Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
EB-92
Plus Buster

Default Car Contemplations.

Hey everyone.
As the title describes im contemplating a new car, however, theres a good story to this before i rack of the choice.
Mid year i decided i was going to do a 408 stroker into my 1992 EB XR8, for everything to be completed to MY spec which is quite high its going to be about 20 grand, then i got thinking thats a fair bit of money considering B series XR8's go for half that now days. So ive been having contemplations of selling my EB XR8, the stroker gear etc and buying a B series XR8 however im just not sure if id be better off in a long run perspective and even a performance perspective to do this idea ?. Whats everyones thoughts on this ?.
Ill add ive also considered a TE50 as i was a HUGE fan of the AU falcons and i like the idea of a 250kw 347 windsor.

Thanks in advance for any input etc .
Cheers.
Rodney

EB-92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB-92
Hey everyone.
As the title describes im contemplating a new car, however, theres a good story to this before i rack of the choice.
Mid year i decided i was going to do a 408 stroker into my 1992 EB XR8, for everything to be completed to MY spec which is quite high its going to be about 20 grand, then i got thinking thats a fair bit of money considering B series XR8's go for half that now days. So ive been having contemplations of selling my EB XR8, the stroker gear etc and buying a B series XR8 however im just not sure if id be better off in a long run perspective and even a performance perspective to do this idea ?. Whats everyones thoughts on this ?.
Ill add ive also considered a TE50 as i was a HUGE fan of the AU falcons and i like the idea of a 250kw 347 windsor.

Thanks in advance for any input etc .
Cheers.
Rodney
show me where!! id buy one in a heartbeat

how attached are you to your EB? a 408 stroker in an EB would be alot cooler than a stocker b-series XR8..
Old 27-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Spending $20k on the EB would be a decision made with the heart, not the head. Personally I'd hunt for a T series, they are still one of my favourite cars and I'd love having one in the driveway. B series XR8s are nice of course, but you can't beat the exclusivity of having a T series, or the joy of building up your EB. Tough decision, glad it's not mine!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Go the T, you'll never regret it.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

If it were me, I would go the T series, if you get the BA, you would end up with just another BA, but T series, they are a bit special.
Old 27-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hey everyone.
Mid year i decided i was going to do a 408 stroker into my 1992 EB XR8, for everything to be completed to MY spec which is quite high its going to be about 20 grand, then i got thinking thats a fair bit of money considering B series XR8's go for half that now days.
Not mocking you, but one has to be realistic with prices in order for you to do accurate research.
A BA XR8 for $10k, I think it would be a bag of bolts. As others say a Tseries is abit more special but I would say you will have to spend $15-17k at least and even those I would say are not prime examples.
Old 28-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Go the T series mate. If i had the money, id buy one of those over a BF XR8 any day!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
If it were me, I would go the T series, if you get the BA, you would end up with just another BA, but T series, they are a bit special.
With an EB XR it is just that with a big engine. A T series as mentioned above is a bit special and a more complete performance package.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
EB-92
Plus Buster

Wow so many replies .
Well i think the B series XR is out of the question, its going to be between the TE50 or my 408-XR8. I hate make decisions lol.
The 10G figure on a B series 8 ive seen at repo auctions for even down to 6G, ive seen some sell on ebay aswell for around 11-12, though im talking 02-03 BA's, not 2006 BF's lol.
Anyway i got about 6 months before i have to make the decision final on what im doing, this has just made it alot easier. Thankyou everyone for your replies ill report back on what my decision be but from most of the posts im leaning towards a TE50 though if i get one i want a manual T3 which are the most expensive of the lot, but as i said i got 6 months .
Thanks again everyone.
Rodney.
Old 28-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my B-series xr8 but if I were in your shoes I would be in a manual T3.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Or... Drumroll... Putting some of those stroker bits and pieces into the T series?!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Why not buy something else as a daily and retire the EB to work on it?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
EB-92
Plus Buster

I have definately thought about that, though i have a road bike to cart myself around when nessecary so fuel isnt really the issue, its just a matter of if im wasting my money, though how many EB XR8's are getting around with a 408 stroker haha. I have always liked the TE50's but if i had the money id buy a 2004 stang lol.
Decisions Decision Decisions, worst part of life lol.
Old 29-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I have definately thought about that, though i have a road bike to cart myself around when nessecary so fuel isnt really the issue, its just a matter of if im wasting my money, though how many EB XR8's are getting around with a 408 stroker haha. I have always liked the TE50's but if i had the money id buy a 2004 stang lol.
Decisions Decision Decisions, worst part of life lol.
Impulse buy on the day. With either decision you're going to regret not choosing the other option anyway.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Go the T

not that im biased or anything...
Old 29-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Bagain with a bias..

Buy the T, it's a keeper, long after the BA is worth nothing or the EB is on its 5th motor the T will still bring a smile to your face.

And you can always mod the T later.
Old 29-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

id do the 408 in the EB. sure, a T series would be great, but the EB would be one of a kind, something you built yourself, and you can look at it and say to yourself "i achieved this, i built it". it can be a hard desicion and a T series would be wicked fun to own/drive...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
EB-92
Plus Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
id do the 408 in the EB. sure, a T series would be great, but the EB would be one of a kind, something you built yourself, and you can look at it and say to yourself "i achieved this, i built it". it can be a hard desicion and a T series would be wicked fun to own/drive...
Exactly that is what makes me reluctant towards a TE50, the only reason im doing this whole build is for a self acheivment purpose, well that and a wicked quick car but none the less as you said i can look at it and say i did this, the reason it does what it does is because of my own 2 hands and id really REALLY like to be able to say that.
In the end its still going to cost me the same regardless. Just ill either have a TE50 or a 408 10s EB XR8 that i did myself. Though as alot have said the TE50 is something special, even when falcons are gone and finished the TE50 will still be looked upon as the best of its time, the final and last thing that tickford had with ford though i cant sit there and say i did that so thats what makes all of this a very hard decision. One will be special to me, the other will be special in general.
Old 29-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

you can always build your EB now, and in a year or two grab a T series. then you'll have both. its just that with the EB you get a sence of achievement that you won't get with the T. blood sweat and tears poured into a car do more than dollars ever will...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Go and drive a T Series first is all ill say
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
EB-92
Plus Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
you can always build your EB now, and in a year or two grab a T series. then you'll have both. its just that with the EB you get a sence of achievement that you won't get with the T. blood sweat and tears poured into a car do more than dollars ever will...
I've never heard anything so true in my entire life haha. Well by the time i have the money again for a T series they maybe cheaper aswell so all in all it could well work out better in the end.

I'd love to take a TE50 for a test drive but finding one to take one is a bit of a battle. As it has im only 22, im kinda at the age im look at for the type that does burnouts and other idiotic driving habbits.