Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2006 Focus Brakes

My 2006 Focus is getting up to 75000kms. The mechanic said at the 60k service that the brakes would need doing at the next service. Nothing has been done to the brakes since new.

Has anyone an idea what cost this come in at?
I wont be using a Ford dealer but probably Leaders Auto who are similar to an Ultratune or a K mart.
Leaders are based here on the Gold Coast and have done 2 services and have been cheaper than Ford and also are ''car people'' and service orientated.

Anyway the question is -brakes -cost to do up at 75000km??

kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

He Kevino,

All 4 pads + rotors?

Last year Ford quoted me ~$500 to replace just the front pads + rotors. So if you can get a good quality product, for cheaper (which shouldn't be hard), you've already won.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are some compeditive quotes around for the disc rotors these days ranging from $100 per rotor to $250 retail for the DBA ones. You will be luck to escape without having to replace the original disc rotors because they were a soft metal and rarely survive beyond the first set of disc pads.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
casabonka
You can call me Chris

When I get off my **** and get a quote I can let you know.
My Fronts are due very soon :( :(
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
DragonMesh

after 75k i would too agree your going to need all new pads and rotors. please dont get stock ford ones they are expensive and dont last long. i got dba slots and ebc greenstuff for around $900 then fitted myself. Im sure if you got just standard dba rotors and other pads it would be cheaper and at least they would be better than the ford crap
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Brakes 2006 Focus

Thanks for your help guys. If the Ford front brake parts are crap but lasted 75000 kms how long will the alternative brands last? Looking for cost and benefit reasons to spend the extra.

And what about the rear brakes... what cost on these.

thanks Guys.
Old 15-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
DragonMesh

well my fords only lasted 50,000km however what you will probably find is its not extra to get the other brands but you will at least get some improvement in life and braking efficiency.

As DZford posted before he was quoted $500 for just the front pads and rotors. So in my situation i paid $900 for front and back and i will get longer life out of these + better braking.

To me it seemed win win to move away from ford stock parts

*Edit* Im expecting double the life of the dba rotors compared to the fords
Old 18-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I have got dba slotteds front and back.
got 96k out of the fronts with ford pads
now on bendix and have done 70 odd k with 80-90% still left on the pad. slight lip on the rotor. no machining yet
It is a manual so I use the gears and dont use the brakes unless I really have to, like when I am in town etc.
Who needs to slow for corners. lol

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So your focus is up to 166000kms.
Wow. Have you had a good run-is it holding together well?

How much did the Bendix units cost?
Old 20-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
alky89

why is it costing so much for everyone? i recently got some high performance "remsa" brand pads for the front. they cost me $110. haven't heard of the brand but my parts guy assured me they were good. i'm sure you could get a more mainstream brand for a similar price or a bit more. i also just got some rda heavy duty pads for the rear. they were $30. so you should definately be able to get front and rear pads for $200. rotors i think you can get for say $100 each front and $50 each rear. so thats $500 all up for everything. is the rest of that extra cost labour?

if you have some mechanical know how, its not too bad doing it yourself. i just finished the rear brakes and it took 3 days due to much mucking around trying to find the right tool for the job. the front pads took me a few hours also due to finding correct tools and just figuring out how it all works. if i were to do it again i think i could do everything in 2 hours.

Last edited by alky89; 20-04-2010 at 12:47 AM.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #11
DragonMesh

the difference in price is because most of us didnt get the standard parts. I got DBA slotted rotors which were 132ea and my EBC Greenstuff pads were $340 for front and back. which results in great great braking and long life. It comes down to what each person is happy with. If i wanted to i could have replaced it all for under $400 but i wouldnt have been happy with the setup. Also we are talking about a different model of focus here the CL i believe.
Old 20-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct my inquiries relate to the 2006 CL manual we own.
Old 24-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Kevino I cant remember how much the pads cost, I also get them trade price.

Car has been good, few starting issues every now and then(full throttle start which is antiflood mode makes it start). electrical issue with the back end. but all in all still good. gets driven like its stolen!!
oh and replaced clutch, my fault!!
stays on 7.1-7.5L/100

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that 20Focus05.

So she has done 166000?

Why I ask is our (wife,s)petrol focus is up to 75000 and I worry about future costs if we keep it. The brakes are now doubt going to set us back $1000.

What are the next big ticket costs you faced after 75000 km, shocks?, clutch, the timing chain is good for over 200000, what else did you need to spend money on?

I toss up whether its best to trade it in the next year or so on a Fiesta LX.

At that stage I will have made a fair effort in paying off the TDCI I drive.

Appreciate your comments.
Old 25-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
partzkid

kevino $1000 sounds right on the money if you have someone do pads x2 rotors x4 using a good product. i usually retail the job for about 950. better than the usual 1500 fraud quotes. make sure you get a good pad fitted either qfm, ebc, trw, mintex or something of the like.
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post