Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Playing The Waiting Game (New Fords)

Not having much luck when it comes to ordering a new car from Ford, waiting on a FG XR6T 50TH anniversary model, it was supposed to go down the line last We Wednesday the 21st that was the date given when I ordered the vehicle, update Friday I was told it didn't happen now its heading down the line now 9th of August, I am waiting for a call for the next set back…
In the mean time I get to drive a 1980 front wheel drive Gemini and it’s not very pleasant to drive.

Anyone else waiting for a car or had some decent set backs when placing an order for a new Ford?
It appears the time frames Ford gives are never on the money…

I hear all customers waiting for LPG cars are experiencing big delivery delays even though the cars are sitting at dealers ready to go they can’t be released because of exhaust issues.

My history last 7 years and new Fords.

2003 had to wait 4 ˝ months for a BA XR8 Ute, because of delays problems with Automatics transmissions for the V8, many months late..
2005 waited approx 2 months; delay was quality paint issues at FPV, few weeks late.
2008 Ford Fiesta in stock no delay, wife was happy..
2009 Ford Focus no stock 6 to 8 weeks of the ship, my dad was OK with this as it was almost on delivery date target, 1 week late.
2010 FG XR6T Ute 50TH anniversary, ????

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 27-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the unfortunate thing is that in fords eyes, a sale is still a sale.

If everyone who got goofed around walked away and bought something else (or even soemthing second hand) they'd pull their fingers out straight away
Old 27-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Seems to be par for the course....I waited nearly 2 months for my BF XR6- admittedly there were a few boxes ticked- iDesign interior, FPV style sports steering wheel, LSD, 6 speed auto etc but that was nearly a month longer than the ETA provided by my friendly dealer.
Naturally, when it arrived they had forgotten the reverse sensors, got the wrong steering wheel fitted and I found a large empty pack of starbursts shoved between the seat and the console...nice when you are forced to pay for a detail prior to delivery!
Suffice to say, the dealer principle was very unpleasant to deal with when I pointed these things out to him. Interestingly, said dealership closed down some time ago!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
Old 27-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Ford have an arrogance to their selling style. They know people will wait when a set back occcurs. I agree with SgtBourne, if people walked away it may make them realise but unfortunately, I think they know the majority will wait.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 27-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

At least your new car will be a joy to drive after the Gemini !!!
Old 27-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have only bought 2 new cars that I didn't have to wait for. Both Holdens. Had to wait for 2 Fords and 1 Subaru though. If its what you really want, its usually not so bad.
Old 27-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) Waiting 5-6 weeks for a new car is very very very normal.. Just ask anyone for has bought a new car!!
2) I had no problems with my one. I waited 6 weeks for a XR6T in Dec09. But was told this time pretty much up front. I have no problems waiting for a brand, brand new car to be built to my 100% spec.. Better than it sitting around 4-6 months in a car yard before I buy it..
Old 27-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I'm used to waiting for new cars, it's never been any different for me. Ive never brought floor stock when I've purachsed new.

Waited a couple of months for the BF11 GT.

Waited 6 weeks for a Holden Rodeo 4 x4

Waited 2 months for an AU111 one tonner.

Waited 4 weeks for a WRX bug eye.

Waited 21/2 months for EF1 GLI.

And so far, waited nearly 6 months for the Euro sporty.

It doesn't really worry me the waiting - although 6 months for a car is starting to get a little ridiculous, it aint custom built from precious metals afterall!

You should be proud of yourself driving a Gemini, I didn't think any more remained on the road, registered and working and all that...... at least it isn't a diesel Gem.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spoolman if you want I can look at it for you?
Old 27-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I only buy cars off the floor, i refuse to buy them from the factory for this reason and the fact you dont know what your getting. Yes ive had a bad experience having bought an FPV unseen, now I inspect every car before I pay for it.

Ofcourse it creates issues if you want special options / factory order but the last lot ive bought have all been top of the tree neways.
Old 27-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Not having much luck when it comes to ordering a new car from Ford, waiting on a FG XR6T 50TH anniversary model, it was supposed to go down the line last We Wednesday the 21st that was the date given when I ordered the vehicle, update Friday I was told it didn't happen now its heading down the line now 9th of August, I am waiting for a call for the next set back…
In the mean time I get to drive a 1980 front wheel drive Gemini and it’s not very pleasant to drive.
Spoolman, the beauty of the situation is that you have something that Ford Oz wants (money), and they dont have what you want (a car). Others may not have the exact car you want, but they do have cars.

