Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Default AU Overheated on cold water.

Hi, just thought I'd post a quick question. I haven't had any problems with my 98 Model AU as of recently. This morning when I jumped into the car and started it, the temp bar went straight to Overheated and the little light for it came on.

I filled it up as it was about half way, and then started the car again, but unfortunately, the light didn't go away and the bar didn't go down. I was wondering if this is just a sensor malfuntion or something as I'm unsure of what else it could be.

Also, since this happened this morning, I can't put my car into "Economy" mode. I'm not sure if this is related, but it is also concerning as these two issues came up at the same time.

Could the over heating this be related to the termostat? Should I pull it off and cut the spring blocker thingy?

Should I avoid driving my car whilst it is like this?

Thanks for any help.

Teknoslasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you just start it from cold and goes straight to overheating then id say your temp sensor is dead
Old 16-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke
If you just start it from cold and goes straight to overheating then id say your temp sensor is dead
Where is the sensor located? Should I avoid driving my car for the moment?
Old 16-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Having a closer look into what the problem could be, I just inspected my thermo fans and unfortunately, they're not running. Could this be the source of the problem? Would it automatically register as overheated if they're not running even if the car has only been on for about 30 seconds?
Old 16-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the car been running for 10-15min++ by the time you inspected the thermo fans? They will only turn on when the engine reaches a certain temp.

I agree it must just be the sensor or a bad earth to the dash e.g. something electrical.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1800
Had the car been running for 10-15min++ by the time you inspected the thermo fans? They will only turn on when the engine reaches a certain temp.

I agree it must just be the sensor or a bad earth to the dash e.g. something electrical.
I'm hoping it is just the sensor. The car had been on for about 10 minutes rougly as I took it for a drive up the road and back to see how she went. I've also checked all fuses as well as I thought that a relay might have been dead, I'm not sure how to tell if a relay is gone though, I do know the fuses are all fine.

I might try and replace the thermo fans just to be on the safe side. I'd like to get second hand ones from the wreckers, but I'll have to go and get them from supercheap and work out how to put them on if they're not AU Ford specific.

Still has me stumped though.
Old 16-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoslasher
I might try and replace the thermo fans just to be on the safe side. I'd like to get second hand ones from the wreckers, but I'll have to go and get them from supercheap and work out how to put them on if they're not AU Ford specific.
Still has me stumped though.
Relays are under the bonnet. Pull the ones associated with the cooling system and inspect, just as you would a fuse. You should be able to see easily if one's cactus. The ones you are after are R6, R7, & R13.

Make sure you do this before going to the trouble of replacing thermos. Little, easy and least expensive things first!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Relays are under the bonnet. Pull the ones associated with the cooling system and inspect, just as you would a fuse. You should be able to see easily if one's cactus. The ones you are after are R6, R7, & R13.

Make sure you do this before going to the trouble of replacing thermos. Little, easy and least expensive things first!

GK
I wasn't too sure how to tell if the relays are fine or not, they all look very much the same as the other relays visually.

I have attached some pictures just to make sure though.

Old 16-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Sorry to have them be so big, I thought it would be best that way as you can see more detail on them like this.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Before going to all the trouble of relays, sensors etc, just check the sender wire is actually connected to the sender unit. It is quite possible it's fallen off and touching the block.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Before going to all the trouble of relays, sensors etc, just check the sender wire is actually connected to the sender unit. It is quite possible it's fallen off and touching the block.
Thanks, where would I find the sender unit?
Old 16-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

I just tried to find the sender unit, I found something on the thermostat housing thought that I thought I should also ask about.

Should this little bit look like this, or should there be something on it?
Old 16-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you idled for 10 minutes, and your thermos arent working, your problem is the thermos, just replace them. Or make sure they are plugged in. Mine werent plugged in when I bought it and the temp shot straight up within 5 minutes.
Old 16-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
illusivedreams

Electrical,

But im not sureifearthing you would get a hih readin instantly.
Aso des the AUavecylnder eactivatio hen overheaing? Im sure it does.

So does the engine deactvate cylinders..

Agin Im sure its eithereectrical connecion of fans
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Unfortunately, I can't remember where the sender unit is located. Hopefully another member on here will be kind enough to point it out for you.

IMA. I'm no electrical guru, but from past experiences, it's quite often the little things, like a wire off a unit, that causes problems like this.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusivedreams
Electrical,

But im not sureifearthing you would get a hih readin instantly.
Aso des the AUavecylnder eactivatio hen overheaing? Im sure it does.

So does the engine deactvate cylinders..

Agin Im sure its eithereectrical connecion of fans
yes it does have cylander deactivation on overheating.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
aufairmontghia
XR6

Temperature sender is located at the back of the head on the drivers side.
It's quite visible standing from side of engine bay...
aufairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufairmontghia
Temperature sender is located at the back of the head on the drivers side.
It's quite visible standing from side of engine bay...
Thanks for letter me know where it is located.

Sadly, the sender is still plugged in firmly.

Having excluded the relays and sender now, would this problem solely be due to the thermo fans not running?
Old 17-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
aufairmontghia
XR6

R u blowing any fuses??? I'm talking about the ones that sit below were the relays are... I think it's Fan 1 etc...
Old 17-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be grabbing a bit of wire and unplugging the thermo`s and just wireing them up straight to the battery for a test , if they don`t run i`d be looking at the fans before anything else.
Old 17-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
aufairmontghia
XR6

As per previous post.... Check the fuses again!!!!

Don't buy thermo fans unless you have to!!!!

Check the thermo fans???

Run the thermos straight to the battery with aligator clips. one side of the plug should be for the passenger side fan, the other for the drivers side.

