The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default QLD rolls out number plate recognition cameras

On the news tonight...

Quote:
Police have begun using technology to target unregistered cars and unlicensed drivers, who are three times more likely to be involved in road accidents.

Queensland police's first automatic number plate recognition unit was unveiled today by police minister Neil Roberts and Acting Commissioner Ian Stewart.

Vehicles featuring monitoring cameras were located on the corner of Alice and George streets.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Police officers use the number plate recognition equipment.

Police officers use the number plate recognition equipment. Photo: Daniel Nancarrow

The cameras read number plates and check them against a database of unregistered vehicles or vehicles linked to drivers who have lost their license.

It then provides a warning to the operating officers who contact a unit ahead to pull the car over.

Minister Roberts said the technology can be used to read the number plates of up to 3000 cars an hour.

According to police estimates, the technology is at least seven times quicker than a similar manual process.

The camera is the first and only operational automatic number plate recognition unit in Queensland.

Minister Roberts said the state intended to purchase another 10 to 12 units over the next year.

"This is a road safety initiative to get dangerous drivers off the road who we know through evidence are three times more likely to have a crash if they are driving an unregistered car or are unlicensed," he said.

"This is very good technology, police can already do this manually, they can check driver licences or check number plates or call in to check whether a driver is unlicensed or a vehicle is unregistered."

The technology will be used in the state's southeast over the Easter period.

Both Minister Roberts and Acting Commissioner Stewart urged motorists to take extra care during the Easter holidays and drive to the conditions.

Commissioner Stewart said motorists needed to be extra cautious on roads which may still be suffering damage from recent rainfall and flooding.

"It's up to you the drivers out there, if you drive sensibly and you drive to the rules and the conditions hopefully we won't see anymore fatals," he said.

A total of 11 people lost their lives in road accidents over the Easter school holiday period last year, with two people dying on the long weekend.

Commissioner Stewart said the 2011 road toll, currently at 69 people, seven more than the same time last year.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 15-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD rolls out number plate recognition cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by news
Commissioner Stewart said the 2011 road toll, currently at 69 people, seven more than the same time last year
Can't possibly be true. We have hidden speed cameras now, nobody should have crashed because speed can't be a factor......
Old 15-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should rephrase it?

People will crash even less now then with just speed cameras?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 15-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Police have begun using technology to target unregistered cars and unlicensed drivers, who are three times more likely to be involved in road accidents.
This statement is probably three times more likely to be wrong...
Old 15-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i call the roll out all good news

it also makes it much easier to detect stolen cars
Old 15-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Am wondering whether or not, the action of changing nr plates on motor vehicles will be reconised by this "awsome" technology. One can still have two cars, and one set of plates. lol.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
stevz
Banned

I'm all for this. They should be rolling out more of these rather than more speed cameras. People who drive unregistered/unlicenced deserve to have the book thrown at them.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I'm all for this. They should be rolling out more of these rather than more speed cameras. People who drive unregistered/unlicenced deserve to have the book thrown at them.
The cameras cannot detect unlicensed or uninsured or drunk, all they can tell is if you have not paid your rego (tax).

There is only ONE diference between registered and unregistered and it involves giving MONEY to the government.

As with everything this collection of parasites do, it is all about revenue......
Old 15-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The cameras cannot detect unlicensed or uninsured or drunk, all they can tell is if you have not paid your rego (tax).

There is only ONE diference between registered and unregistered and it involves giving MONEY to the government.

As with everything this collection of parasites do, it is all about revenue......
They can detect unlicenced drivers if the car they are driving is in their name.
Old 15-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They can detect unlicenced drivers if the car they are driving is in their name.
But can't a licenced driver be in control of the vehicle?
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 15-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
But can't a licenced driver be in control of the vehicle?
Yep, they can, but just to be on the safe side - the police will pull you over just down the road, and make sure that someone who shouldn't be driving, isn't.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 15-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's known as the trifecta: unregistered, unlicenced and uninsured (3rd part bodily inj)

they often go together so yes it will pick up lots and lots of unlicenced drivers

if you can't pay the 'taxes' to drive you shouldn't be on the road

plus as i mentioned prev it detects reported stolen cars and bikes
Old 15-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Am wondering whether or not, the action of changing nr plates on motor vehicles will be reconised by this "awsome" technology. One can still have two cars, and one set of plates. lol.
Hmm, good question. If one has two identical cars and the same plates on both, how can this be caught out? Never seen VIN number being checked on a routine traffic stop. Last time I registered a car, they didnt even come out to sight the car to see if it existed.. just handed them the $$$ and they said off you go .
Old 15-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Hmm, good question. If one has two identical cars and the same plates on both, how can this be caught out? Never seen VIN number being checked on a routine traffic stop. Last time I registered a car, they didnt even come out to sight the car to see if it existed.. just handed them the $$$ and they said off you go .
The same thing happened with me when I registered my brother's car, and got fresh rego on my XR8......
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 15-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Didn't think that one through did you?

The MAJORITY of my cars (and most of my friends' cars) are not registered in the name of a licensed driver.......
Old 15-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well. I prefer this over another speed camera.

At least the people caught are knowingly doing something wrong, and not someone who has accidentally slipped to 10km/h over the limit without realizing.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Oh well. I prefer this over another speed camera.

At least the people caught are knowingly doing something wrong, and not someone who has accidentally slipped to 10km/h over the limit without realizing.
Yeh the guy whose rego renewal was lost in the mail and is 2 days overdue is a major criminal.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
stevz
Banned

Quote:

Didn't think that one through did you?

The MAJORITY of my cars (and most of my friends' cars) are not registered in the name of a licensed driver.......
That may be so, but they will still catch plenty who would have otherwise slipped through, and that can only be a good thing.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #19
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Yeh the guy whose rego renewal was lost in the mail and is 2 days overdue is a major criminal.
Oh my god - you get so much notice for rego renewal up here it's not funny...you can even pay it late without having to get a new roadworthy done.

You are aware this is never going to happen aren't you?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 16-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How often would this happen? Even if it did most people would call up and asks whats going on with the paper work before thier rego has expired.
Then surely a temporary solution will be set up until its all fixed up correctly.
Old 16-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm all for this one too. Who says the copper won't let you off with a warning if you are a couple of days late although he shouldn't because the car is uninsured as well as out of rego. This effects others as well if there is an accident. We used to have the court notices in our local paper and plenty of them who were pulled over for even minor offences got the trifecta. As for lost in the mail,it's renewed every year theres a sticker on your car to remind you and it's your responsibility.
Question, in any state is it illegal or will the owner of a car be in any way held responsible if an accident occurs whilst his/her car is in the hands of an unlicenced driver? I can be held liable if I loan my boat to an unlicenced driver.
Old 16-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #22
fmc351
let it burn

Unreg costs everyone. If there is an accident involving an unregistered car, the injured still can get compensation (a good thing too). However, the fees Suncorp or Allianz or whoever you pay the 3rd party too, has built into it an amount to cover the nominal defendant. Nominal defendant being the uninsured, or unknown driver of an at fault vehicle.

Suncorp et al dont absorb the costs of that, we do. How much cost that adds to the cost of rego (insurance), I have no idea.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Checking rego plates details has been around for a thousand years
People i knew years ago thought plates of a regoed holden were fine on an unregoed ford
They got caught
Then ya have the insurance problem
1 day /2 day or a week over rego ,its unregoed end of story

Theres a sticker on your car somewhere that tells you what day and month your rego is due
IF ya dont get the relevant paper work to renue rego
Its generally noone elses problem
Even states on rego renewal
"The car will be unregistered on XXX day"
We dont need to be rocket scientists,its not that hard

Its just the same as SPERS taking your licence of you for unpaid fines
You drive without a licence its your fault
Old 16-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
On the news tonight...
Been in use for years and often mistaken , if one of these gets you fight it , I have installed quite a few in shopping centres and are not to be trusted
Old 16-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #25
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know this a Qld subject thread, but WA don't have rego labels anymore - saves them a fortune so they can buy more cameras!
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
Old 16-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Been in use for years and often mistaken , if one of these gets you fight it , I have installed quite a few in shopping centres and are not to be trusted
But when the police have it in their cars they stop you and check your details. It's not as if its a speed camera where they just send a letter in the mail. NSW have had these cameras for a few years. Firstly it was a roadside setup where they had the camera and a car further down the street. Then it became a mobile operation and thats no different to a police just pulling you up to check your details only now they have a more valid reason. Yes sure there will be some instances where the owner will be innocent but my guess is there will be more guilty parties. When the police pull you up your rego will have expired simple.
Old 16-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
How often would this happen? Even if it did most people would call up and asks whats going on with the paper work before thier rego has expired.
Then surely a temporary solution will be set up until its all fixed up correctly.
To me several times over the years on both bikes and cars. My father went a whole year without rego until one day he noticed his sticker was the wrong colour.

Most people do not spend every second thinking about their car and/or have lots of cars due at different times.

Without looking when is your drivers license due, your rates notice (or parents rates notice), your passport, and last of all the exact day your rego runs out (and the rego of your parents cars)?

The point I was making is that being late paying a tax is the only crime in Australia considered to be worse by the government than murder.

The sticker is such a good reminder, especially when it is attached to the broken windscreen you had replaced months before.

And of course our SPERS system, tax bullies. Have a fight with the council over something stupid and lose your drivers license UNTIL YOU PAY YOUR TAX.

Of course if you want to complain about the unfair fine you can't because in QLD it is now ILLEGAL to contact an elected official directly, that is you are not allowed to ring your local councellor, and the public vegetables do not care.

Last edited by flappist; 16-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 16-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Oh my god - you get so much notice for rego renewal up here it's not funny...you can even pay it late without having to get a new roadworthy done.

You are aware this is never going to happen aren't you?
If you pay it late then the period between when it ran out and when you pay it IT IS UNREGISTERED and if it runs out on Sunday and you get pulled over on Monday going down to pay it you are driving and unregistered vehicle.

This is a huge crime and will cost you a lot of money and maybe your license.

If, on the Friday before you were pulled up on your way to a tyre shop to replace your totally bald tyres, they would be just a warning......

Sezzy, not everyone lives in a city.....
Old 16-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACT have used these for sometime. You would be surprised how many people they bust for unregistered at the least. You can tell by many cars with plates removed in the aftermath on the side of the road

Sure it can not determine if an unlicenced driver is driving the car initially but proper police checks can after they have been pulled over.
Old 16-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without looking I know my cars rego is due on about the 11th Feb same as my insurance. I drive my mums car occasionally and I know her rego is due on about the 8th Dec.
My license expires on the 12th December 2015.

Now that I think about it, I remember the work cars rego expires on 1st November

I don't find it hard to remember those dates. I don't think about it everyday, but I do remember the dates if I have to.

Simply if you cannot remember your rego expiry, look at the sticker every few weeks or months when you get in your car. It only takes a split second as you are walking past.

Still I don't think it should be a big deal if you pay late.... but it is. That's the way it works and it is not that hard to avoid paying late.
Closed Thread