Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Thinking of a career change: anydone been/is a courier?

Put simply, I'm over my public service job. Dealing with the argumentative BS and abuse from "customers" has done my head in to the point of having anxiety attacks, so I'm looking for either a reclassification or a new career path, if only for a little while.

I enjoy driving, and courier work has attracted my interest. I know next to nothing about the industry, the conditions, pay, hours expected or whatever, so here I am turning to the great knowledge base to find out a bit more. Have you done it or are you a courier at the moment? Any good or give it a miss? Anything in particular I should know? I'm located in metro Perth if that helps.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thinking of a career change: anydone been/is a courier?

can't help much, but..

father in law was looking into it a little while ago. he went out with the guy who's business he was looking to buy. the seller was quoting how much income he makes, etc. father in law took his books to the accountant and the income was no where near what he was told.. he didn't buy the business
Old 17-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

You're a public servant and having health issues with your current position.

Can I suggest a trip to the docs and a subsequent visit to HR to discuss work related problems. You will probably find that they will do their level best to look after you.
Old 17-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
xrystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Put simply, I'm over my public service job. Dealing with the argumentative BS and abuse from "customers" has done my head in to the point of having anxiety attacks, so I'm looking for either a reclassification or a new career path, if only for a little while.

I enjoy driving, and courier work has attracted my interest. I know next to nothing about the industry, the conditions, pay, hours expected or whatever, so here I am turning to the great knowledge base to find out a bit more. Have you done it or are you a courier at the moment? Any good or give it a miss? Anything in particular I should know? I'm located in metro Perth if that helps.
I do delivery work (some may call it a courier position) that is a set defined area in which I work for a major international company.
Most of the major transport companies now use agents (owner drivers) to do all of their courier work , this includes Toll express , TNT , AAE & Startrek , Allied , Fastway is franchise as is Couriers Please - major internationals UPS & DHL are just starting using contract drivers to do their runs , Fedex use company drivers:
My experience (6 years) has been split between "set runs" and "ad hock courier work" - ad hock is a point to point courier job and there are many companies that supply owner drivers with constant work - Direct couriers , Bonds express , Kings - look in the yellow pages for more.
You will need to purchase a Van - the best option is a 2 tonne with barn rear doors as this gives you the capacity to carry pallets and gets you more good paying work .
I'm on the other side of the country but the work is the same everywhere - The Mercedes Sprinter and VW Crafter are probably the pick of the Vans - the Iveco and Transit are at the bottom of the list , Toyota don't do barn doors , Fiat has been advertising good deals on their Vans and Renaults are also out there at reasonable prices , Renault and Fiat are front wheel drive which is a minus to many people and the Ford Transit is just bloody awfull but the engine has good torque - the company that I contract to has up till now used the Transit but are waiting on delivery of a new fleet of Sprinters .

One doesn't need much inteligence to be a courier driver , however the smarter ones get the better jobs .
The going rate here in Brisbane is between $22-$24 per hour for a one tonner (hourly hire) and $26-$30 for a 2 tonner (hourly hire)
Set run $$ are what you can negotiate with the Courier company including minimum hours for the set run = some days the run may take 9 hours and other days you are finished in 5 hours but you still get paid for 9 hours.

Can contact me if you want to know more as it is a bit of a minefield out there .
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Whiskeyonesix

Metro Perth.......

Skippers are always looking for people, their light parcel drivers get about $1500 a week - thats long hours though.

CTi Supercouriers are looking as well. We pay them about $45-$85 per drop - that could be a small carton to just around the corner to 200KGof steel from Malaga down to Rockingham. I'm not sure how much of that money gets through to the driver though.
I deal with these guys all the time - can find out more info if you like.

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl
The Mercedes Sprinter and VW Crafter are probably the pick of the Vans -
Ambulance Victoria is constantly upgrading their fleet and they've been getting rid of the last of the older shape Sprinters with around 260,000km on the clock for about $15,000, but they've been serviced every 5000km, might be worth a look-in if you are interested in this type of work. I'm not too sure about the WA Ambulance service.

Also having driven brand new Sprinters and the older model end of life ones for Ambulance Victoria, I reckon the older model ones drive better, throttle response on them is much better but less creatue comforts and more "van like" than the new ones, if that makes any sense.

GeckoGT will be one to speak to on the forums as well as no doubt he's had plenty of experience with Sprinters being a paramedic.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Thanks for the advice guys. Knowing full well there is more to anything that meets the eye, I'm certainly looking at this one with an open mind to any pitfalls and advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123

Can I suggest a trip to the docs and a subsequent visit to HR to discuss work related problems. You will probably find that they will do their level best to look after you.
I'm seeing my GP tomorrow to get a repeat prescription of Serepax to help with the anxiety attacks, and I will hopefully by monday have a letter from my psychologist outlining the medical condition and related depression that I will do with as you suggest and take to HR, because I have been raising this with my supervisor and line manager for the past few weeks and it just seems like they forget about it.

I should also make it clear that I'm not hell bent on being a courier, it's just one of a few options I'm considering at the moment.

Also, in terms of vehicles, would a 1 tonne Falcon ute on LPG be any good? I've seen a few drivers with them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 18-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Was a medical courier, paid peanuts but easy work. Car was supplied as was uniform. The easiest way to get into it is to know someone already doing it. I was promoted to management and I would receive at least a resume a day.

Unfortunately I have been made redundant and am out of work at the moment. Irony being if I was still a courier I'd still have a job.
Old 18-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
seduced_xr
BF XR6

hey mate. hopefully i can help out here

i was working in hospitality for a year and a half (bottle shops, bars etc) and i HATED it.. one night we had an incident where i feared for my life, i woke up the next morning to go to work and just thought WHY.. i rang up and quit..

like yourself i enjoy driving. i would be on car cruises atleast 4 days a week and be doing about 2 000km a week in my BA XR6.

i got on seek and looked and looked at driver jobs. ive been a delivery driver for repco for 4 months now and i love every minute of it. love being out on the roads, i deal with TRADE customers only who are all nice friendly people. u drop whats on their invoice off, get a signature jump back in your car and your away again. all day!

im also in perth.

go for it!
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123

This is sound advice, and certainly something to address
Theres no way in this unstable economic time id even consider trading a public service job for an insecure courier job

Look at the hourly rate mentioned a few above,people get more than that sitting behind a desk
Now from the figures above deduct the lease/payments for a new or near new 2nd hand rig,van or ute
Look at the running costs, service costs, no car no pay

Not sure how it is nowadays, but years ago , it was a dog eat dog industry, then ya look at say the couriers that come to me
Im 100Ks outta brissie CBD and its under $20 for courier service
Ya couldnt run a ride on out and back for $20 ,let alone a van or ute
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hi Road Warrior!

I am a public servant and I used to be a courier driver.

I will say this to you: The public service sucks. Customers suck, politics suck, the endless reversed decisions suck.
Courier driving is awesome. It's like going on GTA missions every day, except you need to abide by laws and such. So much fun, you answer to no-one, you get to hoon about at your own leisure almost.

Why am I in the public service then when its so terrible and courier driving is so cool?

Two reasons.

Pay.
Career Opportunities.

Courier driver pay is abysmal. Almost offensive for an honest day's work. No super, no holidays, no annual leave, no flex time, no nothing. Work a 40 hour week and after expenses you might take home 40k before tax. Insulting money if you ask me.

Career opportunities? Nil. In the public service, the sky's the limit, provided you want to forgo common sense and rationality, that is.
Old 18-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
HenryFordJr

I was speaking to a courier driver yesterday who is an owner/operator. He was complaining about how bad the money was and actually asked me for a job.

He said he works 12+ hours everyday and earns great money, but his problem was vehicle costs (fuel, maintenance, tolls etc.)

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Also, in terms of vehicles, would a 1 tonne Falcon ute on LPG be any good? I've seen a few drivers with them.
I personally wouldn't. Three reasons: you can get utes that are better on gas, you can get utes that have a greater payload and you can get utes that have bigger trays. I had a 04 Triton 2.4 5-speed on gas. It was okay - 1.6T payload (stiffer/more rear leaves), big tray allowing for 2 pallets, averaged 15L/100klms as opposed to a gas falcon's 20L.
Old 18-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you get one go at life.....

if you're not happy, find happiness, going through the same thing myself presently.
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

a few things...

mr hardware is right if your just a street driver. but if you look, it's a mini gold mine...

i have a friend who works at TNT, he does all the shifts where people are on holidays so every 2-3 weeks his route changes, for that he gets a premium rate, goes home with Plenty, way over 40k a year, much closer to 65-70k. he is empliyed by them though, not a subcontractor.