If you dont exploit this superior bargaining position to its fullest, then there is no one to blame but yourself.
Old 27-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I spoke with a guy from Ford who said that waiting times are going to get longer. They want to train people to get use to the idea that ford dont build cars to sit around and eventually give them away to clear stock. The old days you always ordered a car mainly because there was so many options. Building cars for dealer stock is going to be less common in the future and you are already starting to see it with ford. Selling 4000 cars a month like Holden at cost price in not going to pay the bills. Holden dealers are forced to take stock. I cant see a problem with waiting, at least it is a nice late build date not 6 months old when you get it.
Old 27-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Spoolman, the beauty of the situation is that you have something that Ford Oz wants (money), and they dont have what you want (a car). Others may not have the exact car you want, but they do have cars.

If you dont exploit this superior bargaining position to its fullest, then there is no one to blame but yourself.
How so? He wants a 50th anniversery XR6T, which is reasonably unique. Ford advised a date and have missed that date. Ford need to have a look to see what can be done to address issues such as these. I cant see how the customer is to blame.

Sometimes things happen, which can cause delays (lack of parts or maybe they are looking at doing some sort of fix/change to improve the cars coming off the line - I dont know)

Its certainly not something that is unique to Ford however, I had two friends that ordered a Nissan S15 and a Mitsubishi Evo - both had long waits - originally told 4 months one waited around 6 months, the other even longer (cant recall off the top of my head)

When I get told a delivery date I usually add a bit of extra time - it annoying waiting for a particular date only to find the car has been delayed.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 27-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
FordTick
Starter Motor

Spoolman, I too am waiting on a 50th Anniversay XR6T (Nitro). Once they get it out of Ford, the dealer has to arrange sunroof, tinted windows, etc, so mid to late August for me too.

The old Nissan Skyline Silhouette GTS II will have to do in the meantime I guess.

In my experience you have to wait this kind of timeframe for almost any ordered car whether it be Holden, Subaru, Nissan or wherever. Don't think it is just Ford. It's most of 'em.
Old 27-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'm a floorstock purchaser. I don't often add factory accessories so there's normally plenty of what I'm looking for in a yard somewhere in the colour I want.

Perhaps is mental but also feel you can screw down the price a little more on a car that's sitting in a yard rather than one that needs to be built.
Old 27-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I never buy floor stock as there is usually less scope to discount

Sorry to hear about the delay Spooly :(

Will be worth the wait though!!
Old 27-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I'm a floorstock purchaser. I don't often add factory accessories so there's normally plenty of what I'm looking for in a yard somewhere in the colour I want.

Perhaps is mental but also feel you can screw down the price a little more on a car that's sitting in a yard rather than one that needs to be built.

Its not mental... What is a dealer more likely to give you a skinny deal on? A vehicle in the yard burning up floorplan...

Or a whole new car they have to order....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 27-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #18
barra64
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Works tirelessly in the Classic helping people understand GT Falcons. Ford Australia have given him acces to their records. Enough said! 

ignore any delivery dates the dealer tells you at order time..
until the order pool is processed and you have a final lineup date your order is subject to the funnel of revised schedules based on maximising the number of orders for any daily production capacity..if anything in the supply chain or assembly line goes wrong it all changes again..dealers have very little to do with it so can't really offer an informed timeframe until it's already happened..
Old 27-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #19
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

Actually you will get more discount generally on a specced purpose built car than a stock model- the basic cars tend to have little room to move but loads of room in the options. My XR6 list price was nearly $52k once all the options were ticked but I only paid $43k for it.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
Old 27-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
Actually you will get more discount generally on a specced purpose built car than a stock model- the basic cars tend to have little room to move but loads of room in the options. My XR6 list price was nearly $52k once all the options were ticked but I only paid $43k for it.
G6ET drive away RRP was $62500

I paid $51000 drive away as it was already built and in a holding yard somewhere
Old 27-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #21
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I spoke with a guy from Ford who said that waiting times are going to get longer. They want to train people to get use to the idea that ford dont build cars to sit around and eventually give them away to clear stock. The old days you always ordered a car mainly because there was so many options. Building cars for dealer stock is going to be less common in the future and you are already starting to see it with ford. Selling 4000 cars a month like Holden at cost price in not going to pay the bills. Holden dealers are forced to take stock. I cant see a problem with waiting, at least it is a nice late build date not 6 months old when you get it.
Training people to get use to ordering direct from the factory perhaps?

Would be one way to get more profits from the same quantity of sales.....
Old 27-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man waited 6 months for a Toyota Hilux.... was glad to get rid of it in the end... the wait wasn't worth it.

