Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
GTP-03

Default picture of FG-HEADLINE: corrosion issue eating away at owner

OK Im a casual sort of guy, Ford bashing doesnt usually worry me, as ive owned many Fords and keep buying them because they are pretty relaible and cheap to fix, sure there not perfect cars, but there are cars that have just as many problems that dont get much of a bad wrap, because of there popularity.
Where am I going with this, well im glad you all asked. In the Adelaide Advertiser today there is a section called ask Smithy, basically he publishes emails from people who have had problems with there cars, and tries to offer them a solution.
The problem is that he seems to be ignoring all the people that write in with there problems of one particulary brand (no prizes for guessing which brand) and he publishes the most scathing letters about late model Fords which are still under warranty on a weekly basis! Fair enough these owners have problems with there cars but in my experience usually things get sorted out so why bother brand bashing Ford all the time, hes single handidly costing Ford sales unfairly, as these letters could be ficticious and probarbly would be sorted eventually if they were entirley honest emails which are being published.
The latest title "Corrosion eating away at owner" and a big colour picture of an FG is surely unfair towards Ford. If hes going to do that to Ford its only fair he publishes a pic of other brands when they have problems, not just use his silly segment as a boxing ring to punish Ford!

Old 18-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i didnt think Adelaide was big enough to have its own paper
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Kryton

The Herald Sun's Car Guide has a similar (if not the same) column weekly and the guy is a douche.
Same deal, gets a bug up his arze and harps on about it for months.

I dont even bother reading the crap he prints any more, he has lost all credibility and should be promoted straight to ACA as a reporter - that s about the quality of his tripe.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

I would write in and state that you think he is being biased towards Fords....?

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Noticed that in this weeks Cars"guide". Funny also there is never ever a real problem with a VE Commodore.

I'm tending to ignore that section in the paper each Friday, very pro-Holden. The accuracy of some of the problems they have with Fords appear questionable as well.

Just noticed there is a new comparison in the Cars"Guide" between the XT Falcon and the VE2 Omega.

Link: http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...comparo_review

I just cannot work out how the Omega gets a score of 76 vs 70 for the XT, after getting the impression that the Falcon beats Omega on quite a number of items including importantly better fuel consumption and transmission, the only real drawback being the single vs dual climate on the Omega. And $40,290 for the XT? Who would pay that?

You gotta be joking, Cars"guide".
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well he was a former Holden employee although he claims to own a Falcon (XW/XY?) GT....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
GTP-03

Why would you buy an XT for above 40k, when there advetising the 50th anniversary Falcon with all the extras for around 35k driveaway, and yes the guy is biased, and yes the Holden did win out over the Ford, but bear in mind it was 1 persons opinion, its the new model which gets the new screen, and a few little bits and peices, which is hardly worth all the rave reviews they seem to get at every model upgrade, but the torque figure was 290nm for the Holden and 391nm for the Ford, the Falcon creams it by miles, but you guessed it no or little mention of that in the article
Old 19-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
fordv8!

he is always bagging ford you cant tell me people dont email about holden problems geez i know guys who own them and have had a lot of problems!!! About a month ago he was bagging the ZF saying it wasnt much chop pfffttt!!!!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
GTP-03

The first day my manager got his VE he had to call the Fleet department because it wouldnt start and they had to tow it back to the dealer, not long after he had to get the alternator replaced because the battery kept going flat, he also had to take it in to get new brake lines because there was a risk of it catching fire! All of this happend within the first 2 years, Im not saying Fords dont have there problems but dont mislead the public in a one sided brand bashing display that goes out to thousands of readers each week, they deserve better journalism than that and so do the workers that depend on feeding there families from the sales of the product they make!
Old 19-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
hillbilly5.0
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
OK Im a casual sort of guy, Ford bashing doesnt usually worry me, as ive owned many Fords and keep buying them because they are pretty relaible and cheap to fix, sure there not perfect cars, but there are cars that have just as many problems that dont get much of a bad wrap, because of there popularity.
Where am I going with this, well im glad you all asked. In the Adelaide Advertiser today there is a section called ask Smithy, basically he publishes emails from people who have had problems with there cars, and tries to offer them a solution.
The problem is that he seems to be ignoring all the people that write in with there problems of one particulary brand (no prizes for guessing which brand) and he publishes the most scathing letters about late model Fords which are still under warranty on a weekly basis! Fair enough these owners have problems with there cars but in my experience usually things get sorted out so why bother brand bashing Ford all the time, hes single handidly costing Ford sales unfairly, as these letters could be ficticious and probarbly would be sorted eventually if they were entirley honest emails which are being published.
The latest title "Corrosion eating away at owner" and a big colour picture of an FG is surely unfair towards Ford. If hes going to do that to Ford its only fair he publishes a pic of other brands when they have problems, not just use his silly segment as a boxing ring to punish Ford!
I thought it was just me
hillbilly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
OK Im a casual sort of guy, Ford bashing doesnt usually worry me.......
Hey GTP, why not write in with two bogus emails (from separate accounts)....
One horror story for both a Ford and a Holden, and see if they get published.
You might get lucky with a bite, and then you could expose the newspaper columnist for
either bias or not checking his facts, or both.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Hey GTP, why not write in with two bogus emails (from separate accounts)....
One horror story for both a Ford and a Holden, and see if they get published.
You might get lucky with a bite, and then you could expose the newspaper columnist for
either bias or not checking his facts, or both.
Facts , Vermin like this clown would never let facts get in the way of him peddling his agenda .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

