Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
gtp42
BA GTP

Default Insurance for Supercharged Gt

I had the car supercharged (YT Whipple) about a year ago but wanted to make sure the insurance would still be ok before hand so contacted my insurer (Suncorp). They said no problem and just to let them know when the work was done so they could note the policy. I did that and they willing included the mods. Now 12 months later I get a letter from Suncorp informing me that they will no longer insure the car and that the policy will be cancelled in 30 days time.

I've had insurance with them for over 30 years and never made a claim but that means nothing apparently. Anyway I am wanting to know who has managed to get full comprehensive insurance for a supercharged car and if so who with (in Qld). I have contacted Shannons and they will but I'm not real impressed with what they offered so any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has the car been engineered with the supercharger?

If not, good luck with your insurance. Quite surprised that Suncorp did it without a certificate.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Shannons would be your best bet now...
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
brendan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Shannons would be your best bet now...
Lol the stupid thing about that is, Shannons is owned by Suncorp along with AAMI.
brendan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try just car insurance
Old 21-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try Lumleys and Rhino insurance, I know Rhino will do it as long as its a legal mod.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Give Ryno a go, I am with them, modded car and they are fine.
Old 21-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
philfree

I would try nrma my mate has 2 modified commodores with very good premiums and a couple of at fault claims not a problem with them.
philfree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
schultzie
Just Images

all being said if it aint a legal mod then you could be up poo creek.

Last year when my car caught fire and i updated the policy i got grilled as to why i didnt have the airbags enginerred, and i had to explain to them they were only a load assistant.

that being said from what i understand if your at fault they have to be able to proove that the mod caused the accident... pays to get stuff enginerred
Old 21-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
kevinj

Had problems with RACQ, they said because my mods were worth more than half the market value of the car they would no longer insure it. Called Shannons, got an agreed value policy for 23,000 windscreen cover,and only 500 excess for 697 per year (better than RACQ anyway)

My wife has been missing a week now. The police said to prepare for
the worst. So, I had to go down to the Salvos to get all of her clothes
back.
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt47569
try just car insurance
Also a suncorp brand
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I have full comp thru AAMI... Have spoken about s/c and as long as the agreed value doesn't change drastically they will keep the policy.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
gtp42
BA GTP

Thanks for the replies and I will certainly try those that have been suggested. The mods were engineered and I have the compliance plate and certificate. That's what surprised me, the mods are ADR compliant & have been approved by Qld Transport but apparently still not good enough for Suncorp. I wonder what their views will be on the new model Fords when they come from the factory supercharged.

Anyway thanks again to those who replied and now I can make some more enquiries.
Old 22-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Suncorp tend to be rather conservative under the Suncorp name, not real keen on modified vehicles but they love white toyota camry's.

Under their other names they run things differently and under different rules. When you look at all the different names in insurance, there are actually only a small number of companies that own them. Its a bit like buying your groceries, it might be marked black and gold but it is owned by Heinz.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp42
Thanks for the replies and I will certainly try those that have been suggested. The mods were engineered and I have the compliance plate and certificate. That's what surprised me, the mods are ADR compliant & have been approved by Qld Transport but apparently still not good enough for Suncorp. I wonder what their views will be on the new model Fords when they come from the factory supercharged.

Anyway thanks again to those who replied and now I can make some more enquiries.
The issue will be the modification, if the supercharger was factory fitted it wouldn't make any difference to the premium, they will asses its risk based on the cars value, area its insured and your record.....
The fact its now modified, even with an engineers cert means its now an "unknown" risk...