Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default AU V8 Exhast query

Hi Gals and Guys of AU land.

I have recently purchased an AU II LTD V8. I believe that I have scored very well to pick up a 2002 LTD for $16K with only 111500 KMs on it. Not owning an AU in the past, I am now trying to decipher between salesman and reality. Salesman talks tell me that my 2002 AUII V8 is 192Kw, yet the redbook website rates the AUII LTD at 185Kw. I have also been told that the Ford dealer principle that ordered the car for his father knew some of the guys on the Broadmeadows production line, result being additional paint on the car and supposed engine upspec.

Given that I have been quoted 7Kw higher than the original Ford specs, I was thinking that it may have been the extractors fitted? Also not knowing a lot about factory options/standards for this car, I was wondering if the extractors (that would explain 7KW) are standard on the AU V8s - Falcon, Fairmont, Fairlane or LTD?

Also, I was wondering, given that my V8 does not sound like an 8 (unless it is high in the rev range), has anyone done some simple (inexpensive) mods to the V8 exhaust system to give it a simple (not loud) V8 rumble? Again not knowing what is standard across the range of AUs, mine is a duel system all the way just to behind the rear axle where both sides join to a single muffler. The obvious is to replace the rear muffler behind the rear bumper, but I would like to keep the factory look of the twin pipes coming from that single muffler.

Any feed back is greatly appreciated by an AU newbie.
Cheers

auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

My 175kw Fairmont never had Extractors standard, they have some very ordinary looking headers which looked to have been crimped at the head end. A cat back system will give you a better note- or remove the rear muffler and continue the twin pipes all the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Ride
Stay Classy ™

If it has extractors fitted, the steering shaft will be between the 3rd and 4th cylinder on the D/S bank, if they're stock (which is most likely) they will curve over the top of the shaft and down to the cat.

Extractors will definitely help give it a bit more rumble, when I did my motor swap I kept my single 2.5" pipe that joins into the merge after the cat because I'm broke but fitted the Tickford extractors and it made a small difference. To get the most out of it I'd be replacing it with a set of Pacemakers and a twin 2.5" system.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
If it has extractors fitted, the steering shaft will be between the 3rd and 4th cylinder on the D/S bank, if they're stock (which is most likely) they will curve over the top of the shaft and down to the cat.

Extractors will definitely help give it a bit more rumble, when I did my motor swap I kept my single 2.5" pipe that joins into the merge after the cat because I'm broke but fitted the Tickford extractors and it made a small difference. To get the most out of it I'd be replacing it with a set of Pacemakers and a twin 2.5" system.
For a stroked or blown windsor i would do twin 2.5", otherwise general consensus I have found is it's too large for a standard 302.

Go for a twin 2.25" if you can afford it or if not a single 2.5" with twin tips if you like that look. Will be the best street setup for low-mid torque.

BTW OP from what I recall there were only <20 2002 build AU LTD's so it's quite a rare ride you have there.

P.s. All LTD's were 175kw from factory. Same setup as a Series 1 XR8 but with a putrid restrictive exhaust. Headers/Cats/Twin Sys will free up at least 15kw.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Thanks

Thanks guys. Information all taken on board. I will see if I can find some reputable exhaust shops and see what they suggest - that way I can make a well based decision. Thanks for you input so far.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

From reading what others have said about V8 exhausts in the past, I thought a twin 2.25" was better for torque than a twin 2.5"......?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
DW260

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Thanks guys. Information all taken on board. I will see if I can find some reputable exhaust shops and see what they suggest - that way I can make a well based decision. Thanks for you input so far.
Look no further than Glen at Roadway Muffler's in Belconnen.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Default Local knowledge

Thanks DW260. When I am ready to spend some coin (save it up) I will go over to Belco and see Gary. Cheers mate. Have you had some work done by these guys? If so, what? Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
From reading what others have said about V8 exhausts in the past, I thought a twin 2.25" was better for torque than a twin 2.5"......?
Correct.

OP, regarding tone & volume, don't really worry about size of pipes so much. Most of it is in the choice of mufflers. My lukeys have a nice growl but I haven't compared it to many others. Have a look at this link to give you a better idea.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=41575

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Default Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1800
For a stroked or blown windsor i would do twin 2.5", otherwise general consensus I have found is it's too large for a standard 302.

Go for a twin 2.25" if you can afford it or if not a single 2.5" with twin tips if you like that look. Will be the best street setup for low-mid torque.

BTW OP from what I recall there were only <20 2002 build AU LTD's so it's quite a rare ride you have there.

P.s. All LTD's were 175kw from factory. Same setup as a Series 1 XR8 but with a putrid restrictive exhaust. Headers/Cats/Twin Sys will free up at least 15kw.
Being a newbie to my car and AUs in general, can you please confirm by what you mean by a twin system? Mine is twin all the way to behind the diff and then goes into one. I have not seen (excuse my ignorance) an AU with 2 pipes out the back - one each side. All pipes I have seen seem to come from the drivers side rear.

I am currently thinking or removing the rear muffler (where both sides come into 1) and replacing it with a tail pipe, maybe 2.5 inch in diametre. I like the two 1.75 in crome tips out the back (stock), but I am thinking a nice 2.5 inch single out the back could be different (on this car at least). I have used an old tailshaft (nice thick sidewalls) to engineer an exaust tip in the past (yes, bush mechanic) and that provided as good as a sound that you could get from an old crossflow efi250. I do not want to be so crude on my new car, but I am thinking it might be worth a try - I can always reinstate the original system!

Thanks guys
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Being a newbie to my car and AUs in general, can you please confirm by what you mean by a twin system? Mine is twin all the way to behind the diff and then goes into one. I have not seen (excuse my ignorance) an AU with 2 pipes out the back - one each side. All pipes I have seen seem to come from the drivers side rear.

I am currently thinking or removing the rear muffler (where both sides come into 1) and replacing it with a tail pipe, maybe 2.5 inch in diametre. I like the two 1.75 in crome tips out the back (stock), but I am thinking a nice 2.5 inch single out the back could be different (on this car at least). I have used an old tailshaft (nice thick sidewalls) to engineer an exaust tip in the past (yes, bush mechanic) and that provided as good as a sound that you could get from an old crossflow efi250. I do not want to be so crude on my new car, but I am thinking it might be worth a try - I can always reinstate the original system!

Thanks guys
Stu

Twin system means two seperate pipes from each side of the block all the way to the rear of the bumper(some exceptions but for the most part this is the case)

Your is a single system with two tips which is what I have as it merges into the single pipe from after the diff. How many mufflers have you got? I have been told if you remove the rear muffler after the diff that it will create drone in the cabin and that your better of removing the muffler before the diff.

However we need to establish if you have a aftermarket system & free-flow mufflers first - the fact that you have a twin tip implies something has been done in the past as standard was a single 2.25" i believe.

I'm a relative newb aswell so the other guys here are abit more cluey than myself. I just know I went through this whole dillemma 3 months ago so picked up on a few things.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Default Gratious

Thanks sd1800,

Valuable info - last thing I want is drone - that could drive you crazy. All taken on board.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Twin 2.5".

Anything less and you are kidding yourself.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

from my basic learnig so far. you need back pressure in your exhaust - you can have too freeflowing exhausts

2002 XR8 pursuit 250