Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Spark plugs I6

I can get genuine plugs or NGK for nearly the same price which are better? Ngk non iridium that is

256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
I can get genuine plugs or NGK for nearly the same price which are better? Ngk non iridium that is
Either is fine, my choice would be NGK, however I declare that it's probably because I've had them as my plug of choice in pretty much every vehicle I've owned for years.

Not really sure if they're better. At $4 or less a pop, I replace mine every 12 months anyway.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Seriously, the difference in spark plugs for our cars is pretty insignificant.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok cuz im getting genuine ones for $3.50 each, i suppose i could have gotten iridium plugs but no point, ill do that when i change the leads and get the better leads at the same time
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 25-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

NGK BPR5EY-11's for petrol and BPR6EY's for gas and ya can't go wrong.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gap your plugs when you by them, I have had them nearly be closed straight out of the box.
Old 26-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
munchkin323
AU XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Seriously, the difference in spark plugs for our cars is pretty insignificant.
Jim Mock Motorsports, who i am sure most of you are familar with claim on their website that the plugs they use as part of their upgrade kits add an additional 4kws. These are imported from the states and are quite expensive at $45 for six. I am asuming this would need to be paired with thicker leads too...

After my car was converted to lpg i ran the standard unleaded plugs (NGK) for about 3 months, when they were changed over to lgp specific ones (NGK) I noticied a considerable power loss, engine is a lot less responsive...

I hope to give the JMM plugs a go in the near future as these are claimed to be suited to lgp as well. Has anyone had any experience with these plugs? outcome?
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The JMM plugs are an off the shelf plug with a 300% mark up. There is details on Fordmods
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin323
Jim Mock Motorsports, who i am sure most of you are familar with claim on their website that the plugs they use as part of their upgrade kits add an additional 4kws. These are imported from the states and are quite expensive at $45 for six. I am asuming this would need to be paired with thicker leads too...

After my car was converted to lpg i ran the standard unleaded plugs (NGK) for about 3 months, when they were changed over to lgp specific ones (NGK) I noticied a considerable power loss, engine is a lot less responsive...

I hope to give the JMM plugs a go in the near future as these are claimed to be suited to lgp as well. Has anyone had any experience with these plugs? outcome?
I've not had experience with JMM, but IIRC their plugs are Autolights or a brand like that. Not sure about the need for thicker leads or such.

I've had really great results with NGK LPG specific plugs on gas, but they run average on petrol, which I do for 30-40kms each tank of gas. It's a small price to pay though.

I've also had good results on both fuels with the standard heat range petrol plug, just regapped to 0.8-0.9. That's what I may do next time, but I'll see.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 27-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
The JMM plugs are an off the shelf plug with a 300% mark up. There is details on Fordmods

When I was in the US I brought 3 sets of Autolite 985 S/Plugs the ones JMM sells from Advance auto spares for $2.10 US per plug for my VCT powered AU. I used 1 set then sold the car and sold the other 2 sets on E Bay.

What I found was they are a smaller plug with a longer tip which would be a hotter running plug and might burn the fuel of better.

If you measure the tips of the 985's against the NGK plug for the Centre Point injection (EA-EB) part No BRE527Y-11 it has the same tip length but a bigger plug.

I did not notice any difference in performance from standed NGK plugs part no ZGR6B-11 to the Autolite 985 in everyday driving conditions.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok so i got 6 NGK plugs for $15... pretty good i reckon
got a fuel filter for $17 and oil filter for about $6 so ended up being pretty cheap lol
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
munchkin323
AU XR6

I did not notice any difference in performance from standed NGK plugs part no ZGR6B-11 to the Autolite 985 in everyday driving conditions.[/QUOTE]
So the verdict is JMM plugs a useless addition performance wise?

As I mentioned above, I noticed a significant drop in performance when changing from regular unleaded plugs to lpg specific ones on my xr6 hp (both sets NGK). Can anyone shed some light on why this may have occured and would it be ok to go back to the unleaded plugs while running lpg?
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin323
I did not notice any difference in performance from standed NGK plugs part no ZGR6B-11 to the Autolite 985 in everyday driving conditions.
So the verdict is JMM plugs a useless addition performance wise?

As I mentioned above, I noticed a significant drop in performance when changing from regular unleaded plugs to lpg specific ones on my xr6 hp (both sets NGK). Can anyone shed some light on why this may have occured and would it be ok to go back to the unleaded plugs while running lpg?
Any leads that give a bigger spark and less resistance is always better. If your performance dropped off then it sounds like you either have thinner leads, and therefore more than likely, higher resistance or you've somehow managed to create more resistance when fitting the new leads. Check to make sure they are not shorting out somewhere; this is best done at night in the dark so you can more easily spot any stray arcing.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

The gap for petrol is larger yeah say 1.1. With LPG it's 0.8-0.9. Using standard plugs is okay (so my gas mechanic tells me) with the regapping to 0.8-0.9.

To get a definitive answer on this though, I suggest you PM "blownba" as he's a well-respected and knowledgeable guy on the LPG section of this forum.

I would pretty much consider him to be the final authority on the matter, as he's an installer of LPG systems with an enviable reputation for 1. doing great work, and 2. being right on the money with his advice.

When you get your answer, please post it up.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG