Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
topgear
The Stig

Default cyclist incident

I was dropping off my mate's work van (Toyota Hiace) and was waiting at the signals on the left lane. (In Melbourne) Then a cyclist came and was waiting at the signals as well. Approximately 100mts (4 car spaces I guess) after the intersection there were cars parked on road side which means I have to merge right.

So, at green me and that cyclist took off and then I overtook him at the intersection itself (not because he will get on my way but I have to merge right soon after the intersection. So, I went past intersection and the cyclist was following right behind me and I was trying merge right and slowed down as no one giveway to me and cars were a head of me and eventually someone let me go so I didn't had to stop.

While merging into right lane I noticed in the left mirror that at the left rear end the cyclist was leaning on the van. I thought he lost balance or may didn't had no where to go as there were cars a head so whatever, I immediately pulled over and waited for the cyclist and asked him if he is ok.

To my surprise, he blames me that I almost caused a severe injuries to him. He was old and out of respect I said 'am sorry mate I didn't know what happened back there, I saw you fumbling and fell on the van so thought to check if you are ok'. He blames me again and says 'you know what.. am gonna complaint to police about you for driving recklessly'. I didn't know what to say whether to laugh or to get angry and he didn't let me speak and took van rego and took off.

I have been driving for many years with no offense or fine with clean record and never faced this kind of situation. I usually stay away from cyclists as I know how vulnerable they are.

What will happen if he complaints? Is this gonna be a big issue that I have to worry about?

topgear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: cyclist incident

If he genuinely thought that you caused an accident, then he should have exchanged details with you.
As there is no requirement by law at the present time that requires cyclists to be identifiable, then i believe it to be a case of "he said, she said"
Any independent witnesses?
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
topgear
The Stig

To be frank I am not sure if he was serious or just trying to threaten me... he didn't note down my rego on a paper.. he just went ahead, saw my rego and memorised, looked at his watch and took off. He didn't ask me for my details and no one stopped because I didn't hit him, I didn't fled away, nor he got injured, I even doubt if he even got the dust of my van on to him. If there are witnesses then I would be favoured. But like I said no one bothered to stop.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

You sound like you remained fairly calm and I commend you for that.
I would've found it hard to keep my cool, and that's all I'll say on this topic.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was he an L C F ?
Old 28-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

People say things when faced with a stressful situation.

The fact you stopped to see if he was okay was a courtesy that he will probably reflect upon once he rode off. Cyclists have close calls with cars everyday and vice versa.

I personally do not think you have anything to worry about, however if he does report you, all you have to do is state the facts and I am sure that nothing will come of it. It will come down, like Pinkbits says, your word against his.

Cheers
Col
Old 28-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the unlikely event that you have a member of the police ask you about it, if you explain it in a similar way to what you have done here then you have nothing to worry about. Regardless of who's fault it is they would see there was no malice and no intent and leave it at that.

Cyclist's demand respect on the road but some of them sure don't earn it, don't let it rattle you
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

I'm unsure of rules Australia wide, but as far as I knew cyclists aren't forced to ride on the road and they do so at their own risk?

In which case is if this is true they also must ride as if they are a car and not between lines?

I know this is the rules over in England where a cyclist MUST ride on the road and must act as a car and use hand signals, I'm often frustrated by cyclists in my town who ride on the road when the paths are not restricted at all, there are also designated bicycle lanes which are also not used.

Anyway back on topic, if the first two sentences are the case I'm thinking you are likely to be fine as he had other means of road but it being Melbourne I'm not sure of the rules.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Naranja
I'm unsure of rules Australia wide, but as far as I knew cyclists aren't forced to ride on the road and they do so at their own risk?
In Vic they have to ride on the road or a designated bicycle track.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
topgear
The Stig

Thanks guys. There were cars parked ahead of me and I was merging right so no way I can hit him even unknowingly with the left rear end of my van. If anyone access that intersection in person will just rule it off. I am moving interstate after Easter and don't want to get caught up with these things just before I leave otherwise, wouldn't bother much.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Big Bird 17

It's your word against his,if he does'nt have anyone to back him up then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
stevz
Banned

Typical cyclist, they ride around as if they were in the Tour de France and expect everyone else to bend over backwards to accomodate them. 99% of the time they put themselves in dangerous situations and then have the audacity to abuse motorists.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

By morning I would have woken and thought to myself... hmmm something was bothering me yesterday.. can't remember what exactly???

