction of the Territory SUV in 2004 - a car Ford thought would appeal to fleets.

But fleet customers, including big buyers such as Telstra, opted to keep purchasing the Falcon wagon.

The big Ford faced another challenge with the introduction of the Holden VE Commodore-based Sportswagon in July 2008, which is popular with private customers, but even that failed to kill off the Falcon wagon immediately because fleets appreciated both the Ford’s cheap price and massive load area.

Holden said when it introduced the Sportswagon, which had a smaller load area, that the current Falcon and previous Commodore wagon were the largest car-based wagons in the world.

As they are the most prominent customers of the Falcon wagon, the large fleets will ultimately decide its fate.

“There is Telstra and a range of other customers that we have had a long-term relationship with and yes we have been in constant dialogue with them,” Mr Burela said.

“We have shared with them some of our thoughts, they have given us some of their early feedback on what their needs are and all of that is being taken into consideration in terms of where we ultimately go.”

Mr Burela said that Ford Australia would not let its customers down.

“What we are looking at is how do we not disappoint - that we in fact delight and create a reason for people to stay with wagon, whether that be Falcon or Mondeo,” he said.

“With the two of them sitting there side by side, we are just letting the market tell us what we want. Once we have received that, which we think will take another few months, one and a half or two months.”

If it is killed off, the Falcon wagon will be the second locally manufactured Ford to cease production in recent years, following the iconic long-wheelbase Fairlane/LTD's demise in late 2007.
Old 14-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Sounds like the fate of the wagon has already been decided, considering that they have an alternative, the mondeo wagon, all ready in line to fill the void.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Sounds like the fate of the wagon has already been decided, considering that they have an alternative, the mondeo wagon, all ready in line to fill the void.
Just remember that the Falcon wagon was canned in 06 and came back. Granted that the Mondeo Wagon wasn't around but it seem's to have sold pretty slowly so far.
Old 14-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford still make more money selling 400 wagons a month than they would selling 1000 Mondeo's.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ford still make more money selling 400 wagons a month than they would selling 1000 Mondeo's.
...and an LPG Falcon wagon is cheaper to run, has better performance and can lug a whole heap more crap in the boot...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Ford is selling all they can make at the Aussie factory every month. Currently that's 2400 sedan, 400 wagon, 1000 Ute and 1000 Terri.

So, the question is, do they need to keep the wagon going? I say yes, because it is currently still 5-10% of volume.

I do think that they could update to FG sport wagon and increase total sales. If nothing else, for those wanting something different, but still a stylish Falcon. You could conceivably get two purchases/leases out of some people during the one lifecycle.

Many people buying a VE s/wagon have probably had a sedan, their lease ended, didn't want to change brands (or couldn't), but didn't want the 'same' car again. So instead they got the s/wagon. I'd suggest as many as 1 in 3. It provides a second option for people to either stay or to purchase. I reckon 1 in 3 were existing fleet buyers. The last 1 in 3 are converts from either SUVs or conquest sales. Effectively GMH spent their money to get this extra 3-400 sales a month.

I believe that FG sportwagon could sell in the 700/mth range so long as it offered some more room than VE, but not drastically less than BF3.

PS. Yes, i'd buy a new FG sportwagon when we are ready (18mths away) to update. I'd love to have a sporty wagon with IRS. Otherwise it will be most likely 1yo Terri.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'll put it this way, a Territory isn't an option for me as i feel they are too large and if i wanted something that big i'll get an explorer.

If they get Falcon Wagon to a Sporty image & feel as per Holden Sportswagen, then they will have made the GF's new car..

Hurry up Ford the clock is ticking.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To go all the way of the sportwagon and Mondeo, ( form at the expense of function) would be a mistake. I say they can combine the room and black-box of the BF with a dose of kinetic style, a large area is easier to work with, they just need to be creative with the window-line, rear lights and add some stylish features.
That way, the only pressings they would need to add are rear door skins, bootlid and maybe roofline. I don't see how it doesn't make sense to update if sales arent flagging. Granted Mondeo wags looks pretty practical, but Falcon wagonis a perennial favourite with plenty of potential yet.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I need the falcon wagon. I don't want a front wheel drive mondeo, and I dont want a teritory.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
davids_gxl

I need a wagon 2.
davids_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Ford will be cramming a square peg into a round hole by replacing the Falcon Wagon with the Mondeo. Rather than maintaining their 400 odd wagon sales they’ll probably lose their entire wagon market. Investing minimal dollars in the current BFIII wagon to make it euro IV compliant and keeping it available to fleets has to be their best option, until another alternative can be found. Updating the XF Ute worked during the EA era; I can’t see any difference here.
Old 15-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

There would more then likely be added expenses for Ford to continue producing (effectively) out dated panels along side the FG. For 400 units a month it might not be worth it.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst I can see people's points re 'needing' the Falcon wagon, think about this rationally...