If they work then...

Check with a multimeter or aligator clips with a globe at the plug before the thermos. That way you can check for current when the low speed thermos r suppose to kicks in... just above operating temperature, between n/o on temperature gauge.
When the a/c is turned on, the thermos should come on straight away.
Old 17-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufairmontghia
As per previous post.... Check the fuses again!!!!

Don't buy thermo fans unless you have to!!!!

Check the thermo fans???

Run the thermos straight to the battery with aligator clips. one side of the plug should be for the passenger side fan, the other for the drivers side.

If they work then...

Check with a multimeter or aligator clips with a globe at the plug before the thermos. That way you can check for current when the low speed thermos r suppose to kicks in... just above operating temperature, between n/o on temperature gauge.
When the a/c is turned on, the thermos should come on straight away.
Good and bad news. The good news; the car is running fine now. The bad news, I have no idea what the problem was/is as I didn't (even though I should've) start the car every time I did something different.

I moved the sensor around a little bit, it didn't quite "move", but I did try and push the wires in. Then I unplugged the thermo fan and grabbed some wire from an old sub and tested the fans and they both worked. Then I read your post about the fuses and decided I'd give them another go, so I replaced the Fan 1 fuse with that of the A/C fuse of the same size and after all this I started the car.

I started the car after all of this and turned the air con on straight away and the thermos kicked in straight away as well.

I'm still unable to say what the problem was and I am hoping that it won't come back. To say the least, it has left me baffled.

To be honest, I'm considering selling the old girl now an downgrading to an EF or EL Ford again so my partner will have a little money to get herself something as well. I'm not sure if its worth the sacrifice though.

Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it very much.
Old 17-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wasn't there someone on here last year who had a similar sort of issue? He found it was corrosion in the fuse/relay box under the bonnet. He got another from the wreckers or something IIRC and fixed it up nicely.

Maybe pull all the relays and fuses from the box under the bonnet and check for the greenie coloured corosion.

It may have also been fixed by some spray or another. Not sure now exactly. Sorry.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was myself rather than go backwards to an older car, and worry about it happening again because you can`t find the fault i would perhaps think about wiring the thermo`s to another thermostat independant of the ecu , mr sparky could still wire them so they come on when the ac goes on, or have an extra switch on the dash so you can turn them on at your leisure.
Old 17-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
jeno 09
jeno

hey bud,
i had the exact same prob with my eb, i found the prob hiding under the overflow bottle, its a brown coloured relay, my money is on that relay bro
Old 17-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #26
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if it was myself rather than go backwards to an older car, and worry about it happening again because you can`t find the fault i would perhaps think about wiring the thermo`s to another thermostat independant of the ecu , mr sparky could still wire them so they come on when the ac goes on, or have an extra switch on the dash so you can turn them on at your leisure.
I thought about doing it so I can manually flick a switch on from my dash to activate the thermos, but my father did that and left the car running. I'm sure I could get them wired so it only comes on when the ignition is on, but unfortunately I'm relatively new to wiring.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #27
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
I thought about doing it so I can manually flick a switch on from my dash to activate the thermos, but my father did that and left the car running. I'm sure I could get them wired so it only comes on when the ignition is on, but unfortunately I'm relatively new to wiring.
Old 18-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #28
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoslasher
I just tried to find the sender unit, I found something on the thermostat housing thought that I thought I should also ask about.

Should this little bit look like this, or should there be something on it?
Sorry for the double post earlier; can't work out how to delete it.

I was just wondering, what the hell is the highlighted item in this picture meant to connect to? Is there anything at all or is it just there for decoration.
Old 18-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #29
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

It's a Temperature Vacuum Switch. I'm not sure that it's supposed to be there. Recommend that you buy a workshop manual and check.

Regarding your original problems, they very likely all stemmed from a bad temperature sensor connection. The coolant temp signal goes to the ECU which in turn controls the fans and the transmission. I think that it fails 'high' when it's an open circuit.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #30
aufairmontghia
XR6

I had major problems with my GHIA. My temperature on the gauge went from between n/o on the gauge to almost L overnight!!!!!! And it was cooking!!!!

My previous posts are a step by step process I took.....

It gave me the SSSHHHIII..........s

I too had no low speed thermo's but working with ac on....

Passenger side thermo wouldn't work at all....

Fuses blowing.... went through about 12 fuses in the process!!!

Car would get real hot & run really badly.... Transmission would go in LIMP HOME mode.... no low speed thermo while stationary.....

This happened intermittely for about 9 months i estimate.

About 4 weeks ago I replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses, coolant, header tank, radiator last year, header tank cap....

Everything possible bar the temp. sender which was a bastard to get to.
This still didn't help anything... I replaced the relays & fuses which were related to the thermo's....

I had just about given up till I tested the thermo's & tried a new one to isolate any problems but it still did the same thing & kept blowing fuses...

I had a gut full & felt like pushing the ghia over a cliff!!!!!!

I pulled the new thermo's out as my thermo's proved fine when tested to the battery.

I pulled the battery out & started investigating around the fuse & relay box area..... The fuse box seemed fine!!!!

I kept looking around & discovered two earth wires coming off the main loom of the fuse box & earthed to the body was loose & floating in mid air underneath the battery tray...

The bolt securing the wires in front of the battery tray had completally corroded away...

I drilled out the bolt & fitted a new one with a nut as the hole was bigger now. Secured the bolt & wires........

Car is back to normal, auto changes great, thermo running great with no overheating whatsoever or isssues......

The car is running an absolute dream......

All for a 20 cent 10mm bolt, figure that one out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!