Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation How to Buy a Ferrari

How to buy a Ferrari
TONY DAVIS
August 6, 2010
We 'spend' a million dollars in a supercar showroom experience.

It's the little things that make it such a pleasure to spend several hundred thousand dollars. Like when the concierge greets you by name - he's been expecting you - and parks your expensive luxury car.

You know, the $330,000 sedan that's already several months old and is starting to bore you. It's not in need of replacing; it just needs supplementing with something a little faster, flasher ... redder.

In my case, the luxury sedan is someone else's and the Ferrari I'm about to "buy" will never really be mine. But I've been sent to the country's biggest and newest Ferrari showroom - at Waterloo in Sydney - to go through the process.

The salesman is waiting for me, too, coffee and fresh pastries at the ready. His name is Richard James, an Englishman on the youngish side (well, the average buyer is 50-plus and he's not that), perfectly groomed with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the brand - and of the all-important option codes. "We make a lot of the Italianness," he says, leading me to a leather lounge in a room lined with historic Ferrari photos. "It's about the overall experience, the technology, the heritage, the performance."

He would say that, wouldn't he? But looking out on half a dozen beautiful spotlit Italian thoroughbreds in the adjacent showroom and with Enzo Ferrari, Niki Lauda and others looking down on us, it's not hard to see the lure of joining this exclusive society.

Most buyers in this part of the market, James says, know exactly what they want. Me, too. I have my heart set on the 599 GTB Fiorano. Why? It has all the hallmarks of a classic Ferrari GT: a V12 engine in the front (but between the axle lines), a wonderfully laid-out two-seater cockpit and performance and handling that are simply stunning.

It also has delectable Pininfarina styling, with distinctive flying buttresses at the rear that would make anyone want to part with, ahem, $718,000. This includes on-road costs and a $7000 "pre-delivery" said to take 18 hours.

"The 599 - a fine choice," James says. But he would say that, too. He talks about the romance of the 599 model, the immediate roar of the V12 and the tactile nature of the driving experience.

A potential buyer can expect a lot more of this talk and some polite questions before the road test vehicle is produced.

Several salesmen of exotic sports cars admitted to us that when someone requests a test drive, they immediately Google who they are before ringing back to confirm the appointment. James says the 599 is "an artisan product, still crafted partly by hand to the exact specifications of each customer". I'm only half listening. I'm too busy trying to decide whether to go the whole hog and tick the HTGE box.

HGTE, or "Handling Gran Turismo Evoluzione", is a $65,000 package that brings together various suspension and gearbox modifications to further sharpen the driving experience. Little cosmetic tweaks - including a matt-finish prancing horse on the boot lid - are included so that the other 150 or so 599 owners in Australia will know your car has the works.

James is soon waxing lyrical about the F1 transmission and the carbon-composite brakes but he's wasting his breath. It's not me who has to be convinced. My thoughts are now concentrating on how I sell this decision at home, where the front gutters still need fixing.

Let's call that a minor detail. There are more immediate things to attend to, such as which seats I want, the choice of steering wheel and, of course, the exterior colour.

I started out thinking my car should be classic Ferrari red (Rosso Corsa) but there's also Rosso Scuderia, seen on the formula one race cars and not quite the same as the road-car red.

We move to the Ferrari Atelier, the side room with rows of wheels, seats, brake rotors, painted metal panels and leather samples.

A large plasma screen displays the various combinations so you can see what your car will look like.

For what seems like hours we discuss my needs, which are great, and James's interest in haggling over the price, which is minuscule.

"I have one slot left for a 2010-build car," he says.

"It's for December."

So what does it take to nail down that spot? Twenty thousand dollars, apparently. I tear an imaginary cheque from an imaginary butt against a promise of a March or April delivery. That's good going - if I wanted the new 458 Italia coupe, I'd be waiting up to two years.

To complete the deal, I must nail down the exact specifications over the next week or two and front up with a non-refundable deposit for 10 per cent of the total value. I've announced myself as a journalist, so I'll never find out how much real haggling can be done over the price of the car (or more likely the value of a trade), so we'll work off the official price list.

I'm going to go with the HGTE option. It's going to lift the drive-away price to $783,000 but will help me extract the most from my 456kW and 608Nm.

I'll stick with the standard HGTE rims - rather fetching cross-bolted five-spokers - and forgo the rather gauche Scuderia Ferrari shields on the front guards ($4277). However, I'm not missing out on yellow brake calipers ($2500).

Exterior finish? I'm still agonising. An almost-unlimited range makes choosing harder not easier. Furthermore, James says the company is now offering matt finishes, though these have to be washed in demineralised water. I don't want to be right out there on the edge of fashion and there's the question of resale, too.

The only major no-no is pink - Ferrari apparently doesn't do pink. And it must be a colour found in the near-universal Pantone Colour Matching system. The reason is obvious: if you invent your own shade - matching your favourite faded crockery, for example - when you cop a trolley scratch in the supermarket car park, no one will be able to do a perfect match.

The standard palette includes Grigio Ingrid, the silvery-tan-grey developed for the bespoke Ferrari coupe that film director Roberto Rossellini commissioned for his actor wife, Ingrid Bergman.

But the one that has grabbed me is Rosso Monza, which is a maroon, and represents a $45,000 special order.

Now, $45K for a special paint sounds like a lot, until you consider ... no, it is a lot.

But if you're at this end of the market, why quibble? I tick the box, feeling the car will look terrific with tan or grey leather trim. It may take me a few visits back to the Atelier, however, to work out which particular tan or grey and the colour of the stitching ($1017 for a contrasting thread).

The test car had the Carbon Fibre Pack 2, which included various carbon-fibre interior panels and parts (such as gear-shifting paddles) and a carbon-fibre top section to the steering wheel with an LED panel that lit up at the optimum gear-change points. It's $16,060 but, hell, I'll probably only ever buy one 599.

I'm also having the seatbelts coloured to match the leather stitching ($2098) and, for practical reasons, opting for parking sensors at $2783.

There is the chance to spend about $18,000 having various parts of the interior lined with Alcantara but I'll stick with standard (mostly leather).

That saves almost enough to buy the luggage set to maximise the cargo space for those weekends away. It's $16,118 for the boot bags but the additional luggage for the shelf behind the two beautifully sculptured seats looks even more terrific. Yes, it's $7447 more but everything about it can be matched to go with my cockpit.

I want the top of the dashboard coloured to my taste ($3025) and some extra leather panels on the rear bench and under the doors ($5931).

Total price: just under $885,000. Abstemious, or what?

I now just have to finalise a few of the other smaller details (and they can be changed up to a certain point before the build date) and write another cheque to make up 10 per cent of the grand total. There's also the small matter of coming up with the other $800K or so before delivery. But that's months away.

So I'm now on the waiting list, which comes with a string of customer benefits, such as the right to participate (at extra cost) in a range of owner-only events at grands prix. There are drive days at racetracks (including Ferrari's Fiorano test circuit, after which the car is named). I can visit the factory, too. So that's how you do it. There's nothing difficult at all about buying a Ferrari. The wonder, in fact, is that everyone doesn't do it.

$4277 Scuderia Ferrari shields on front guards. $45,000 Special-order Rosso Monza paint. $16,118 Matching boot luggage bag.

My comment and we complain at what Ford charge for accessories !!!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i is bought an FPV and scored a t - shirt and a manky cup of coffee.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My god!

what it must be like to be able to throw cash like that down the dunny
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
GYRKIN GT

Thing that amazes me is that there are, or will be, "150 or so 599 owners in Australia" and it's a vehicle with a mean price of $900,000. That's an amazing number of people splashing around an enormous amount of money on just that single model. Now, what was that about hard economic times?
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I can trade in the work ute for a Matching Boot luggage bag!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
My god!

what it must be like to be able to throw cash like that down the dunny
Well first you have to be pretty flushed with cash.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I work for an insurer and I can tell you that there is no shortage of people buying these cars. From Astons to Maybachs to Ferrari's I've seen the lot. There really isn't a financial crisis for some. A lot from what I am seeing seem to be coming for buyers in Victoria.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Good Words....
I would only be interested in Packages that give you Performance Edge.
The rest will be bad for my Ferrari, as it adds unnescessary weight and Snob Factor.
Now where is the local showroom.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i is bought an FPV and scored a t - shirt and a manky cup of coffee.......
So you didn't get ?
"The salesman is waiting for me, too, coffee and fresh pastries at the ready. "
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

danm, when i picked up my XC ute from a place in the bush out near gympie, all i got offered was the ladder racks for an extra $10
Although if it was a ferrari ute new from the show room id probably be paying about $82000 for the ladder rack option >.>
Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
So you didn't get ?
"The salesman is waiting for me, too, coffee and fresh pastries at the ready. "
ohhh forgot i got stale bickies to man.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Wow, some people just have too much money

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I work for an insurer and I can tell you that there is no shortage of people buying these cars. From Astons to Maybachs to Ferrari's I've seen the lot. There really isn't a financial crisis for some. A lot from what I am seeing seem to be coming for buyers in Victoria.
There is a "family" in my street that own several houses in a row (bought old ones, and demolished them, to rebuild mansions), and a few more houses scattered nearby.