Ford build 400 wagons a month and sells them to fleets for what I imagine would be high 20s - low 30s (can someone confirm?)

With FG production stretched to capacity, if Ford can stop wagon production and replace it with 400 Terry's & FG Falcs, sales of which are concentrated more on the higher spec, higher profit models, surely it makes sense from a purely business perspective, even if the development cost of AU-BF has been ammortised long ago, therefore increasing the wagon's per unit profits...

The aim of the day has to be to make as large a profit as possible, not simply keeping 400 people a month happy if it sacrifices that.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
The aim of the day has to be to make as large a profit as possible, not simply keeping 400 people a month happy if it sacrifices that.
If you upset your existing fleet business by not providing a vehicle suiting their requirements you stand to lose a lot more than just that sale. For example Fleet “A” is an exclusive National Fleet Ford customer buying 5 Falcon Wagons & 20 Falcon Sedans on average monthly. They’re not happy with the Mondeo as the replacement to the Falcon wagon, and another manufacturer has a more suitable range of vehicles. What happens then? You guessed it; Ford stands to lose a lot more than 400 units / month. Even Toyota went through this when they tried to replace the Camry Wagon with a Corolla.

I’d also doubt discontinuing the Wagon would automatically mean more Sedan sales. Ford AU can/has built more vehicles; they’re currently tracking to what they can sell.

Last edited by R-Design; 15-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

They would need to sell a crapload more wagons than 4-500/month to justify the investment on an FG wagon.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

We are using the Transit at work.. Has good loading and room plus it drives well for what it is... All our wagons and utes have had there rear springs and bush's upgraded...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

talking to a mate of mine yesterday who works for konica minolta. they previously had commo wagons but since ve the wagon is no longer an option for them as it is too small in the rear. they have now switched to falcon wagons (just ordered 80 odd). there isn't much else out there as an option. he did mention that they may look at the mondeo though as it still has a bigger luggage area than the commo.

my last 4 cars have been falcon wagon (currently bf2 eas) but i don't buy new so i'm at the mercy of whatever ford decides to do. normally i update around 3yrs. that will be 2 yrs time. hardly woth updating from bf2 to bf3. the other thing is in 2 yrs time my youngest will be 3yrs old and we are considering going to a sedan. i do like the wagons though.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Sedan sales are going ok atm so if the wagon gets killed they should be able to sell a couple of hundred more sedans to make up the loss.
Another thing is he mentioned they were in talks with current fleet partners so if they werent happy with going to Mondeo then Id say the Falcon wagon would keep going.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Obviously a 'sports wagon' is out of the question as that will just desert all their fleet customers like holden did. So the only options i see is to upgrade the wagon as cheap as possible, or maby a sandman type ute specifically designed for work usage, which could easily be done on the cheap, and i doubt the companys would really miss the rear seats anyway, as i see a heap of those holden combo utes running around.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
If you upset your existing fleet business by not providing a vehicle suiting their requirements you stand to lose a lot more than just that sale. For example Fleet “A” is an exclusive National Fleet Ford customer buying 5 Falcon Wagons & 20 Falcon Sedans on average monthly. They’re not happy with the Mondeo as the replacement to the Falcon wagon, and another manufacturer has a more suitable range of vehicles. What happens then? You guessed it; Ford stands to lose a lot more than 400 units / month.
That is exactly right. The bigger picture needs to be looked at.
A few years back I use to supply a the South East Qld region large Multi National Company.
My company had to deliver to their store on a daily basis 6 days a week, one of these stores was
along way out of any of my drivers usual routes. In fact it was actually costing me a
lose of around $15 dollars in diesel and $25 in wages every delivery.
But if I said no it just isn't viable to do this drop any longer I stood to lose all of these stores
which would have cost me to lose around 90k per year.

What I am saying is at the end of the day saving few dollars by not meeting a market need can
cost you a lot more in the long run so sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet and cop the loses.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #21
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Fill the void my butt. anybody who believes a Mondeo wagon is a suitable stand-in needs to open thier eyes. Ford have obviously already given up the fight.

