Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Fiesta Drives Away with the 2009 Best Car Awards

Ford Fiesta has reinforced its popularity with motorists by scooping the pool at this year’s car of the year awards.

Last night, the Ford Fiesta LX took home the title of Australia’s Best Small Car 2009 in Australia’s Best Car Awards. Presented by the Australian Automobile Association on behalf of Australia's Motoring Clubs, the judges praised the Fiesta LX for its value for money, safety, security and space.

In November, the Ford’s Fiesta CL grabbed the honours in this year’s Drive Car of the Year Awards 2009 (DCOTY) for Best Small Car Under $20,000 – the first win ever for the Ford Fiesta in this category.

Released onto the market yesterday, the latest addition to the Fiesta family, the new Ford Fiesta ECOnetic topped the most efficient cars on the road by winning Cars Guide Green Car of the Year (COTY).

The Ford Fiesta ECOnetic, which re-set the fuel economy benchmark this year at 3.7L/100km and produces only 98 grams of carbon for each kilometre it travels, took the title from other Green COTY finalists including the Toyota Prius hybrid and Mini Cooper D.

Australia’s most fuel efficient car, the ECOnetic, was also praised for its affordability, being nearly $10,000 cheaper than its closest competitor the Mini Cooper D.

Ford Australia President and CEO, Marin Burela said "The latest awards recognise Ford Fiesta's position as the leading small car in Australia whilst the Cars Guide Green Car of the Year - the only green car award in Australia – strengthens the ECOnetic’s reputation for ‘best in class’ fuel efficiency and value for money.”

The new Ford Fiesta ECOnetic went on sale yesterday (Tuesday, 1 December) priced at $24,990 driveaway.

Source: Ford media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats great news for Ford!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

That's good to hear. It is a great little car and I certainly have been seeing a lot of them on the roads of late.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Not a fan of the look of the new Fiesta but the model before it looked fantastic IMO - sat beside one today and I think it's one of the best looking small cars on the road.. Did it scoop any awards in its time?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

No good news for Aus tho.. not one locall built model has won anything.. well... except for the Aurion which is probably mostly imported and partly built here.

Our car industry is in strife with results like this and an upcoming reduction in import taxes will make it worse . :-(
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
rodderz

Hopefully they can get enough into the country if they sell in good numbers, I heard there was a lot of interest in previous Euro models but some people were put off by the long wait.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
No good news for Aus tho.. not one locall built model has won anything.. well... except for the Aurion which is probably mostly imported and partly built here.

Our car industry is in strife with results like this and an upcoming reduction in import taxes will make it worse . :-(
Well that is a bit short sighted to be honest. Yeah not much to crowe about so far in the current awards but there has been no shortage of local wins....particulary for ford, in the recent past. Wheels COTY (BA, Territory), FG won a whole host of awards as noted in recent advertisements and Holden got COTY awards aplenty too.

To be honest i'm taking increasingly less notice of COTY awards. Comparison reviews are fine, and launch reviews etc that tell you about the car and how it performs. The problem with COTY set ups is that each outlet is trying to prove a point/s and this sways the issue. For example, the 'best car awards' from the motoring groups is overly weighted to ownership costs etc. (resale/fuel/up front cost) and doesn't give enough credit to way the thing atcually drives. At least they make it clear though where their weighting is, other COTY are very fuzzy on why a car gets points for having more cupholders but another loses points for not having a comfortable seating arangement etc. Its all too subjective and more and more the focus is on frankly non-car nut stuff. Is there an award any more for the best value car that is also the best to atcualy drive??

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw a little fiesta at the lights today, i must admit i`m not a small car person, but if i was going to get a small one, i like the look of the little Ford.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a tough looking little thing :P, My wifes had the new one for 10 months now, nearly 40k on it. Apart from a few small form over function issues they are great. The early ones have a problem with paint being chiped off under the rear door but anything newer than August comes with clear protectors glued onto that section and in theory they will re paint the early cars if you ask all though we haven't asked yet, pobably should before rust sets in but they say they are unable to install the protectors outside the German factory so you wonder what exactly is the point since it will just happen again.

It used to be rubbish on fuel for the size of it (6.5l/100) but recently had a software upgrade and now gets under 5L/100 on a smooth bit of highway (4.4l/100) is my best so far which is a bit more like how a small car should be these days. All in all it's a much better car than I expected to be possible in this price range. I don't think I would be able to choose a base model Falcon over it even at the same price, which is a bit disturbing for Ford AU
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Good stuff!, its awsome to see a Ford take the small car award and not the usual large car title, this shows they can build a small hatchback just aswell as its competitors :
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Default And the Fiesta scoops another knockout blow to its name

Nz Autocar magazine car of the year is:the competition was,

Ford Fiesta:::::::::WINNER overall :
Alfa Romeo MiTO
Suzuki Alto
VW Polo
Mazda3
Kia Soul
VW Golf Mk VI
Kia Cerato
Holden Cruze
Nissan Qashqai
Toyota Prius III
Subaru Legacy
Commodore VE MY10
Nissan Maxima
VW Scirocco
VW GTI
Nissan 370Z
Nissan GT-R
Jaguar XFR
BMW Z4
Audi S4
Mazda3 MPS
Audi TT RS
HSV E series 2
Porsche Cayman S
BMW 7 Series
Skoda Superb
Jaguar XF TDV6
Mercedes Benz E Class
Audi Q5
Volvo XC60
Lexus RX350/450h
Nissan Murano
Ford Ranger
Subaru Forester Diesel
Kia Sorento
HSVKILLA is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Good stuff!, its awsome to see a Ford take the small car award and not the usual large car title, this shows they can build a small hatchback just aswell as its competitors :
Better, atcually...... :

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
XR8putts

NZ Autocar Magazine: Ford Fiesta named Car of the Year (2009)

:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Ford-Fiesta-n...3/Default.aspx
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post