Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
hrdcor

Default S1 Fairlane Suspension

Gday,

Time to fix up the lane suspension and while chasing quotes have been told everything from $999 to $2300, with some very vague information about what is done.

Key questions are what am I looking for in shocks and springs?

While under there, bushes, sway bar anything else recommended?

Want to lower about 1 - 2 inches from standard height and tighten up the epic bodyroll.

Am i best to drive in driveaway from a shop or source parts and diy?

As always, all help appreciated.

Old 17-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
buickman
buickman

If you can do the work yourself it's a lot cheaper and fairly easy to do. Get a repair manual to make things easier.
I would use front and back Kings/L and either pedders or other good sports shocks. Have a look at the rubber bushes and I would only replace if they are look shoddy or worn.
Also you will require a rear camber adjust kit for the IRS as only the XR's and some Tickford suspension Ghias had the adjuster kit but most Fairmont Ghias, Fairlanes and LTD's never had them from factory.
Some cars need the front adjusting ratchets but most can be aligned with shims when lowered.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
hrdcor

Cheers buickman. So its all pretty self explanatory then? Don't mind doing it myself, love the idea of cheaper.
Been searching and reading like crazy on here but there doesn't seem to be much said bout the lane suspension.
So these camber caster kits easy to get a hold of?
Springs and shocks seem straight forward enough.
Old 18-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Sounder
Starter Motor

Watching this thread for useful info. Might look at my S1 Fairlaine suspension soon.
Sounder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdcor
Cheers buickman. So its all pretty self explanatory then? Don't mind doing it myself, love the idea of cheaper.
Been searching and reading like crazy on here but there doesn't seem to be much said bout the lane suspension.
So these camber caster kits easy to get a hold of?
Springs and shocks seem straight forward enough.
The Fairlane would be same as the Fairmont Ghia.

The rear kit for the IRS you require is P/N ( ER 5K500 ART ) from Ford or Ford wreckers you will also need a good jack & a 18mm socket or spanner to undo the top ball joint on the front end prepare for 1/2 day to do it if you have not done it before as the rear is easy but the front can be frustrating getting the front ones out.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
AuV8Fairlane
Fast Lanes Inc.

Hey guys, just thought i'd share my experience with rebuilding the suspension on my Fairlane. Just to clear a few things up the IRS setup on Fairlanes/Ltd's is the same in regards to bushes and shock fitment as Fairmont or XR8. But obviously there are some tweaks to XR8 like the rear camber kit, which can dial in or out 1.5 degree camber if i remember correctly (Got mine from ford for about $50). Just keep in mind the extra weight/wheelbase of Fairlanes and LTD's when chosing springs and shocks especially for the rear.

I recently replaced nearly every bush in the suspension with the nolathane equivalent, replaced all ball joints, front wheel bearings, added thread adjustable camber/castor kit to the front and adjustable Koni's all round with King Springs SL's, also replaced the tie rod end for toe in/out adjustment on the IRS as well. Some bushes are really quite easy to do and some like the front lower control arm - inner front (the big one) are well lets say not fun at all...

If you have any questions would be more than happy to help out. Matt.
Old 19-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Hey mate,
Sounds like an unreal combo you have on the fairlane! Could you please give a run down on the prices and part numbers for those as the suspension on mine is just about knackered. Any other mods planned?
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
AuV8Fairlane
Fast Lanes Inc.

Sure, starting with the front end the nolathane parts are:
Lower control arm - inner front P/N 45344 ( Press req'd to change, not easy )
Lower control arm - inner rear P/N 45343 ( Press req'd to change, not as bad )
Upper control arm - inner P/N 45341 ( Bushes only if you don't need camber kit OR)

With the upper control arm they have 3 camber/castor kits: ( comes with the Upper control arm bushes, they sell them per side so 2 req'd )
Shim adjustable +/-1.5 camber/caster P/N 45342 (Good for std to low)
Shim adjustable +/-2.5 camber/caster P/N 45453 (Good for anything lower)
Thread adjustable +/-2.5 camber/caster P/N 45342X (Finer adjustment)

Shock absorber bush on lower control arm P/N 43035
Shock absorber upper P/N 43089 ( I didn't bother with this one )
And they have sway bar mounts in 22,24,26,27,28mm

These are good for all AU series and BA

Rear IRS only are:
Lower control arm - inner P/N 46207
Upper control arm - inner P/N 46206
Shock absorber to control arm P/N 43035 ( Same as front )
Shock absorber upper strut mount P/N 44022 ( I didn't bother with this one )
Sway bar mount 18mm P/N 42957
Toe link - inner P/N 46246

These are good for all AU series

All the bushes depending on what you get say $500-$1000
I got the Koni's for $1200
I did all the work myself and had access to a 40ton press, put aside a minimum 2 days at least. Next on the list will be 3.45 LSD, tougher auto and more power!
Old 22-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Thanks heaps for the info. Sounds like your fairlane is comin along well. Good luck with it.
Old 23-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
hrdcor

