Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Changing Radiator - AU2 I6

The plastic side moulding tanks on the side of my radiator have been on their way out for a while now, but lately the car has been losing coolant far too much, been going through a couple of the large tectaloy bottles a week.

I'm not the best financially at the moment, but wondering if its hard to change a radiator yourself? I might be able to get one cheapish through a radiator place and then save cash on labour by having dad & myself install it.

Just wondering,
a) how difficult it is to remove & replace a radiator,
b) what I would actually need to do it toolwise
c) does it require a hoist to lift the car to do it, or could I do it on stands/ramps
d) any other useful information in regards to this you could offer!

Cheers guys.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Easy as.

From memory a socket set and a couple of screwdrivers are all you'll need. Remove the Thermo fans, disconnect all hoses, unbolt the radiator and it should come out unless there is anything attached from the front. Simple job.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cheers RG!

Looks like dad just got back from the library with a couple of pages photocopied from one of those workshop manuals, mentions taking the front grille off first?

Is taking the grille off a must? If so, I could be a bit stuffed, as I have a (fake) T3 Front Bar, where the grille is integrated with the rest of the front bar.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Cheers RG!

Looks like dad just got back from the library with a couple of pages photocopied from one of those workshop manuals, mentions taking the front grille off first?

Is taking the grille off a must? If so, I could be a bit stuffed, as I have a (fake) T3 Front Bar, where the grille is integrated with the rest of the front bar.
So it does, but reading the rest of the procedure it doesn't give a reason why as there is nothing that the grille is blocking.

The again it also tells you to remove all lines and hoses BEFORE removing the Thermo fans even though that job is a lot easier to do AFTER removing the fans. Stupid Ford manual.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
smally289
growing up is optional

Grille comes out so you can get to the four 10mm bolts that hold the A/C condensor to the radiator (one in each corner). The condensor will just hang there once unbolted.

Done this a thousand times, yell out if you need more info.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Removing the grille helps access the bolts holding the air con condensor to the radiator... vital for removing the radiator.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for the info re the grille guys.

I'm thinking the mesh I have in the T3 bar is fairly "open", may be able to get a socket through the mesh to undo the condenser bolts. Or somehow work around it. I don't really like the idea of taking off the entire front bar to do it that's all, damn the T3 one piece grille/front bar!

Will look the whole thing over with dad when I get a chance, talk it over with him, and we'll make the decision as to whether we do it ourselves or just fork out to get it installed, would really like to take the cheap option though!
Quote:
Old 07-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well I just want to say that thanks to the help you guys gave in this thread, coupled with the relevant pages from a workshop manual, dad & I managed to remove the radiator and place it with a brand spanking new copper one (old one was aluminium), so let's see how it all goes. Hopefully now when I want to go for a quick spin up the shops I'll be able to just jump in and go without having to check coolant levels beforehand!

Well, over the next few days I'll be keeping a close eye on levels but once it all settles down, fingers crossed everything will be smooth.

And we managed to get those four bolts out without removing the bar, was a real pain getting to them by laying down and sticking a hand up there from the ground, but it was still probably quicker and easier than trying to remove & replace the whole front bar!

Thanks once again guys. Much appreciated.
Quote: