Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Angry Electric shavers

Right, I've got a Braun 4615 and I've had a gutful of it. The rechargeable batteries are obviously shot as I have to plug it in 3 times just to shave my whole face (sans beard). In addition, it doesn't run on mains power, so if the battery is flat, too bad (even with the cord plugged in. The in-build clippers don't seem to have the grunt to cut through my wiry whiskers which leads to some painful hair pulling.

So I'm looking for a new shaver. It must be able to run on on mains power and batteries, and it must have in-built clippers.

What do you use? More to the point, what would you recommend?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: Electric shavers

Have you tried the shaver shop?

www.shavershop.com.au if I remember correctly, they used to have specs, etc on them...not sure now though.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Interesting...they have a sale on now as well.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 18-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I would recommend the Philishave.

I have a Braun 5000 series that I bought just over a year ago for over 120 bucks. It still works but recently I bought a 2 head travel Philishave and it cuts cleaner and smoother than the Braun. Here's the kicker.... the Phlishave was 30 bucks!!

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Another for philishaves. I havent found any electric shaver to be brilliant though, but the philishaves work where the microfoils etc and a braun similar to the rotary head types just seem to tug and brush my hair, not cut it. Im about to upgrade to one of the new spacey looking philishaves so heres hoping they are as good o better than the one Ive got now.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had used razors for over 20 years, but had got sick of the ridiculous prices of them.

I got one of these http://www.shavershop.com.au/product...s-2/7000series from the shaver shop and love it.

Works great,has a trimmer and will work on mains power as well as batteries.

The batteries last at least a week shaving every day.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always used electric shavers and after a few Phillips units where parts were hard to get, got the dirts with expensive Brauns, particularly price for new foils.
Went with a rotary (Phillips style) Remington a few years back as a bit of a stop gap and its been great, never let me down or needed parts. Battery starting to go but still holds a charge for 3-4 days.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
scorpio39

After trying most of them I found the Phillips rotary are the best !!!
scorpio39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Phillishave Rotary just don't get their cheaper models it's worth paying extra for the more expensive ones with the extra blades in the rotarty heads and models that can be cleaned with water.
Old 19-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

i use the philishave arcitec.....cuts ok....good battery life....easily cleaned. Doesn't cut as good as a good razor... but as far as electric shavers go, its the best i've used and i've tried em all.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I've never had a good shave from an electric. I only use blades.
Old 19-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

im considering an electric for ~200 bucks... but i want it to be good, close cutting and hassle free..

this one looks good to me

http://www.shavershop.com.au/product...2/wetdryshaver

currently 200 bucks off down to 279 at shavershop.. but i bet i can find it cheaper.
Old 19-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
weairy
Piston Broke

Philishave all the way. Cheapest, nastiest, BEST razor I've ever come across
Old 19-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

at 42 , now , i have only had one electric shaver to see what all the fuss was about , i shave 2 times a week , so it is useless to me , unless i was to sahev atleast every 2 days . in any chance it takes just as long as a razor , and doesnt shave as well .
IN FACT NOT JOKING HERE . try a cheap womens razor , no joking , they are better .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have a collection of Philips Philishavers in my bathroom reflecting 45 years of my shaving history.

I started with a Philishave HP 1109 (mains powered), then a HP 1118 (mains powered with adjustable depth and trimmer), then a HS 925 (rechargeable, adjustable plus trimmer) then a 5812 (rinsable) then the current Speed XL (with cleaning/charging station). The only non-performer in the Philishavers was the cheapie 5812 that I bought to replace the HS 925. The HS 925 was a great shaver but cleaning and lubricating it got a bit tedious. The 5812 was washable but really couldn't give me shave as close and clean as the 925.
Along the way, in addition to various cut-throat razors, Gillette and Schick safety razors I also have tried a several other electrics. A few I remember: National/Panasonic Wet/Dry was good idea in terms of being a pioneer in the water poof game but totally useless at actually shaving. A Remington Sports (Yellow Plastic waterproof) was OK at shaving but died after 12 months.

