Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wheels Magazine at it again

Had a quick search, but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere...

Did anyone see the cover of the latest wheels issue. Apparently the latest wheels magazine had a good 75-page spread about the history of the Falcon.

But you wouldn't know it judging by the "so called spy" shot of the next Commondore splashed all over the cover.

I would have liked to have had a good look inside the mag or even bought it, but alas, I couldn't even bring myself to pick it up off the shelf.

Why don't Wheels just write screw-u-ford-australia on their covers, it would be more subtle.

I made a conscious decision never to by Wheels after the farce which was the WCOTY after the FG was released. I think this little stunt justifies my decision.

OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motor Magazine was just as bad from memory. It was always a Clubsport. If not, it was a Clubsport, Falcon GT and a WRX STI.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

this was all mentioned when the mag appeared in most subscribers letterboxes about a month ago.

they are in the business of selling magazines, and like it or not, they felt that a spy shot of the next commo would sell better than a tribute to 50yrs of falcon. they can't please everybody!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many people are far too sensitive about what goes on the front cover of Wheels and Motor.

If there's an article / articles you like INSIDE the magazine, who cares ???
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the thing, the cover turns me off because every issue looks the same on the front.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

They have to appeal to their demographic which is the semi-illliterate bogan. Most smarter people realise there's a thing called the internet, and therefore don't have to waste their hard earned on some ridiculous and archaic print material. The bogan on the other hand sees what he likes on the cover and can't spend his money quick enough.
If you take a poll of 100 bogans on which car appeals more Holden or Ford, you'd be hard pressed to find one response for the ford. Therefore they put Holdens on the front all the time.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prejudice nonsense.
Have a look in side it's about falcons.
Judging a book by it's cover. ha ha. how stupid.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
T3man
Banned

ltd is exactly right. The end.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
ltd is exactly right. The end.
Have to agree with you

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But it's only a magazine. not a catechism.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

They need to print the wheels mag on 4 ply soft paper so it will be useful for something.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44

Did anyone see the cover of the latest wheels issue. Apparently the latest wheels magazine had a good 75-page spread about the history of the Falcon.

But you wouldn't know it judging by the "so called spy" shot of the next Commondore splashed all over the cover.

I would have liked to have had a good look inside the mag or even bought it, but alas, I couldn't even bring myself to pick it up off the shelf.

Why don't Wheels just write screw-u-ford-australia on their covers, it would be more subtle.

I made a conscious decision never to by Wheels after the farce which was the WCOTY after the FG was released. I think this little stunt justifies my decision.
Oh my god - you mean to say that they didnt devote the entire cover to one particular brand of car, and that it WASN'T A FORD?

You mean to tell me that they actually report on other car brands and makers other than Ford?

What is the world coming to.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
That's the thing, the cover turns me off because every issue looks the same on the front.
What cos they all say WHEELS in big letters?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
They have to appeal to their demographic which is the semi-illliterate bogan. Most smarter people realise there's a thing called the internet, and therefore don't have to waste their hard earned on some ridiculous and archaic print material. The bogan on the other hand sees what he likes on the cover and can't spend his money quick enough.
If you take a poll of 100 bogans on which car appeals more Holden or Ford, you'd be hard pressed to find one response for the ford. Therefore they put Holdens on the front all the time.
Holden on the cover is based on marketing decisions, every time in the past when products
other than Holden appears on the front cover, over the counter sales drop significantly.
By having a Holden on the cover, more Holden fans buy the issue with 75 pages of Falcon history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Prejudice nonsense.
Have a look in side it's about falcons.
Judging a book by it's cover. ha ha. how stupid.
I found the article to be thoroughly enjoyable and full of interesting facts.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Chopped
as in chopped

It's pretty obvious on here that Wheels and Motor are owned buy Holden and wealthy Bogans (who like covers).

I'm absolutely sure they will not devote a cover to the Coyote.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Do people still read this junk?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44

Oh pleease another person who needs to put up a thread because they don't like the look of the wheels or motor front cover. have a cry.

Open the magazine and have a look at the dedication to the Falcon they put in there. What else do you want from them? it isn't a Ford magazine or a Holden magazine, it is a CAR magazine, it covers ALL makes. If you want just a Ford magazine go and buy one, there are a heap of them out there.

It was a very good issue and the coverage of the Falcon was very interesting.
Pity some here are a little too precious and cannot move past the cover of a magazine...what was that saying, don't judge a.....
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
It's pretty obvious on here that Wheels and Motor are owned buy Holden and wealthy Bogans (who like covers).