Me, I buy second hand... the world is my oyster... lol
Old 27-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nearly 4mths waiting for BA XR6.

8mths waiting for a VW GTI.

and yet, the GTI was the better buying experience. despite a long waiting list, they could tell me which week it would be delivered, and that's when it came.

Ford promised 2mths, after 2mths called with the 'bad news' extending it to 3, then at 3mths calling again with the 'bad news' and extending it to 4.

it makes a mockery of Ford when a company on the other side of the world can get their delivery dates right, while Ford cant seem to organise their way out of a paper bag.
Old 28-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
nearly 4mths waiting for BA XR6.

8mths waiting for a VW GTI.

and yet, the GTI was the better buying experience. despite a long waiting list, they could tell me which week it would be delivered, and that's when it came.

Ford promised 2mths, after 2mths called with the 'bad news' extending it to 3, then at 3mths calling again with the 'bad news' and extending it to 4.

it makes a mockery of Ford when a company on the other side of the world can get their delivery dates right, while Ford cant seem to organise their way out of a paper bag.
Thats sounds like the dealer and not Ford who kept pushing back your delivery date. We always have a good idea when we should see a vehicle.
Old 28-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTick
Spoolman, I too am waiting on a 50th Anniversay XR6T (Nitro). Once they get it out of Ford, the dealer has to arrange sunroof, tinted windows, etc, so mid to late August for me too.

The old Nissan Skyline Silhouette GTS II will have to do in the meantime I guess.

In my experience you have to wait this kind of timeframe for almost any ordered car whether it be Holden, Subaru, Nissan or wherever. Don't think it is just Ford. It's most of 'em.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I was also told that my car would hit the production line Wed 21/07, but got a call from the dealer yesterday saying they have my car, and I can pick it up Thursday or Friday.

Only getting the N/A XR6 50th Anniversary, and the dealer is part of the AHG group in WA so I'm guessing they probably nabbed one that was headed for an associated dealer, and the one I ordered will be swapped back later. Could also be that Ford have been surprised by popularity of 50th Ann. models and extended the initial run of N/A XR6s to meet demand.

They know they are not going to lose prospective Turbo buyers, since there is no real alternative, but probably want to get the N/A versions out ASAP to steal a jump on Commodore before their next update. Just my opinion though, haven't got any inside info.

By the way SPOOLMAN, tried but could'nt get them to give me the extended warranty offer, limited to the lucky few who were on the mailing list at time of sending.
Old 28-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #26
mcnamg

Sounds like the dealer overpromising to get you to sign the sales contract and then knwoing you wont go eslewhere once you have signed
Old 28-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Spoke to Ford relationship center yesterday very sketchy with there answers, wont commit to anything anyway my reply from this guy was, he said ''I presumes there order rate was higher than expected so Ford could not put them all down the line.''
I asked him who makes the decision then who gets one and who doesn't? ''his reply he doesn't know.''
To me the staff at Ford relationship center have a generic answer for everything and are only interested in pushing you back to the dealer for answers so we dont clog up there lines.

Nothing wrong with my dealer and the salesmen I have known him for 6 plus years, there are others on here who have known him for longer then this.

I have no problem waiting for a car with the time frame stated, its when Ford push your car back for what ever reason and the only real answer you get is ''I presume''.
I cant imagine there would be to many business's out there giving customers answers like that.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 28-07-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #28
Dave4118
Starter Motor

I got mine on the 7th of july, nitro. Got one of the first 3 made or something (thats what the dealer said anyway, dont know how true) its only the n/a 6 though. Nitro with the darkened 18s looks very nice i love it Its a massive improment over my old BF mk2 fairmont.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #29
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If Ford are pushing back the dates, it could be due to an issue with the car (or paint). If a car is flagged with a problem its not gonna go into Toll's gate as the system will not allow it to be handed over (because once Toll get their hands on it its no longer the factories problem). Back in 06 the quality control system was extended back to when the line begins when the car is a painted shell (I actually think it went further but am not positive). This system will now flag more issues as before it was after the car was built or if an interlock tool flagged it on the system.

The other could be to many orders and cant keep up (which is plausable as they are working O/T).

Or the other could be the dealer saying it'll be this date to get you to sign on the dotted line.
Old 28-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #30
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Or the other could be the dealer saying it'll be this date to get you to sign on the dotted line.
Again nothing to with the dealer, I was only going buy the Ute from 1 of 2 dealers I know both of them..... no pressure on this sale, I told him what I wanted that's it, no trade in, no one had to play salesman.
The dealers cop the backlash all the the time as they are the point of contact for the frustrated Ford customers.

Closed Thread