i am a subbie here in adelaide, you can earn up to 2k a week if your willing to push yourself and hunt for the right "runs"

no super/holidays/etc etc etc etc however:-

owner operator- EVERYTHING IS TAX DEDUCTIBLE - tyres, every last dollar of petrol, paying your own super etc etc etc. need a tool for your car? no you don't you needed it to fix your van geddit? just got to be good with your cash thats all.

as an owner operator you need to bust your chops and nag till they give you whats called a permanent run - ie the company you work for has a contract with a large business. thats where the money is.

second thing. find out if they have emergency runs. ie- some companys have contracts with airports/ hospitals etc etc..

airport loses bags and has to find them and send them out, the bags could go anywhere, adelaide, wirrina cove, victor harbour etc etc. a run from the airport to victor harbour for just one bag could fetch you between $100-150 depending on the time you take it. might not sound like much till they tell you you have a bag to drop off at aldinga, one at victor and one at encounter bay, each one pays separately from the airport to it's destination.... four hours work one night could net you $500......

JUST REMEMBER. as a subbie, get yourself a half decent van..... with aircon. and cruise. you will live in the thing.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I work part time courier driving around Sydney ... at least it is part time ... as if you do it full time ... the expenses are the killer though for maintenance/tolls.

Yes ... everything you spend is tax deductible ... but only 10% though ... as you need to be registered for GST ... and you need and ABN number as well.

I couldn't afford to live as a full time courier ... my father-in-law does it full time ... and seeing the expenses over what you get paid ... part time for me only. It helps that I do shiftwork.

I work out of my ute ... and it does me fine ... if i was going to be doing it full time though ... I'd be going trayback for sure .... and sticking with auto (especially in Sydney).

Be wary with the taller 2T vans ... some of the guys here in Sydney can't get into the underbuilding loading docks due to height restrictions. Another thing to think about.

It's not all smooth sailing though ... there's days that are going to be crap as well .. but you just deal with it. For me though it's a 2nd job that I don't get taxed much on (unlike a 2nd PAYE) ... I claim all my mechanical expenses on my vehicle (along with LPG and tolls ... especially as nearly all roads in Sydney are tolled) ... it works well with my other job ... and a bit of extra cash (about $250/day for me ... and I work 2-3 days a week.

If you can find a place that does outer-metro country work ... it's even better a a bit of a sweetener ... have had the odd jobs around Country NSW and interstate ... and you can earn up to about $1000 a day ... depending on where they send you.

A side note ... a for ad-hoc courier work ... the driver gets about 60% of what the company charges their customers.

It was hard for me to find a courier company though that would accept a part time driver ... but my father-in-law has connections and I have got myself into a decent medium sized company that pays well for me and I get good work too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Looks like the courier job is a no go and like Hardware man says, the PS may be crap as well but at least the pay is better and there are some career options.

I went to see my HR Manager at work yesterday about my problems and he has since collared my supervisor and they are going to work out an alternative work plan for me until such time as I get better

Old 20-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
It's not all smooth sailing though ... there's days that are going to be crap as well .. but you just deal with it..
Damn right, as this safety induction video shows. There are many things that can go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFDEDJlQS3g
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
z80
Banned

In case you decide to pursue the courier work....

Losing demerit points on your licence will hurt a lot and you'll loose them more often simply cause you are on the road all the time.

So...factor in plenty of 3 month holidays.....

also...make sure the vehicle you choose does not pay the truck rate when going through toll roads.

that will really put a dent in your pay packet....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I went to see my HR Manager at work yesterday about my problems and he has since collared my supervisor and they are going to work out an alternative work plan for me until such time as I get better
Good news.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Losing demerit points on your licence will hurt a lot and you'll loose them more often simply cause you are on the road all the time.

Never had this issue at all.
If that's an issue ... it's best not to pursue that line of work at all.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
Damn right, as this safety induction video shows. There are many things that can go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFDEDJlQS3g
Hahahahahaha .... there was one company that I may have worked for that was kinda like this ... in a way.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #23
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

also...make sure the vehicle you choose does not pay the truck rate when going through toll roads.

that will really put a dent in your pay packet....

I average 30 to 40000kms a year in my work vehicle alone, and have never had a speeding ticket in it.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post