Don't lose sleep over it, don't worry about it. If what you said happened as you said it then I would not be concerned.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont worry yourself about it.
If somehow police did show up at your door, be resolute and say you know nothing about it. The dropkick didn't take your name so it would be his word against yours. The law can be bent and sometimes you just have to be hard to protect yourself.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the cyclist was at your left rear and you had already passed him previously, sounds like you braked to deal with the merge and he was following a little too close.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
ado351c

Well in the retirement capital of WA, we get groups of senior's in yellow shirts who will happily take up an entire lane with 3 bikes across and get grumpy when you have to pass them.

Had another cyclist swerve towards me as i passed him today, had his ipod on and didnt notice me coming.

Ps you'll be fine mate, i've lost count of how many people have taken down my number plate.
Old 29-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

What is this a rag on cyclists thread?
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
What is this a rag on cyclists thread?
Just say the word cyclists and this place goes insane. Some of the people on here would beneift greatly by getting on a bike, put it that way.

As far as the OP goes, I reckon you'll be fine. I'm a cyclist myself and chumps like that bloke annoy me too cos it gives the rest of us a bad name (and hence the pig headed replies that some show)
Old 29-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Just say the word cyclists and this place goes insane. Some of the people on here would beneift greatly by getting on a bike, put it that way.

As far as the OP goes, I reckon you'll be fine. I'm a cyclist myself and chumps like that bloke annoy me too cos it gives the rest of us a bad name (and hence the pig headed replies that some show)
Agree to that.

I think that everybody should cycle for at least 2 months when they get their license. Makes you appreciate sharing the road, paying attention or aniticipating other people's moves and gives you a perspective of being on the other end, ie being on a bike.

Not to mention the health aspect of it all
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Agree to that.

I think that everybody should cycle for at least 2 months when they get their license. Makes you appreciate sharing the road, paying attention or aniticipating other people's moves and gives you a perspective of being on the other end, ie being on a bike.

I think most people spent the previous 10 years cycling and are please to put it behind them

Some people are idiots, whether they cycle or drive. We just have to accept that.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Agree to that.

Cyclist are to car drivers as car drivers are to truck drivers. Except they can legally use the footpath and they are always in the right!! just ask them
Old 29-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Typical cyclist, they ride around as if they were in the Tour de France and expect everyone else to bend over backwards to accomodate them. 99% of the time they put themselves in dangerous situations and then have the audacity to abuse motorists.
Your kidding right!

And no I don't ride a bike.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Your kidding right!

And no I don't ride a bike.
Nope, I'm dead serious. I don't know what they're like in your area, but around Melbourne they're certainly as I described.

Last edited by stevz; 29-03-2012 at 10:44 PM.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #24
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Go to the Queensland transport web site and look at the road rules for cyclists. Or what state or territory you are from and see that cyclist have as much right on the road as other traffic, and i am a truck driver, a cyclist and a falcon driver.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go to the Queensland transport web site and look at the road rules for cyclists. Or what state or territory you are from and see that cyclist have as much right on the road as other traffic, and i am a truck driver, a cyclist and a falcon driver.
Yes they do, but many of them seam to think the road rules do not apply to cyclists. I had one fly through a stop sign in front of me today. That is a common occurrence with many cyclists, I see it all the time.
I have also noticed that when they do something wrong they never wave and say sorry, they just go crazy and abuse people.

