Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Boot opens itself

My LS Sedan boot has been opening/unlocking itself intermittently. It has happened when parked, and also when I have just driven off...

You can actually hear it open, like as if you have pressed the keyfob etc.

Anyone know what might be the cause? The damn open button on the boot lid itself works sometimes, and sometime not. I quite hate it, as this happened since I bought the car new 3 years ago.

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it sounds like the lock electronic actuator on the boot may be faulty or the lock now misaligned for some reason.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
it sounds like the lock electronic actuator on the boot may be faulty or the lock now misaligned for some reason.
The actual motor for the boot is fine, as the keyfob boot button never fails and is the only reliable trigger to open the boot.

Its the handle button on the boot lid that sometimes works and sometimes does not, and sometimes opens itself! LOL

What is a replacement button worth?

Imaz

Old 28-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common problem and no success > http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=11292

Imaz

Old 28-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
somers181

This happended to me a few months back in my LS and i posted a similar thread and the solution was to replace the battery in your key!!!

My tailgate was openning all the time whether stationery or driving and was driving me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong without going into ford dealership and them charging me a fortune to fix........

I just swapped it over with the spare key as this was quick fix and it worked perfectly.......

goodluck, Rick
Old 28-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers181
This happended to me a few months back in my LS and i posted a similar thread and the solution was to replace the battery in your key!!!

My tailgate was openning all the time whether stationery or driving and was driving me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong without going into ford dealership and them charging me a fortune to fix........

I just swapped it over with the spare key as this was quick fix and it worked perfectly.......

goodluck, Rick
Are we really that stupid? It happens when you dont even press the keyfob, which means even when driving. Pressing the keyfob boot release actually never fails and works everytime I want to open the boot. Pressing the boot release on the BOOT ITSELF sometimes work and mostly doesnt.

Imaz

Old 28-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
somers181

Not sure i follow your query......... who are you saying is stupid????? Ford Design?????

Have you tried changing the battery in your key or use a spare key with the other one moved away from the car because thats probably causing the problem....

I would be driving along and can hear the latch on the tailgate open itself, it could happen as many as 3 - 4 times in a row and it would happen when the car was stationery, parked or driving........ it lasted for about 2 weeks until i changed over keys..........
Old 28-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers181
Not sure i follow your query......... who are you saying is stupid????? Ford Design?????

Have you tried changing the battery in your key or use a spare key with the other one moved away from the car because thats probably causing the problem....

I would be driving along and can hear the latch on the tailgate open itself, it could happen as many as 3 - 4 times in a row and it would happen when the car was stationery, parked or driving........ it lasted for about 2 weeks until i changed over keys..........
okay, I will try the other key.

But are you able to open your boot using the boot release on the boot itself? Mine often does not work, OR it allows me to open it once, then if I close it I wont let me open it again! WTF, and then i have to use the key fob.

Imaz

Old 31-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took my boot apart today and got to the micro switch. Damn this is so tiny and really should not be used in this application. All I have to say to Ford, it was a bloody poor design if they had used their head, the microswitch is too sensitive for this application and the conditions its suppose to withstand(ie rain).

Mine did not appear damaged in anyway nor did it look like it corrode so I reassembled everything. Its just a senstive switch and at certain angles, it wont work etc. The overall switch is 1/5 the size of a 5cent coin, so go figure.

If it shits me too much, I will cut the wire to it and just use the keyfob for opening.

Imaz