Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default R U Okay Day - 15th September

R U Okay Day is happening on Thursday 15th September.

Such a simple idea and such an effective one.

RUOK Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK website
Thursday 15 September, 2011 is R U OK?Day. It’s a national day of action which aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones.

On that day we want everyone across the country, from all backgrounds and walks of life, to ask family, friends and colleagues: "Are you OK?".

Staying connected with others is crucial to our general health and wellbeing. Feeling isolated or hopeless can contribute to depression and other mental illnesses, which can ultimately result in suicide. Regular, meaningful conversations can protect those we know and love.

It's so simple. In the time it takes to have a coffee, you can start a conversation that could change a life.
Now I will be the first to admit, that when this first came about in 2009, I thought it was some sort of fad, something that was a quirky thing and that it would fade away into the background after awhile. I mean seriously? asking someone you talk to - Are they okay?

This has become something that I am behind 100%. I have lost a couple of very dear friends to suicide and I know so many friends that suffer from depression. I try and make a few minutes in my day - Everyday - to ask people how they are. It doesn't take long and asking how someone is, could actually uncover an issue they were not happy to bring up themselves or could assist them in some way.

Please support this day and if you know anyone who is suffering from Depression please have them contact Beyond Blue

Cheers
Col