By the way I RIDE A MOUNTAIN BIKE, I have rode on public roads many times unfortunately. When I do ride on roads I do not act like I own the joint, I don't pick and choose which rules I feel like obeying that day and I can say I have never had any close calls.
So if you are or know any cyclists who are always having close calls, maybe they should look at their own riding style before blaming everyone else.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #26
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear
While merging into right lane I noticed in the left mirror that at the left rear end the cyclist was leaning on the van.
I think he was trying to hitch a free ride. I've seen it happen before.

If I saw a cyclist leaning on my car I would've made some sudden evasive manoeuvres. That'll teach them.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #27
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

I'm seeing quite a lot of defence for cyclists.

You can fit 6 blokes behind a car before they become the same width, it's easy not to see a car in the blind spot of a mirror what makes cyclists think they are any different.

I understand those who take this into account when riding, but when these arrogant ones come along expecting to noticed and obeyed like they are flying a boeing 737, they need a reality check.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Nope, I'm dead serious. I don't know what they're like in your area, but around Melbourne they're certainly as I described.

I suppose you must be one of those hoons that ACA talk about right???

You're a car enthusiast so you must be a hoon? 99% of members here are all hoons...

Do you see the where I am going with this?
Old 30-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
Assassinbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yes they do, but many of them seam to think the road rules do not apply to cyclists. I had one fly through a stop sign in front of me today. That is a common occurrence with many cyclists, I see it all the time.
I have also noticed that when they do something wrong they never wave and say sorry, they just go crazy and abuse people.

By the way I RIDE A MOUNTAIN BIKE, I have rode on public roads many times unfortunately. When I do ride on roads I do not act like I own the joint, I don't pick and choose which rules I feel like obeying that day and I can say I have never had any close calls.
So if you are or know any cyclists who are always having close calls, maybe they should look at their own riding style before blaming everyone else.
This is all too often the difference between a Roadie & a MTB'r & riding in the bush is a whole lot more fun & challenging to boot, note to self, work less & get back on the treads.......in the dirt
Old 30-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
topgear
The Stig

Quote:
Aren't they really lucky to have that right with out paying registrations like car drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
I suppose you must be one of those hoons that ACA talk about right???

You're a car enthusiast so you must be a hoon? 99% of members here are all hoons...

Do you see the where I am going with this?
Hahaha thats a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Just say the word cyclists and this place goes insane. Some of the people on here would benefit greatly by getting on a bike, put it that way.

I agree with you. Like WAForce8 mentioned its cyclists vs cars vs trucks and in Melbourne you can add trams . I like bikes more than cars but I don't want to take a chance. You might think am scared but I have my reasons. I had so many accidents on bikes overseas and once fell down with head first. Luckily I had helmet on though it wasn't mandatory there. Helmet was badly damaged, I didn't buy a new helmet instead bought a car and decided thats where I belong. There won't be a second chance in a bike accident here in Australia. Everyday I see 3 out of 5 car drivers are so agressive just between cars (road rage is another story) and I see so many accidents... If one doesn't have car that looks agressive, then all traffic will be agressive and chase you down. No one will dare to cut infront of you or take off beside you and they keep distance most importantly. When ever I get to drive a small car, I find all traffic behaving different. People can't see a car coming and imagine if its a bike. More than cars, DRLs should be made mandatory for bikes and cycles to make them safer. There are certain times of day especially at dusk, when you can not spot a bike or cycle in side mirrors through tinted windows unless they have lights on. I ve got HIDs on my car and use them all times of day. They take less power and last long and makes my presence on road just like DRLs.

Quote:
I think Melbourne has majority of cyclists compared to other cities. 9 out of 10 cyclists just go through slow moving traffic or try to squeeze through cars stopped at the lights. If there is a bicycle lane then thats a safe thing to do and make sense. When there is no bicycle lane, I don't understand the logic behind the cycle overtaking the traffic standing at lights and stop right infront of all cars and wait for green and then block all traffic behind it. And this repeats at every signal. I had close calls while driving a car with cars changing lanes all of a sudden with out warning and even at the signals.

End of the day the fact is there are good cyclists, bad cyclists, good drivers, bad drivers... in any case its the cyclists who are vulnerable.