This thread just hit paydirt. The first comprehensive list of suspension parts for a lane I have seen. Cheers Matt. Legend.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

just printed off the list... thanks bud...
now i'll get to buying all the bits my lane needs...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuV8Fairlane
Sure, starting with the front end the nolathane parts are:
Lower control arm - inner front P/N 45344 ( Press req'd to change, not easy )
Lower control arm - inner rear P/N 45343 ( Press req'd to change, not as bad )
Upper control arm - inner P/N 45341 ( Bushes only if you don't need camber kit OR)

With the upper control arm they have 3 camber/castor kits: ( comes with the Upper control arm bushes, they sell them per side so 2 req'd )
Shim adjustable +/-1.5 camber/caster P/N 45342 (Good for std to low)
Shim adjustable +/-2.5 camber/caster P/N 45453 (Good for anything lower)
Thread adjustable +/-2.5 camber/caster P/N 45342X (Finer adjustment)

Shock absorber bush on lower control arm P/N 43035
Shock absorber upper P/N 43089 ( I didn't bother with this one )
And they have sway bar mounts in 22,24,26,27,28mm

These are good for all AU series and BA

Rear IRS only are:
Lower control arm - inner P/N 46207
Upper control arm - inner P/N 46206
Shock absorber to control arm P/N 43035 ( Same as front )
Shock absorber upper strut mount P/N 44022 ( I didn't bother with this one )
Sway bar mount 18mm P/N 42957
Toe link - inner P/N 46246

These are good for all AU series

All the bushes depending on what you get say $500-$1000
I got the Koni's for $1200
I did all the work myself and had access to a 40ton press, put aside a minimum 2 days at least. Next on the list will be 3.45 LSD, tougher auto and more power!
Are the rear part numbers for Nolathane? Or are they standard Fraud gear?
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The most expensive bushes in the fairlanes..or any IRS AU is the rear OUTTER ball joints

they join the control arms to the upright/brake assembly
at $330 for the set of 4 (ford only part).. plus the labour required to fit (remove and refit irs cradle..and have the bushes/ball joints pressed out (was a couple hundred dollars from memory by pedders. thats all I got them to do was fit the bushes)

I had King Spring Superlows in both mine and Debs cars also Boge shocks
I can definitely say they are AWESOME for comfort and handling(when combined with decent wheel and tyre combo(20s and 16s don't handle too great at both ends of the spectrum)

remove and refit of springs and shocks is easy peezy
just undo the upper ball joints for easier access to get the spring etc out and get a friend to stand on the brake rotor to push it down more

sway bars would be a good upgrade

I have a pair of shim type castor camber kits in my lane wreck if anybody is chasing them..
let them go for $80 for the full set(left and right sides)

DEFINITELY diy the shocks and springs and camber kits
bushes you will need a press for
Old 25-11-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
AuV8Fairlane
Fast Lanes Inc.

Hey Slo au xr8 all those part numbers are for Nolathane bushes only. Just a note the front parts i've listed will do ALL AU series 1,2,3 (only swaybar stuff is different in series 1) and ALL BA and BF's. Rear is for AU IRS ONLY! Also does all models across the relevant series eg. fairmont, xr or Fairlane. Very true blackers the IRS control arm outer's are a spherical joint / rose joint. I'm yet to do mine as there is no movement in them yet. But from what i've seen you can press them out without removing the whole IRS cradle. If they are anything like the ba/f's they can only be pressed in/out in one direction as the bore in which they fit into will have a very slight taper. I'll have to find out more.

Also a good test for checking the IRS tie rod ball joint and the condition of these spherical joints is to first jack up one back wheel till the wheel clears the ground and put your hands on the tyre at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and try to rock the wheel. If there is any movement say more than 1mm at the tyre then something is wearing. If there is then pull the wheel off taking all safety precautions while doing so and do the same to the rotor and look at the tie rod ball joint (at the rear side of the upright has a long rod with adjusting nuts on it ). If there is no movement there then it will be in these spherical joints. Now repeat for the other side. Hope this is of some help to you guys. Matt.

EDIT: Also make sure the rotor is bolted down with your wheel nuts when you take the wheel off and rock the rotor and also check the tie rod inner bush (other end of the adjustable rod near the back of the diff).

Last edited by AuV8Fairlane; 25-11-2009 at 05:00 AM.
AuV8Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
The Fairlane would be same as the Fairmont Ghia.

The rear kit for the IRS you require is P/N ( ER 5K500 ART ) from Ford or Ford wreckers you will also need a good jack & a 18mm socket or spanner to undo the top ball joint on the front end prepare for 1/2 day to do it if you have not done it before as the rear is easy but the front can be frustrating getting the front ones out.
Hey guys,
The correct part number is ER 5K500 AKT. Just rang Ford to order mine hope this helps other Fairlane owners.