Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
79bluexd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question dedicated LPG ( help please)

Yes i searched and couldn't find any info.

I had a for dealer ring me to tell me they have a dedicated LPG Xr6 ute with demo kms on it for a good price and Viper colour like i want ...

I am worried about LPG always liked petrol ..

any had any experience with new 2009/2010 dedicated LPG

i don't want to loose power

79bluexd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
gaz084
F1D procharged ute

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: With the amount of detail Gareth has put into his BF heat exchanger by-pass modification ... and also his work on his supercharged BA EGAS build thread has been a help to many on this forum when it comes to DIY inginuity. 

If your after power than the egas isnt for you but they have more tourqe available earlier than the petrol models so they do feel the same when in the lower rpm range,if you want the same power as petrol on lpg then best bet is to by a petrol model and put it on liquid lpg injection.

The egas has 156kw wich for everyday driving is a good amount of power.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283622
gaz084 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I've found the gas consumption to be rather on the high side particularly for a vehicle that does a lot of highway driving. The current average is probably only fractionally better than 19l/100 km and that's after about 12,000 km.

Other than that, I have no issues with the performance and even at that consumption level it is still cheap to run.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
xy500
Constant annoyance

I would definitely not get an egas ute, they have all the downrated gear, worse gearbox, shonky diff and no balls. Or at least they did for the ba & bf.
MUCH better off getting a petrol version and converting yourself.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
I would definitely not get an egas ute, they have all the downrated gear, worse gearbox, shonky diff and no balls. Or at least they did for the ba & bf.
+1

You would be mad to get the current spec Ford LPG.

Can you hold out for a while? Ford are working on something that will bring smiles to alot of people, and hopefully win a few more over to LPG.

Your much better to get a SVI/LILPG system installed aftermarket.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I've found the gas consumption to be rather on the high side particularly for a vehicle that does a lot of highway driving. The current average is probably only fractionally better than 19l/100 km and that's after about 12,000 km.

Other than that, I have no issues with the performance and even at that consumption level it is still cheap to run.

Cheers
Russ
that sounds like high consumption ?? my BA would average about 12L / 100km. cost me on average about $10 per 100km for gas at qld prices. i have found that although the gas is dearer in the country i use less on the open road so the $/km works out the same for country and city driving.

i am quite happy with the power available. had no issues with the gearbox or diff. only problems its ever had are the coils which is normal and had a ecu fail, other then that its been 165000km of happy motoring.

i like the egas

'.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
that sounds like high consumption ?? my BA would average about 12L / 100km. cost me on average about $10 per 100km for gas at qld prices. i have found that although the gas is dearer in the country i use less on the open road so the $/km works out the same for country and city driving.

i am quite happy with the power available. had no issues with the gearbox or diff. only problems its ever had are the coils which is normal and had a ecu fail, other then that its been 165000km of happy motoring.

i like the egas.
The old man (who owns an AUIII ute) would say the same thing.

Bought the ute brand spanking new in 2002. Has covered roughly 300000km in that time.
Has had absolutely no issues with the gas side of things in that time. It is serviced every 15000km/12 months by his trusted mechanic.
Come to think of it, the most severe thing to occur is a split radiator, and a chewed out rotor (due to a small stone lodged between the pad and rotor)

As a farm ute, he is more concerned with the torque the engine produces, and its ability to carry/pull a load. Both criterion are fulfilled by this ute.

For everyday A-B driving, the egas falcon is hard to beat. I wish the consumption would be a bit lower, but it is still cheap to run, and if serviced at the correct intervals, damn reliable!!!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for an everyday workhorse they are hard to beat and cheap but if you intend to try to squeeze an extra few kilowats out of it then good luck. Generally the 40 year old technology in an egas just won't let that happen. As has been said if you don't want to lose power buy a petrol one and have it converted to gas . Check out the threads in the LPG section of the forums.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
peeds13
XC AMS

It comes down to what you want it for. If u need it as a work ute, then go that for sure. But if u want a toy, get the petrol.
peeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

I have had the base (gas only) model for a year now with the 4 speed auto as my work ute, pretty dissapointed with the package overall, the XR6 might be better though.. Trans is average, keep getting Trans Failure flashing up on the centre screen, Ford have said it is a TCM issue but say that th ute doesn't have a TCM, no power, got to really push it hard, goes through gas like water, hard as ****** suspension that becomes bone shattering after a while and A/C is crap. Everyone at work is swapping them for the holden utes and are saying that they are a lot better.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

The current egas system is on it's last legs. The system was at the top of it's class 10 years ago - it is now at the bottom.

As has been said, get the petrol version and do a dual fuel conversion - it will only cost you a coupla thou after rebate and it will fullfil all your requirements.

Having said that .... if you are happy with 150kW (drive it to see what you think) then Ford will do very (VERY) good deals to move the last of their egas motors out the door before next year's new version arrives. You might decide that the $8k or so you will save on the deal will buy you a lot of gas for a lot of years to come.

PS Russ, there is definitely something wrong with yours as it should be around 15 all day every day. Geez, even my 351 Cleveland gets 15 in the XF ute.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw

Cheers
Russ
That sounds excessive... Mixed highway/city driving current FG company cars at my work all average about the 15's
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin suss
That sounds excessive... Mixed highway/city driving current FG company cars at my work all average about the 15's
My wifes '09 EGas XR6 ute is averaging 14.5L/100 highway/city (just under 60km/h average). Performance from stoplight-to-stoplight seems fine, but compared to my old AU 5.0L (175kw), the torque is missing for towing at higher speeds ... it wants to change down gears too much. Personally I would have preferred petrol, but it's her car.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
redman

I have an October 2008 G6 e-Gas sedan since new. Same engine and transmission as the ute being discussed. The power and torque is more than adequate for every day driving and even towing.

I have just checked the numbers and to date it has done 48,500km, used 7,935 litres of gas for a total cost of $3,769.00. This gives (near enough) 16.36l/100km or the figure that I really like, $7.77/100km. The driving is wierd mix of touring, holiday travel and inner city (Melbourne) clogged up peak hour crawl.

The new gas system should be even better, but the current one beats petrol hands down.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well put it this way, I was about 2k out of pocket with my system (SVI). I now average between 12-13l/100 in an AU. No backfire issue, smooth running and close to no power loss.

Your much better off getting a ex demo ute or near new and spend the savings on a good LPG setup.

IMO in 2010 a mixer system shouldn't even be for sale.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
+2

You can't beat dual fuel for redundancy.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The eGas utes also get a big tank, I think around 110 litres.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The eGas utes also get a big tank, I think around 110 litres.
they have two seperate tanks.

At my work, out of a fleet of 20 egas utes, 5 have had the diff fail and need complete replacement before reaching 200,000km.
For a replacement cost of 4 grand that alone is enough to make me never want to buy one.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

i find a lot of people get hung up on the age of the technology under the bonnet. here's an idea. don't open the bonnet. you are beating yourself mentally before you even give the car a chance.

for a lot of people, the egas does everything it needs to.

79bluexd - what car are you hopping out of? this is what you will most likely compare the performance to when you drive the egas. if you compare it to the ba/f and fg petrol engines, then it will feel a little sluggish under acceleration but if you are hopping out of anything older than a ba, the performance won't be an issue.

old technology doesn't make something bad.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i find a lot of people get hung up on the age of the technology under the bonnet. here's an idea. don't open the bonnet. you are beating yourself mentally before you even give the car a chance.

for a lot of people, the egas does everything it needs to.

79bluexd - what car are you hopping out of? this is what you will most likely compare the performance to when you drive the egas. if you compare it to the ba/f and fg petrol engines, then it will feel a little sluggish under acceleration but if you are hopping out of anything older than a ba, the performance won't be an issue.

old technology doesn't make something bad.
it does make it worse than the alternative though, especially when the egas costs the same as the petrol version.
Old 13-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
it does make it worse than the alternative though, especially when the egas costs the same as the petrol version.
Bingo. And think about this. A LPG mixer system used to be around the $2500 mark, with the rebate you can get a SVI system for the same if not less out of pocket expense.