Quite some time ago I was in line for a position that included a lease vehicle of my choice. A wagon was the practical option, but I wanted a performance model, none of that 'old fart woolworths' anti-style crap. I missed out on the position, but was ready to sign for an SS Sportwagon, as there was/is no Ford option.

An FG XR8 wagon would look really sweet in my driveway, but since Ford have thier head up thier butt I would happily look at the alternative, and that means no Ford in my driveway anymore, as the wife owns a Magna and I'd have to part with my beloved Ghia since I can't afford three cars.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 15-11-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

i doubt you would fit any more in the back of a ve wagon than you would in a sedan boot.

people who argue that ford have lost the plot because they don't build a wagon in all sorts of variants (sports/luxury) are the ones who can't see the big picture. once upon a time you could buy a xr6 wagon (ed, ef) both these models combined sold little more than 800units over 2-3 years. there is no market for them.

when the ve wagon was released, they sold extremely well and all the critics said - told you so blah blah blah. a few months on and its not so rosy. i don't see anywhere near the amount of holden wagons anymore and adelaide is holden country. it would be interesting to see the sales split for the commodore sedan/wagon now.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
when the ve wagon was released, they sold extremely well and all the critics said - told you so blah blah blah. a few months on and its not so rosy. i don't see anywhere near the amount of holden wagons anymore and adelaide is holden country. it would be interesting to see the sales split for the commodore sedan/wagon now.
It seems to have gone from 1600 to 1000 quite quickly, at least the Terri was a few years as it dropped down to this level (no surprising as it hasn't really changed).
Old 15-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #24
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Territory sales slipped when newer competition was released. ie Captiva and new Kluger, as can be seen in the Technical resources graphs.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #25
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I think if the wagon is to go then it should go out with a bang, so why not send it out with a coyote v8 with zf box, limited slip diff, some decent colors & body kit with a limit production of 500. After all it will cost them next to zip to put the whole thing together, they have built plenty of things from the spare parts bin before. And when they sell them off in a flash, as so many times i keep hearing why doesn't ford put a v8 in a wagon. Maybe then they might rethink the wagon.

Last edited by cosmo20btt; 15-11-2009 at 08:19 PM.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #26
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
To go all the way of the sportwagon and Mondeo, ( form at the expense of function) would be a mistake. I say they can combine the room and black-box of the BF with a dose of kinetic style, a large area is easier to work with, they just need to be creative with the window-line, rear lights and add some stylish features.
That way, the only pressings they would need to add are rear door skins, bootlid and maybe roofline. I don't see how it doesn't make sense to update if sales arent flagging. Granted Mondeo wags looks pretty practical, but Falcon wagonis a perennial favourite with plenty of potential yet.
Sorry to burst the bubble but......

New Roof is 3 dies.
New door inner and outer is 16 dies
New body sides will be 8 dies
New liftgate inner and outer is 8 dies

At 100k to build a die we are already over 3 mill and not one bit of r & d has been done, nor crash testing etc. Also, you would most likely need to modify the floorpan, etc. It will cost near on 20 - 30 mill just to give it a nice ****-end. Averaging 3k profit on each unit sold, you will need to sell 10,000 before you even earn a cent. And remember, this is only a facelift.........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 15-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Sorry to burst the bubble but......

New Roof is 3 dies.
New door inner and outer is 16 dies
New body sides will be 8 dies
New liftgate inner and outer is 8 dies

At 100k to build a die we are already over 3 mill and not one bit of r & d has been done, nor crash testing etc. Also, you would most likely need to modify the floorpan, etc. It will cost near on 20 - 30 mill just to give it a nice ****-end. Averaging 3k profit on each unit sold, you will need to sell 10,000 before you even earn a cent. And remember, this is only a facelift.........
Good post Gobes...

IMO the Falcon Wagon is on shakey ground !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #28
STHSV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
I think if the wagon is to go then it should go out with a bang, so why not send it out with a coyote v8 with zf box, limited slip diff, some decent colors & body kit with a limit production of 500. After all it will cost them next to zip to put the whole thing together, they have built plenty of things from the spare parts bin before. And when they sell them off in a flash, as so many times i keep hearing why doesn't ford put a v8 in a wagon. Maybe then they might rethink the wagon.
This is a really, really good idea. The leaf springs would be the only thing letting the concept down.
STHSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell you what, get 500 people to put a 10k deposit down and Ford MIGHT look into it....
Old 16-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #30
ColourHide
Boooooost

The territory is better equipped and priced, it's going to be hard to justify another falcon wagon.