Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shed broken into :(

Hey guys.

There has been ALOT of break and enters around this region lately, and to shoot across just what I mean alot, I'm talking 8 in 1 night, no one caught.

Usually I just leave my car parked out the front as I live on a highway and a truck stop is right there.

Well last night I had this feeling so I decided to remove my girlfriends car ( a $2000 excel ) and put mine in the shed, locked.

Around 3am this morning, I heard numerous bangs and being fast asleep with misses snoaring in my ear I didn't take much notice but it did wake me. I then heard my dog going bananas and then people and more bangs.

So I got up and went out-side, and here I find 2 young dark people trying to brake into my shed which they kind of did, but my dog bailed them up.

Now the point of this thread, because my shed contents are not insured ( car is ) is there anything that can be done about damages? The door was kicked in, it was a wooden one. So today I went to Bunnings and bought some steel and knocked up a metal door just for now, and still currently in the middle of replacnig the side of the shed which was the worst.

Can anything be done?

Here's some pics of the door I replaced it with, and the side of shed, still a hole to fix yet.

And the window on the other side of the shed was smashed but replaced aswell. Luckily it didn't mark my car at all.

buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Default Re: Shed broken into :(

Ring up your insurance company and see what cover on your home and content cover. Most Insurance company policy covers everything on poperty but just find out and go from there.

Another thing don't repair the old shed just yet until you check that not a Abestos fibro sheeting.

Hide you car keys at night too, seriously hide them well.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody mongrels....guvment should be making these mongrels accountable! instead of pussy footing around with them!

yep! hide your keys and make your house safe!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah looks like asbestos.

Might be a blessing in disguise. Insurance will fix it, and may actually replace all the fibro.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Looks like asbestos I agree..

Be careful working with it.

Get a professional asbestos removal company.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Sorry to hear about this drama mate. Glad they didnt get to your prized car!
But IMO, which Im a firm believer in. Nothing that a couple of these wont fix right up...

Last edited by Windsor342ci; 30-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Yep anything that makes lots of noise and plenty of light will scare most grubs away. I'd tie fishing line right around your shed at shin height with some bells attached too so that no matter how careful they are, the dogs will hear them when they come again.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Sorry to hear about this drama mate. Glad they didnt get to your prized car!
But IMO opinion, which Im a firm believer in. Nothing that a couple of these wont fix right up...

Yep I have a german shepard which is my mums security dog, she isn't working as security guard anymore due to knee replacement so I have the dog, he bailed them up but never attacked them.

And yes I do hide my keys, some times I store them in my gun safe.

And I didn't want to leave no door on the shed so I just knocked up a door real quick with metal from Bunnings.

EDIT: Will give them a call Monday first thing.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would throw a bit better lock on it mate, as those 4 screws holding the current lock on won't last long against a good kick. Maybe adding a chain, looped through the door and around that big lump of timber would help. Could even lock both up with the current pad lock, saving you from too much trouble to get into your own shed.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
superfly
Go the Hogster!

As mentioned check with your insurance company. I'm with Shannons and they automatically cover my shed and contents as well under my house and contents insurance.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

You say your dog bailed them up? Did they run away or did you catch them and call the police?
I hate the violated feeling when you have been broken into. We where broken into last year and whilst nothing of significant value had been stolen all my personal info from a drawer (bank statements etc) where opened and I hate to think what a person might do with this information. That looks like old hardies fibro sheet, I'd be mighty careful before touching or going near it now it's damaged.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
You say your dog bailed them up? Did they run away or did you catch them and call the police?
I hate the violated feeling when you have been broken into. We where broken into last year and whilst nothing of significant value had been stolen all my personal info from a drawer (bank statements etc) where opened and I hate to think what a person might do with this information. That looks like old hardies fibro sheet, I'd be mighty careful before touching or going near it now it's damaged.
They were caught but don't know what has happened they were of 14 and 16 years of age.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Shocking. If I had kids who where that age I'd probably slap some sense into them; of course I'd go to jail for this. But then I'd try to raise children to respect others property.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92
Hey guys.

There has been ALOT of break and enters around this region lately, and to shoot across just what I mean alot, I'm talking 8 in 1 night, no one caught.

Usually I just leave my car parked out the front as I live on a highway and a truck stop is right there.

Well last night I had this feeling so I decided to remove my girlfriends car ( a $2000 excel ) and put mine in the shed, locked.

Around 3am this morning, I heard numerous bangs and being fast asleep with misses snoaring in my ear I didn't take much notice but it did wake me. I then heard my dog going bananas and then people and more bangs.

So I got up and went out-side, and here I find 2 young dark people trying to brake into my shed which they kind of did, but my dog bailed them up.

Now the point of this thread, because my shed contents are not insured ( car is ) is there anything that can be done about damages? The door was kicked in, it was a wooden one. So today I went to Bunnings and bought some steel and knocked up a metal door just for now, and still currently in the middle of replacnig the side of the shed which was the worst.

Can anything be done?

Here's some pics of the door I replaced it with, and the side of shed, still a hole to fix yet.

And the window on the other side of the shed was smashed but replaced aswell. Luckily it didn't mark my car at all.
Once you know what the insurence is doing install some otion detecting lights outside , lots more metal and better locks , slowing them down is the deal , I am surprised thay didn't fall down some , last scu here that tried a b+e jusped the back fence in the waiting jaws of my Rotties
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #15
BAXR8_Ute

Where abouts are you? I'm not sure about other states but in NSW kids that age are dealt with under the young offenders act where they'd get a caution for a break and enter or possibly a conference if their history is bad. Unfortunately there's no recourse for compensation to be paid under this act. If theyre recidivist offenders they may get charged but courts rarely award compensation with a juvenile as they have no way of paying it. The good news is that if they get found guilty your insurance company will go after them for the money and should save you paying your excess.
Old 31-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Yep anything that makes lots of noise and plenty of light will scare most grubs away. I'd tie fishing line right around your shed at shin height with some bells attached too so that no matter how careful they are, the dogs will hear them when they come again.

nailboards..

scrap timber.. with rather large rusty nails bashed through..

hide in longish grass and along fence lines.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

The dog's a good start, I have a Shepherd too and the guy next door has 2 Rottweilers so we generally know when there are people around.

Id also think about some of those solar security lights above the doors etc.
Old 31-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Glad to see the the only damage was to the shed and not your car, good to see the GSD doing it's job perfectly aswell.

Must say with this situation seeming to be on the rise, security has become a much more major factor in our renovation fans, i don't work for other people to steal my toys.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
nailboards..

love it.....however be aware of the entrapment law!......and also you could be sued for damages if ANYONE is injured on your property!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
nailboards..

You've never looked up the meaning of politically correct, have you?
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
You've never looked up the meaning of politically correct, have you?
rusty nail through a scumbags foot.. correct..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post