Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
jay289

Default New Electric Commodore

Have just seen an ad for ACC, will be on tommorow night.

Is it just me or is the media biased towards Holden.
Anything Holden do they are straight on it.

The ad states" the Australian built electric car, the Holden Commodore".
And recently in the Courier Mail they had a big write up on the LPG Commodore and how much power it has and little fuel it uses.
**** me, what about the ECO LPG Falcon and the new 4 cylinder one, both **** all over the Commodore in fuel usage and power.

One thing , the engine bay of the electric Commodore on the ad look empty.
So it must have a very small electric motor, I thin Holden are dreaming if they think they will power a large car like that with a **** weak electric motor.

jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Electric Commodore

Even Nine News had a special promo about the electric Commodore for tomorrow night
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its good news and Holden have really gone it alone here. Holden have been working on this for over a decade. During the 2000 olympic games the Ecommodore was used to follow the torch around Oz. The Ecommodore was a VT with a slippery look, similar to Monaro but with 4 doors. It was basically a PR stunt but also see how far it can go with all things working such as AC.
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they're going to bring the Volt along, why would they bring in an electric Commodore?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE
Its good news and Holden have really gone it alone here. Holden have been working on this for over a decade. During the 2000 olympic games the Ecommodore was used to follow the torch around Oz. The Ecommodore was a VT with a slippery look, similar to Monaro but with 4 doors. It was basically a PR stunt but also see how far it can go with all things working such as AC.
The only electric commodore program going at the moment has no involvement with Holden at all. All it is is a group of component makers got a few million dollars from the Feds and they decided to electrify a commodore. Obviously the final stage in this "go nowhere project" is to pay aca a few thousand dollars to do a feel good story on it. The component makers have as much to lose as Holden does if the Australian public doesn't get onside with the $300 million Holden want from the Feds.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see the boss of this company is Rob McEniry. If you know anything about Holden he is a former director and very well respected amonsgt the GM family. If there is merit in this program and fesible you can bet Holden will look at it closely
Old 15-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Good on them for sticking with it for so long and getting it to work. Bad on 9 for not getting on the 4cyl Falcon with Mazda 3 beating economy.
However I wish people would just forget about bloody electric cars. Start thinking of a realistic successor to petrol and diesel. Electric is just delaying the inevitable unless they can recharge them in less than 5mins like I can with my current car and have found a way of making power nationally 100% fossil fuel free.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Good on them for sticking with it for so long and getting it to work. Bad on 9 for not getting on the 4cyl Falcon with Mazda 3 beating economy.
However I wish people would just forget about bloody electric cars. Start thinking of a realistic successor to petrol and diesel. Electric is just delaying the inevitable unless they can recharge them in less than 5mins like I can with my current car and have found a way of making power nationally 100% fossil fuel free.
Best point so far...when they make an electric car that you can just hop in and drive without making sure you've charged it fully, when you can find recharging points every fifty K's or so, when you can "fill it up" in five minutes and be on your way for another five hundred kilometers before worrying about filling up again, and do that anywhere around the country, then I'll buy one...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
The only electric commodore program going at the moment has no involvement with Holden at all. All it is is a group of component makers got a few million dollars from the Feds and they decided to electrify a commodore. Obviously the final stage in this "go nowhere project" is to pay aca a few thousand dollars to do a feel good story on it. The component makers have as much to lose as Holden does if the Australian public doesn't get onside with the $300 million Holden want from the Feds.
wrong
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Mad_Pom

I believe the vehicles being spoken about are the product of E V Engineering - http://www.evengineering.com.au/

EV Engineering is a collaborative venture between leading Australian automotive suppliers, Air International, Bosch, Continental, Futuris, GE and electric car infrastructure provider, Better Place, to develop a proof of concept Australian electric vehicle.
The project goal is to demonstrate the technical viability and attractiveness to customers of a large electric vehicle. If successful the project will allow technologies to be considered for possible future mass production and will help to develop electric vehicle engineering skills and components within the Australian supplier industry.
The Australian Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund will contribute $3.55m to the project.

As stated GM (Holden) are not directly involved, but I believe have been supporting with vehicles and VE Commodore details.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Mad_Pom

Further details on the project
The Project Description

Fully-electric Large Passenger demonstration vehicles

Members of the consortium delivering the project include the electric vehicle charge network operator Better Place, major automotive component suppliers Bosch, Continental, Air International and Futuris, with support for the project from CSIRO. The project will build 7 fully-electric vehicles by June 2012 based on the locally manufactured Holden Commodore as proof-of-concept, to demonstrate the technical viability and attractiveness to customers of a large EV. If successful the project will allow technologies to be considered for possible future mass production.
The Australian Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund will contribute $3.55m to the project.
Project Goals include:
(1) Deliver zero emissions motoring when powered by renewable electricity and greater than 30% reduction in CO2 emissions when powered on grid average electricity.
(2) Deliver the same high standards of safety and feature available in this class of vehicle while delivering comparable performance.
(3) Be designed for a manufacturing cost equivalent to top selling petrol vehicles in this class, without battery. (Batteries will be included as part of monthly electric vehicle charge network subscriptions, replacing petrol costs.)
(4) Be capable of accessing both EV charge spots and ‘battery switch’ stations for unlimited range extension. Additionally, the project will help to develop electric vehicle engineering skills and components within the Australian supplier industry for potential export to car makers globally, with opportunities including battery pack design and thermal management systems.
Additionally, the project will help to develop electric vehicle engineering skills and components within the Australian supplier industry for potential export to car makers globally, with opportunities including battery pack design and thermal management systems.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Why does it have to be a VE. I thought Futuris and Air International were Ford's suppliers. Those names look familiar when you strip down a Falcon to bits and pieces.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
A-TEK

is that a hint at the VF rear in that pic?
A-TEK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-TEK
is that a hint at the VF rear in that pic?
looks more like the cruze.

holden will sell rolling chassis to anyone for a price and a waiver not to be registered.
Old 16-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #15
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
wrong
holy crap is that thing front wheel drive?

i can hear the bogans crying themselves to sleep already!

"BUT IT DOESNT DO DOUGHIES PROPERLY BRUSS!"

lol

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

I reckon good on Holden for giving it a go, its a good way to secure your future that little bit longer.
Old 16-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I'd rather see funds put into Ethanol/Hydrogen research, so we can keep our IC powerplants...and not rely on coal powerstaions to power our cars.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little plagiarism here..."when you're on a good thing, stick to it. When you find something better, switch to it!" Just a matter of which is better for you and everyone else. Hey Nikked, how about more nuclear research to build safer nuclear power stations?
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a diesel-electric like our train locomotives? Of course, an engine a little smaller than the 140ltr turbocharged two-stroke diesel in our locos would be needed...

Something like a small super-efficient three cylinder turbo diesel, humming away in it's most efficient rev range all the time (not on and off, no batteries needed to keep the weight down), feeding a generator, powering traction motors in all four wheels through a generator control device...seems a lot simpler than a lot of the hybrids and petrol/electric cars out there.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
How about a diesel-electric like our train locomotives? Of course, an engine a little smaller than the 140ltr turbocharged two-stroke diesel in our locos would be needed...

Something like a small super-efficient three cylinder turbo diesel, humming away in it's most efficient rev range all the time (not on and off, no batteries needed to keep the weight down), feeding a generator, powering traction motors in all four wheels through a generator control device...seems a lot simpler than a lot of the hybrids and petrol/electric cars out there.
Sounds good .. but still has a fossil-fuel burning engine, so it's obviously the work of the devil and burning holes in the ozone, killing baby seals, oppressing minority groups, etc, etc ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Didnt they do a EV Commy during VT, it had a slightly different c pilliar IIRC....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Why does it have to be a VE. I thought Futuris and Air International were Ford's suppliers. Those names look familiar when you strip down a Falcon to bits and pieces.
They make parts for all Australian made cars, altho mostly for Holden and Ford (seats, door trims, carpets etc etc). The only specifics of the project would have been that it had to be an australian made car. I dont think there had to be any potential in it to get the money, and i dont think it has discovered any new technologies. Its neither innovative or practical, after all there are certain companies in australia that can already take petrol powered cars and turn them into electric vehicles for under $20,000 (and they have been doing it for years).
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia

I work for Futuris and I can tell you Futuris supplies Ford and Holden.

Holden have donated the vehicles to the project and are part of all the suppliers that make up EV Engineering.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

you were bagging the very same technology yesterday..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11359291
Old 16-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Didnt they do a EV Commy during VT, it had a slightly different c pilliar IIRC....

I mentioned that car close to the start of this thread.
It was the Ecommodore. Done by Holden and CSIRO. Had a Monaro shape but with 4 doors
Old 16-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Why complain Holden have got into the media about this new project. Good on them for having the gonads to do it.

As for Ford not doing it, here's a thread on this forum going at the moment about Ford and there lack of marketting.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11343181

Maybe the head honchos at Ford should take a leaf out of Holdens books.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it won`t matter what ever powers cars, electricity is said to go up another 30% in the not to distant future, you can guarantee if electric cars took off govco will be making sure they get their share of taxes out of it.
stuffed if you do stuffed if you don`t.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I reckon good on Holden for giving it a go, its a good way to secure your future that little bit longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Why complain Holden have got into the media about this new project. Good on them for having the gonads to do it.

As for Ford not doing it, here's a thread on this forum going at the moment about Ford and there lack of marketting.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11343181

Maybe the head honchos at Ford should take a leaf out of Holdens books.
This is not a Holden project, they had no involvement bar providing a few VE's they could use.

They provided no engineering or money for the project. A few staff are ex-Holden but a few are also ex-Ford and ex-Toyota.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting, shame its not GM/Holden Australia doing the actual work
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #30
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
interesting, shame its not GM/Holden Australia doing the actual work
But they still have the foresight to realise that if the boffins got it to work that it would be working with a Lion badge splashed on the front and rear of the car. Supplying a few bodies will have cost them nothing, but the green, Aussie made publicity is priceless.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post