commodores are made in Adelaide, so why are you surprised? i suspect there's a pro-Ford bias in Melbourne...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
i didnt think Adelaide was big enough to have its own paper
Your'e a clown aren't you? You ever been there?
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
commodores are made in Adelaide, so why are you surprised? i suspect there's a pro-Ford bias in Melbourne...
You'd definetely be wrong about then.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Don't stress about it, it's only a 2nd rate jurno with limitted knowledge, look at it this way, we all know both brand's have their inherant problem's, if people are narrow minded to read into his dribble and go and buy on his advice, they will soon see that the "other" brand has just as much concern if not more, and hopefully will learn from their mistake.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Don't stress about it, it's only a 2nd rate jurno with limitted knowledge, look at it this way, we all know both brand's have their inherant problem's, if people are narrow minded to read into his dribble and go and buy on his advice, they will soon see that the "other" brand has just as much concern if not more, and hopefully will learn from their mistake.
Well said mate. People will learn no car is perfect regardless of what badge resides on the front.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
GTP-03

thanks for the show of confidence hillybilly5.0, you seem like a great guy and an inspiration to us all
Old 19-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That "Smithy" rat brain is also syndicated to a Qld paper and I agree, his bias is aggravating, even extending to an article he wrote about 2nd hand cars where he singled out old Ford Lasers as being a POS.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordv8!
he is always bagging ford you cant tell me people dont email about holden problems geez i know guys who own them and have had a lot of problems!!! About a month ago he was bagging the ZF saying it wasnt much chop pfffttt!!!!!
HAHA. DOESNT HOLDEN USE THE SAME GEAR BOX NOW...BUT FORD PULLS IT APART AND MAKES IT EVEN BETTER WITH DOUBLE SYNCROS OR SOMETHING....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
That "Smithy" rat brain is also syndicated to a Qld paper and I agree, his bias is aggravating, even extending to an article he wrote about 2nd hand cars where he singled out old Ford Lasers as being a POS.
I'd say he was spot on.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #22
CODSASR

I like in the carsguide artical posted above when it comes to design the VE is newer and fresher and the FG dates back to BA styaling what a retard
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #23
nitro50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
HAHA. DOESNT HOLDEN USE THE SAME GEAR BOX NOW...BUT FORD PULLS IT APART AND MAKES IT EVEN BETTER WITH DOUBLE SYNCROS OR SOMETHING....
This is for the 6 speed manual.

I think from memory someone has already written in a while ago (in the Melb Sun-Herald) to complain about a holden bias in the Cars Guide.

Steven.
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordv8!
Perhaps the Holden contingent are to illiterate to write in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Ah no, VE runs a GM 6 speed box, Ford runs the ZF as seen in the expensive Euro's. Hence the ZF always wins in the comparo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
You'll find this in any major news limited publication.

It was funny as recently they started bagging on Toyota's until the 50th anniversary was released where it went straight back to the Falcon/Terri. You see the odd Commodore come on but the problem is so weak that it'll make it on the page.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ah no, VE runs a GM 6 speed box, Ford runs the ZF as seen in the expensive Euro's. Hence the ZF always wins in the comparo's.
He may have had it confused with the manual which I believe isn't far off the mark. The 6 speed manual boxes in the Fords feel much smoother and slicker than that of the Holden which feels clunky and occasionally difficult to select 1st. My understanding is because of the double vs single synchros (though, I could be well off the mark...)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #26
hillbilly5.0
Starter Motor

Quote:
thanks for the show of confidence hillybilly5.0, you seem like a great guy and an inspiration to us all
my bad sorry mate i thought he was saying fewl not meaning fool as in wiping my brow you know few
Old 19-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #27
hillbilly5.0
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly5.0
my bad sorry mate i thought he was saying fewl not meaning fool as in wiping my brow you know few
i have noticed it a lot to
Old 19-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
He may have had it confused with the manual which I believe isn't far off the mark. The 6 speed manual boxes in the Fords feel much smoother and slicker than that of the Holden which feels clunky and occasionally difficult to select 1st. My understanding is because of the double vs single synchros (though, I could be well off the mark...)
Could have, but thought it was only the new 6 speed Miami powered manuals that were getting the ZF double clutch system?
Old 19-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I'd say he was spot on.

I agree he's spot on but that's not the point.

He could have selected a lot of makes from that era, but once again he chose a Ford to bag.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #30
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Well he was a former Holden employee although he claims to own a Falcon (XW/XY?) GT....

That's real credible isn't it,if i had a dollar for every time i heard someone say they had an older GT
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post