You also get the opportunity to choose your own car to your taste, find a nice BF XR6 equipped with a ZF and put a SVI system on it for the same price as getting a FG Egas. Its a no brainer to me, the only thing you miss out on is a longer warranty and a couple of the FG niceities. Even then some late BF2's might stil have the balance left.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
if i'm in the market for an lpg car, and i have a budget, it will be more expensive to buy a petrol one and have it converted, than to buy an egas.

i'm not saying one is better than the other. i just get annoyed when people automatically write off the egas because its 'slower' or isn't as efficient as the latest tech lpg even though its still cheaper than petrol.

believe it or not, not everyone looks for 'how fast a car is' when buying a car. i have a modified v8 - i like fast cars, but my egas is the family wagon and fulfills every need i have in that area. i don't have extra guages just tacked on to the dash and my trip computer retains 100% functionality. aftermarket conversions still haven't solved this issue, which for some, is a bigger issue than a loss of performance.

the OP stated he was concerned about power loss, however he hasn't stated what it is he will be comparing it to. if he currently drives an ef or au, then he won't notice the loss of power compared to the fg petrol.

having said all that, there are a lot of variables when choosing which is right for you. one of the factors when i was choosing which path to go, was the small amount of km i do each year (less than 10k) so it would take me a lot longer than average to pay off a conversion. if you do more than 20k/yr then a conversion makes a lot more sense.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

What? Are you saying that he will notice power loss in a FG I6 and not an AU? If so thats not true, its exactly the same "loss", infact if you wanted to get serious you can tune a LILPG for more power than the petrol equivalnt.

Granted we are not talking massive numbers but a gain nevertheless, and you get cheaper running costs.

How much is an egas falcon? Lets say a FG egas XR6?

I decided go go the svi route simply for the greater reliability, better consumption and refinement; pretty good reasons IMO.

If egas is the only option then yeah (as it was say 2-3 years ago), you can live with it, but these days it just doesn't cut the mustard, and with the gov rebate IMO your mad to not go down that path.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

i'm saying, if the OP has an ef falcon, and upgrades to a bf or fg egas, he will not notice any power loss!! if he is currently driving a b series or fg petrol model, then an egas will feel sluggish.

as for reliability and refinement, you've lost me there. i would argue that modern egas cars are reliable and refined!

i agree that if engine performance is a priority, then egas cars probably aren't for you but to say they 'don't cut the mustard' is going too far. mine does an excellent job at what it was designed to do. i paid 16k for mine 2 yrs ago. had i bought a petrol one and converted it, i would still be paying off the lpg conversion, my trip computer would no longer work 100% and i'd have a tacky looking guage stuck on my interior trim somewhere. sure, it might go harder in a straight line, but its a family wagon.

that is my situation and for me, the egas at the time was a better fit for me.

all i'm saying, is its not always such a cut and dry arguement. there are many variables to consider.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

True its horses for courses but he did state a 09/10 model, not BA.

In that case his looking at atleast $30k for a 09/10 eGas Ute. $30k is alot of dosh for a LPG system that dates back further than EA (granted its been touchd up here and there but the basics are the same).

For around $20k you can get a low k's BF XR6, in manual or hunt for a ZF and then a top notch LIPLG system is say $6500 installed, minus rebate of $1500 (last time I checked). So for around $25k you can have a good as new XR6 ute, the best LPG system going around and $5k in the pocket.

My SVI system is a setup from a B series and while not liquid injection, the vapour system runs very well and it set me back $3500, minus rebate of $1500, so $2k instead of the $4k for LILPG.

Most people are not even aware of other systems which is a shame, and by all accounts their new factory system is going to be a winner if they can market it well enough.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane