Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
dylancox

Default In-car surveillance

Is there a non-conspicuous camera that can be installed into the interior of a car and left on when car is not running? Would like something with night vision, or better some kind of motion sensing that will alert me? Neighbour had his GPS stolen 2 weeks ago, and I had my car ransacked. Today, the thief has had the guts to come back and do a full ransack of my car (i keep nothing but papers and a few coins in there). This time he took all the coins . My car is GPS tracked so it won't be going anywhere without me knowing. Would be nice to get this ***** the next time he comes around. I might just bait him with some broken gadget put in the passenger seat.

dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: In-car surveillance

Sounds like your car is out in the open?? Is this device you seek only to watch over your car at home?

Any chance of setting up motion detecting spot lights (like those 2x 150w Par38 jobs Bunnings sell that are plug and play)??

Don't make the situation worse by baiting anyone... a would be theif has everything on you, but you have really nothing on them. Next time, you may find a smouldering wreck and the internal camera will be worth squat.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
dylancox

Yeh the car is out in the open. Reported the incident to Police and there are heaps of other similar reports in the area, but I don't see the Police patrolling or even making an effort to catch this thief. They're too busy setting up booze buses and doing radar patrols on the nearby main road. Maybe won't bother and just let it go. Even if the thief is caught, he'd probably be in less trouble than someone who got a Speeding Ticket... Although a pet snake doesn't seem like too bad an idea.
Old 28-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you think its a waste of time then why report it?

Police keep track of all the crime and in the end it helps build a case in court etc.... its not up to Police to give out sentances, its up to the magistrates.

You can buy IR motion sensor cameras, but nothing thats disguised really.
The resolution will be an issue too, because unless the crook sticks his face within a few cm of the camera (at night) you wont be able to get any sort of facial features, unless you want to spends $1000s on a high end camera.

You will be best off fitting an alarm to the car and motion sensor lighting to the outside of the building.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
dylancox

Yes I am aware Police keep track of crime (which is why I reported it), but what is the point of it all if they are doing diddly squat to deter it or catch the criminal? Good point about the resolution and night vision, it would take some pretty high end stuff to make a clear image. I don't keep any valuables in the car anyway, and the car is insured for fire/theft. I'm pretty sure nobody appreciates having their property ransacked, whether or not something was taken. And if the alarm goes off/light goes on, the thief is probably going to make a run for it and catching/hurting him is not an avenue I'd like to pursue.
Old 28-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Rangas GTP

Best way to catch a thief, leave a set of dummy keys in the car with a gps tracked key fob. Once they take your keys you can track them. Up to you then to decide on punishment.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

razor blades under your door handles..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
razor blades under your door handles..
Ouch,

However I assume the next time he comes back, it'd be with a bat =\

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

You asked for advice on fitting a camera to your car and your question has been answered.

I think the thread should be left at that.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Before you close up, where can I grab a GPS tracking system for my own car?

Any particular brands that are better and such?

Old 28-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Naranja
Before you close up, where can I grab a GPS tracking system for my own car?

Any particular brands that are better and such?
I run a Viper from the states. was 1000 usd including the optional GPS module, iPhone compatible. Has remote start via iPhone app.
Old 28-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
I run a Viper from the states. was 1000 usd including the optional GPS module, iPhone compatible. Has remote start via iPhone app.
Cheers mate.

Old 28-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ezitrak is worth a look as well
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
ohzone
Dent Removal

Be aware of these GPS Tracker Jammers
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
topgear
The Stig

There are hell lot of cameras available on ebay as low as $29 which can record HD video 720p for upto 3 hrs on a single charge, with night vision, gps tracker and many more features. I saw some very good cameras but too lazy to search for them now. Here are few of the kind am talking about.. but if you dig down you will find way too many better ones with better options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Lens-in...ht_11277wt_922

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-Port...ht_5039wt_1196

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Camera-H...ht_5149wt_1196
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post