My current Speed XL:

does an excellent job but the cleaning station

is really a bit of a gimmick. You need a supply of this relatively expensive cleaning fluid

each month and if you rinse the shaver clean each morning the water that drains off into the cleaning/charging station makes it over flow and mess up your bench-top.

So I can recommend the Speed XL line but forget the optional cleaning charging stations.
Old 19-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

A lot of votes for Philishave. Are Remington still in the business?

Old 19-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I run with a Braun 8995.

Awesome bit of kit. It was the top of the line model a couple of years back & got it at virtually half price on sale. I originally bought the model down a few weeks before (its virtually the same shaver minus the LCD readout) but, decided I wanted the LCD readout that tells me battery life, how long my last shave was, how many shaves I have had, when the intensive clean is needed, & keeps track of when the foil needs replacing. So I bought that one, took the head off & gave my first one to my dad for christmas!

It has its own cleaning station & doesnt need charge that often. Trimmer, pivot or fixed head positions, awesome bit of kit. Runs off mains as well. For me, I always go for top of the line stuff. Its really the first shaver I bought. I thought "If I want a good shaver, Im going to splash out & get one that has all the trimmings (pardon the pun)" Im shaving my face with it, its peronal. I want the best.

My advice is, dont go for run of the mill stuff. Spend the extra & get one that shaver you want, not just "minimalist".

P.S. Shaver shop is pretty darn good. Thats where I bought both of them plus always buy the cleaner refills.

P.P.S The previous shaver was a Braun (its not like im brand loyal, in this sense, but its just the way it panned out. I dont like the phillips shavers) a $15 cheapie that lasted 6 years. Both my dads & mine. The only thing was since they were virtually throw aways, noone kept spare foils for them. I went to several shaver shops & they all said the same thing:

"Oh yeah, that shaver. Its suprising they last so long. They were only a cheap razor, but they lasted & lasted & I get someone once a month coming in looking for a new foil, but they went out of production ages ago. Dont know why. They are a really good shaver. Sorry"
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 19-06-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Are Remington still in the business?
Yes now owned by the Rayovac Battery Company see http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/shaver1.htm and http://www.remingtonproducts.com/ Remington also won the now famous copyright battle with Philips headed rotary shaver. See http://www.simons-law.com/library/pdf/e/332.pdf
Old 19-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Hmm http://pub24.bravenet.com/minipoll/r...229037&voted=1 it seems Philishave lovers are not alone.
Old 19-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Good shaver site: http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/
Old 19-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

just brought one of them new phillips 3d electric shavers (cordless). best money i have spent on an electric shaver ever! got it from ebay for $240 brand new from overseas (came with aussie adaptor for the charging station). Saw the same shaver at the shops for $500+

God knows why we pay so much more for it here in australia
Old 20-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

I have spent several years climbing the electric ladder and have finally found the higher cost philips work the best for me and generally shaver shop is best for price and service.
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I’m a razor man…

Have an electric shaver sitting in my bathroom…think it’s a Philips. Didn’t like it one bit.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Nothing beats old school !
Old 20-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #25
jcxr
Tribal Elder

^^^^^^ and thats just for his back.....
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #26
TZENU
XY Driv3r

JC the mrs generally uses my 4 stroke mower while i lay flat on my stomach!!!
Old 20-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I've never had a good shave from an electric. I only use blades.
Same..I used electric for a while but it just gave me rashes and itched like a mofo.

Simple shaver works best for me.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
JC the mrs generally uses my 4 stroke mower while i lay flat on my stomach!!!
Started reading that and thought....ohhh god.

But then it turned out to be about you haha

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #29
Barnaby

Just a bit of a heads up for old Braun owners. I had an old one from the late 90s, did a decade of great use. Updated to a new one in 2000 - cr@p! They have changed the cutter head and its no where near as good as the old one. Some of my friends and family members did the same and found the same issues. Sounds like I need to try a Philips...
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Started reading that and thought....ohhh god.

But then it turned out to be about you haha

Yeah, I probably could have worded that a bit better!