Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Bazilj
Starter Motor

Default Focus stops

Hi, I'm a part timer here, last visit seeking help for a rattling noise in the motor which turned out to be the water pump. Since then I've installed a new Chinese coilpac (no spark to No4 cylinder). All this relates to my son's 03 LR 1.8 which is now doing it's best to send us crazy. It stops, sometimes, will drive OK for (say) 20 or 30kms then just loses power, get off the road, motor still runs but not above a rough idle. Switch off, then restart immediately and off we go as if nothing had happened. It's at our local garage this morning, motor running to see how long it will go before it konks out, mechanic hopes it will stop and throw some codes to the analyser which is hooked up. Any suggestions welcome, VERY welcome.

Bazilj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Focus stops

Sounds like it may be loosing an engine sensor (reading)
The crank angle sensor sometimes does this but that is only a guess.
I would have expected a code in the ECM already if it has done it a few times.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Bazilj
Starter Motor

Default Re: Focus stops

Thanks marg, follow up to first post...Focus left running at 09:00, ran for just over an hour and stopped, diagnostics were hooked up but no codes thrown. Started immediately, ran a bit longer this time but same result, stop, no code, restart OK. The mechanic's parting words were "If you ever find out what it is...please let me know". We're just gonna keep on driving, surely whatever it is must fail eventually, problem is, it's scary when it dies on the freeway with a Mack truck in the rear view mirror. I'll keep you posted.
Bazilj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post