Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default What happens when a Redneck wins Lamborghini

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/839...-crashes-prize

It was a case of luck gone wrong for a US man who won a Lamborghini only to crash it just six hours after taking it home.

David Dopp won a 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640, worth over $347,000, on November 12 at LaVell Stadium in Santaquin, Utah, in a competition run by Maverik petrol stations.

He received his 640 horse powered prize, on December 17, local news service ABC4 reports. He took the car for a spin straight away, driving friends and family around his home until noise complaints forced him to head to the outskirts of Santaquin.

But the fun ended when he lost control on a corner.

"We were coming up a hill and going down a corner and we hit a patch of black ice," he said.

The vehicle spun backwards and hit a fence post.

Mr Dopp insured his car for six months for $3,470 but the down payment for the repairs is a hefty $991.

He plans to sell the vehicle once it is repaired and use the money to pay off bills and buy his wife a new car.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Re: What happens when a Redneck wins Lamborghini

I hope the fence post was okay.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

its insured... so wgaf.
had some fun, will come out well infront in the end.

good on him.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Not sure what redneck has to do with it?
How many others have had super/hyper cars and crashed them?
At least he had it insured and is going to have it fixed.
He's also selling it pay bills which is a good thing.

Kind of a non event really.
Old 22-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Kryton

Also dont see how he is a redneck either.
In the U.S, if you win a prize such as a car, you have to pay all State Taxes and any other Duty on it BEFORE you can claim the prize.
It isnt the same as here where everything is paid for and you get handed a set of keys.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
the OP is right, he was a redneck. Immediately after winning he goes and drives it stupidly before he knows the car?

Years ago I was at a BBQ on christmas day when someone had a new clubsport. They thought it was fun to let everyone drive it.

You see one guy come running towards the house from up the street in a panic, he had smacked it (clubsport) into someones fence in their front yard. Why? because they were being rednecks.
Maybe you should Google the term Redneck and see what it really means.
I guess, going by your theory, your a redneck too - because you dont know the meaning of the word.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
raptorv8
Banned

Dont look like a redneck to me, says he hit black ice no mention of driving like an idiot.. Not sure what hulk and the op are on about.
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
F6T
Has V8 envy

Regardless, I don't think he will have many people lining up to purchase the car from him with a history like this splashed about the internet.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
hardlynormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Regardless, I don't think he will have many people lining up to purchase the car from him with a history like this splashed about the internet.
If he's realistic with his price i don't see why not?
Old 22-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
cham
Closet Hoon

Redneck is a historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor, uneducated white farmers, especially from the southern United States.[1][2] It is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Alabama), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]
In recent decades, the term has expanded its meaning to refer to bigoted, loutish reactionaries who are opposed to modern ways,[7] and has often been used to attack Southern conservatives and racists.[8] At the same time, some Southern whites have reclaimed the word, using it with pride and defiance as a self-identifier.[9]

I don't necessarily disagree with using the term Redneck for this turkey. Poor, undeducated, Southern United States. Anyone else would give a right arm to own a Lambo and this bloke smashes it straight up. Don't care if it was black ice he should have taken note of the conditions and driven acccordingly (especially in a car with that much power).

Who will want to buy it now with that exposure in the media.....

What a goose.

NOW: 2011 HSV R8 Clubsport with Walkinshaw Exhaust, Suspension and 20" Alloys.....

Last edited by flappist; 22-12-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: do not circumvent the swear filter it will bite you
cham is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done the exact same thing in my F-150. You don't have to be driving like an idiot to have that happen. The winters are much worse around here.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is an example of what can happen when someone gets to drive a vehicle that requires far more than their personal ability to control.

Dave Dopp is a truck driver so has many years of experience driving but appears to have run out of skill when faced with an emergency in a very high powered vehicle. Anyone can drive anything as long as nothing goes wrong.

This situation is not uncommon on this forum with quite a number of members (not only P platers) owning cars that are WAY above their ability to control in any situation other than on an urban road in good weather or maybe a 400m straight line race track.

In the words of Harry Callahan: "A good man always knows his limitations".

So next time you get in your heavily modded performance vehicle for run just pause for a second and think "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I probably would have done the same thing. Driving in icy conditions in an unfamiliar car and a lambo at that! How great would it be to win one? ....still don't see how it makes him a redneck.

Nowhere in the story does it mention his wife's name is Branadeen!
Old 22-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlynormal
If he's realistic with his price i don't see why not?
Exactly. $3.5K repair bill on a lambo means they are just wiping a bit of bird poo off it.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I would feel a bit ripped off that it was only a 2008 model, what a crap competition

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
AcidTrip

I'm with 66FAIRLANE. The damage must be very very superficial for it only to cost $3.5k to fix. A litre of that paint would cost more than that. The guy made a mistake, hes learnt from it, and very soon he's going to own his house and make his wife very happy. In the long run he'll be much better off selling it.

Out of curiosity, how many here would actually keep a car like that if they won it? I sure as hell wouldn't. Despite the 600km I drive/ride a week, my car still says an average speed of 35km/h around Melbourne. Now my bike on the other hand ...
AcidTrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Murcie has a reputation for being a widow maker, even in the right hands. On TopGear even Clarkson found it difficult, he said that once you reach the limit you have no time to react before its spinning. Motor had an opinion piece about the Murcie, and they said even though the Murcie sold if far lesser numbers than the Gallardo there are 5 times as many of them on crashedexotics.com.

Hitting a patch of black ice in one can only really end one way, they don't have ESC.

And if all he did was 3k of damage, on a Lambo that is nothing more than a scratch.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidTrip
I'm with 66FAIRLANE. The damage must be very very superficial for it only to cost $3.5k to fix. A litre of that paint would cost more than that. The guy made a mistake, hes learnt from it, and very soon he's going to own his house and make his wife very happy. In the long run he'll be much better off selling it.

Out of curiosity, how many here would actually keep a car like that if they won it? I sure as hell wouldn't. Despite the 600km I drive/ride a week, my car still says an average speed of 35km/h around Melbourne. Now my bike on the other hand ...
The insurance and servicing costs would be astronomical, probably out of the reach of someone on an average wage.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone remember the Fosters beer competition from the late eighties where they were giving away a "Fosters blue" Lambo Countach as the main prize? The total prize value was $250,000, and you could either have the Lambo, or combinations of other things to that value like gold bullion, a VL turbo Calais plus gold bullion plus $200,000 cash, other things like that like an art union where the prize is a set value and you pick with combo you want when you win.
The guy who won was in the news not only because he won, but because he chose the VL trubo Calais plus gold plus two hundred grand cash. He was going to buy a house on the Gold Coast and bank the rest. When asked why he didn't choose the blue Countach, he said, quite reasonably, that picking what he did he now had a new car and a house paid off plus money left over, and if he had chosen the Countach, he'd have a car that, at prices of the time, would cost five grand a year to insure...keep in mind this was the late eighties!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I think the Ford GT (late model US blown 5.4) one is pretty much in the same vein (widow maker). No ESC or ABS and the one I had for a couple of days could turn its tyres at virtually any speed in the first four gears if given full noise. Have the remnants of those 315s up the shed :-)
Old 23-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Not sure what redneck has to do with it?
i was expecting a story of a Lamborghini with a chickin' coop built on the back..
Old 23-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A few members on here have done similar with their modded Fords...
I don't see the problem.. He was skilled enough to hit a fence post only...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Wasn't this te guy who tried selling it to jay Leno after he was going to have to pay 100k in tax?
Old 23-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Pop
Wasn't this te guy who tried selling it to jay Leno after he was going to have to pay 100k in tax?
That's right...in the USA you have to pay income tax on any winnings of everything, from simple scratch lottery tickets (which you are supposed to declare on your income tax) to horse races to lottery wins to even cars and stuff, totally unlike here where it's basically "Here's your car you lucky sod".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be awesome to have a car like that but realistically most would sell it as would I. I could not afford to keep it! **** happens and it's not like you wouldn't take it for a drive. I'm sure just driving it normally could be a handfull
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #26
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
So next time you get in your heavily modded performance vehicle for run just pause for a second and think "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
I'll keep that in mind next time I'm tearing up the tarmac.

I highly doubt a "redneck" would have insured his Lambo before taking it for a spin let alone forking out nearly $600/mth to keep it insured !!

And when I look at that Murcielago, I recall Mr Eastwood's reaction to a lime-green coloured Lotus Esprit in the movie "The Rookie"....

"Can you imagine defacing a work of art like this with a colour like that?...guy ought to have his *** removed."

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #27
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Also dont see how he is a redneck either.
In the U.S, if you win a prize such as a car, you have to pay all State Taxes and any other Duty on it BEFORE you can claim the prize.
It isnt the same as here where everything is paid for and you get handed a set of keys.
You are wrong there. The W.A guy who won the Brownes Milk promo Maloo Ute had to pay all onroads, taxs and fully insure the car (over 6k) before he was given the keys. They even had him come to us and get training because of his age.
Old 23-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
You are wrong there. The W.A guy who won the Brownes Milk promo Maloo Ute had to pay all onroads, taxs and fully insure the car (over 6k) before he was given the keys. They even had him come to us and get training because of his age.
The difference is that the $60k ute did not increase his taxable income for the year by $60k as it would in USA.

i.e. If he earned $40k and normally paid $10k tax he would now have to pay tax on $100,000 which is maybe $40k.

The above costs were rego and insurance, he did not have to pay any of those unless he wanted to drive it on the road which has nothing to do with the prize.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #29
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
This is an example of what can happen when someone gets to drive a vehicle that requires far more than their personal ability to control.

Dave Dopp is a truck driver so has many years of experience driving but appears to have run out of skill when faced with an emergency in a very high powered vehicle. Anyone can drive anything as long as nothing goes wrong.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Regardless of how much power your car has, you have no hope if you hit black ice, especially going around a corner. Even if your name is Fangio et al.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #30
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I probably would have done the same thing. Driving in icy conditions in an unfamiliar car and a lambo at that!
Honesty, and realistic probability too for many a driver!

Quote:
How great would it be to win one?
Reckon, I'd not have to grab Fords warning triangle, it'd have its own 'brand':-)

Quote:
....still don't see how it makes him a redneck.
Doesn't, ahhm de only redneck roun ere.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post