They have several Ferraris, Hummers, Porches, you name it. Only ever see them for a few months, then they disappear and there are new ones in their place.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn, it's almost a crime that some people can afford to spend so much money on toys, I wish I was one of them.

Excellent article.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper575
Damn, it's almost a crime that some people can afford to spend so much money on toys, I wish I was one of them.

Excellent article.

well dont wish mate DO!!!!! your not gunna get any were in life by wishing. work hard make some good choices and investments and you to will be well off. its not that hard just save save save and work very hard.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
well dont wish mate DO!!!!! your not gunna get any were in life by wishing. work hard make some good choices and investments and you to will be well off. its not that hard just save save save and work very hard.
hahaha
While you are it, why don't you tell him to not have any kids, not have a girlfriend/wife, social life, drink alcohol, smoke, own a TV, or even connect to the internet!
Then if you put every cent into the bank, by the time he is 65 he will be able to afford one (at a rate of saving $20,000 per year for 45 years).
But then insurance and service costs will send him bankrupt in one year.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
hahaha
While you are it, why don't you tell him to not have any kids, not have a girlfriend/wife, social life, drink alcohol, smoke, own a TV, or even connect to the internet!
Then if you put every cent into the bank, by the time he is 65 he will be able to afford one (at a rate of saving $20,000 per year for 45 years).
But then insurance and service costs will send him bankrupt in one year.

i lived in a tent for 2 years in my mates backyard and bathed in a creek and ate rice and potatos. worked my guts off and was able to save 180k to buy my first house. just go with out for a while. people seem to want to much to soon.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

mate do they take VISA?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i lived in a tent for 2 years in my mates backyard and bathed in a creek and ate rice and potatos. worked my guts off and was able to save 180k to buy my first house. just go with out for a while. people seem to want to much to soon.
You were single at the time, right?
Mind you, once have a fazza you will not have any trouble picking up the girls looking for a meal ticket. Or perhaps you could just eat at the dealership
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Bluddy luxury... when I were lad, lived in a shoe box in middle of road, got out a bed afore I went t' bed, tell kids t'day......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLoVF7vcBtY
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
glavas

Quote:
You were single at the time, right?
Mind you, once have a fazza you will not have any trouble picking up the girls looking for a meal ticket. Or perhaps you could just eat at the dealership

nah i was married. the wife use to look after the kids all day. the kids loved it. but to this day i refuse to never go camping again i hate it.

but yeah you are right about that tho.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Bluddy luxury... when I were lad, lived in a shoe box in middle of road, got out a bed afore I went t' bed, tell kids t'day.......

i dont understand how can you live in a shoe box?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i dont understand how can you live in a shoe box?
ROFL
Maybe it was a shoebox chev!

You must have a very tolerant wife. But I can understand what you are saying by the need to be focussed on what you want. In your case it was a home for your family - so well done to you. I do not know if i could be quite so focussed on a car though.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #24
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Sorry I'm being silly, but what about this one!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1...eature=related
Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #25
glavas

Quote:
ROFL
Maybe it was a shoebox chev!

You must have a very tolerant wife. But I can understand what you are saying by the need to be focussed on what you want. In your case it was a home for your family - so well done to you. I do not know if i could be quite so focussed on a car though.

yeah thanks mate. well we both wanted a nice house for the family so we decided to do the hard yards. its only 2 years out of the possable 75 or so that im gunna live so no biggy really.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #26
xalent
Red Eye Racing

What, no paint protection pack?
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
I can trade in the work ute for a Matching Boot luggage bag!!!!

Phhh why just go down to bunnings buy a $2 Black bucket you know have a matching boot bag for your work ute .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Good story, its probably just me but ive noticed a lot more highend cars getting around Brisbane over the last few months. Astons, Lambos, Ferraris, seem to see a few a day. Dont even mention Audi R8s, they are common as muck now.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Good story, its probably just me but ive noticed a lot more highend cars getting around Brisbane over the last few months. Astons, Lambos, Ferraris, seem to see a few a day. Dont even mention Audi R8s, they are common as muck now.

porce cahyaene turbos(the 4wd ones that wouldent be taken off road anyway) i see everywere around brisbane.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #30
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
For some, the financial crisis meant they could only have 3x $500k luxury cars in the garage, not 5
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post