Really.....

http://www.acp.com.au/wheels.htm

Sometimes some of these threads are just a little bit embarrassing.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
They need to print the wheels mag on 4 ply soft paper so it will be useful for something.
hahahahhaha 10 points
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Chopped
as in chopped

My sarcasm was too subtle !

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #21
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is simple really don't like the wheels or motor publications? don't buy them simple really, if you are in the majority then they will change their covers writers or whatever the case may be. Spend your money on something that you do like whatever that may be

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it was ordinary not to have a front cover based on it, but th write-up is still a bloody good one.

Note though, that in the time-line, they put the EB as a BA Falcon, what is going on there !!!????
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
What cos they all say WHEELS in big letters?
Now that you mention it, I think that's what it was!
Like others have said, who even buys magazines anymore? You see something on the internet about a month or two before it is published in a magazine.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #24
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy Wheels every month without fail, and have nearly every copy from the mid 70's till today. I've found absolutely no bias towards Holden, against Ford, or towards or against any one make inside the magazine. What goes on the cover is a commercial decision designed to sell more copies to whoever wants one - bogan or not. The cover isn't an indication of the quality of journalism inside the magazine.

Wheels magazine caters to people who are interested in cars of all makes, and the auto industry. Critising it just because of whats on the cover or because Falcon didn't win COTY (when the article probably wasn't even read to find out why) is just pathetic. If one eyed Ford biased fanaticism is all you want, buy one of the many magazines available, or just read the Ford Forums! Wheels writers like Peter Robinson, John Carey and Micheal Stahl are world class journalists who have been in the game for ever and certainly dont have time to be concerned with petty Holden vs Ford rivalrys.

As for magazines vs internet, i think they both have a place. News and information can definitely be sourced sooner online, but magazines like Wheels contains feature stories and content that cant be found online. Keeping the back issues as I have provides some entertaining reading/reminsicing, and are a great resource for information on older cars.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I buy Wheels every month without fail, and have nearly every copy from the mid 70's till today. I've found absolutely no bias towards Holden, against Ford, or towards or against any one make inside the magazine. What goes on the cover is a commercial decision designed to sell more copies to whoever wants one - bogan or not. The cover isn't an indication of the quality of journalism inside the magazine.

Wheels magazine caters to people who are interested in cars of all makes, and the auto industry. Critising it just because of whats on the cover or because Falcon didn't win COTY (when the article probably wasn't even read to find out why) is just pathetic. If one eyed Ford biased fanaticism is all you want, buy one of the many magazines available, or just read the Ford Forums! Wheels writers like Peter Robinson, John Carey and Micheal Stahl are world class journalists who have been in the game for ever and certainly dont have time to be concerned with petty Holden vs Ford rivalrys.

As for magazines vs internet, i think they both have a place. News and information can definitely be sourced sooner online, but magazines like Wheels contains feature stories and content that cant be found online. Keeping the back issues as I have provides some entertaining reading/reminsicing, and are a great resource for information on older cars.
Best post of the thread.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
fatbats
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
I think it was ordinary not to have a front cover based on it, but th write-up is still a bloody good one.

Note though, that in the time-line, they put the EB as a BA Falcon, what is going on there !!!????
I noticed that too. I guess they couldn't find a picture of an EB haha
fatbats is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Quote:
My sarcasm was too subtle !
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Really.....

http://www.acp.com.au/wheels.htm

Yep.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to shoot on sight......

Last edited by jpd80; 10-07-2010 at 06:30 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
So simply put..

Holden drivers = bogans.
Ford drivers = smart people who read the internet and don't waste money.

Some of the replies on this thread are a riot. If you don't like the cover or the magazine then don't bloody buy it. Everyone knows that the new Holden VE 2 is going to be more appealling and attention grabbing than a cover advertising 50 years of the Ford Falcon.

Unfortunetly to us Ford people that's just the way it is so stop crying about it and shutup!!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #29
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

A 50 year contribution in any industry deserves recognition, car industry has had many hard times in recent years, our Aussie Built Falcon is something that Australians should can be proud of and it has given many years of enjoyment and employment for a lot of people.
My dad purchased his 1st Falcon in 1967 and then his 1st new one in 1970 XW Station Wagon.

I agree on the points of Falcon missing out on the front cover, surely after 50 years of car manufacturing in this Country, the Falcon earned the right to grace the cover for its 50th Anniversary.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized

Well said, five star post....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post