Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
jt-1994

Default using oil

hey guys my au 6 cylinder is using a large amount of engine oil (roughly 1 liter a week) trouble is it doesnt leak oil anywhere or blow smoke as far as i know what could this indicate?

jt-1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: using oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-1994 View Post
hey guys my au 6 cylinder is using a large amount of engine oil (roughly 1 liter a week) trouble is it doesnt leak oil anywhere or blow smoke as far as i know what could this indicate?
Not looking hard enough lol! Not sure, oil pressure sender on the side of the block under the inlet manifold (to the left of the coilpack) tend to leak a fair amount when they let go, pull the connector off & see if that connector is full of oil, if it is you'll need to replace the sender.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
jt-1994

oh thats interesting cause the pressure sender itself is actually playing up on me the guage moves all over the place whilst driving so ill look into that thanks
Old 20-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Checked the Header tank

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

When I had an after market metal PCV valve in, it was sucking all the oil out of my engine. Wasn't 1 litre a week, but I guess it depends on how much driving you do. It was about half a litre every 1000kms.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
jt-1994

header tank is fine and i changed the metal pcv valve for a plastic one in hope it would solve the probem, one question though should there be oil in the pcv valve itself? because with mine you can see a drops of oil on the inside
Old 21-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

You do get a bit of oil in there, can't really avoid it. Maybe try putting a clear piece of hose on it from an aquarium or Bunnings and have a look at just how much is getting through. Just dont forget and leave it on, as they tend to melt and block the IAC valve operation. Dont ask me how I know that.
What do the plugs look like?
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-1994 View Post
oh thats interesting cause the pressure sender itself is actually playing up on me the guage moves all over the place whilst driving so ill look into that thanks
Yeah, i've seen a couple of senders let go & leak a decent amount of oil, the oil seems to make its way towards the back of the engine & bellhousing before it hits the ground. Since you've got a oil gauge you'll need a pressure sensor if that is indeed what the problem is.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 21-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Since you've got a oil gauge you'll need a pressure sensor if that is indeed what the problem is.

cheers, Maka
only on a series one, on the series 2/2 the gauge is a fake and just uses a switch. the fake gauge always reads the same pressure unless the switch is open when it reads zero

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
jt-1994

just searched all over the engine block low and high side to side and there are no traces of oil so it must be getting used while driving :/
Old 21-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni View Post
When I had an after market metal PCV valve in, it was sucking all the oil out of my engine. Wasn't 1 litre a week, but I guess it depends on how much driving you do. It was about half a litre every 1000kms.
This might explain my oil useage

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
only on a series one, on the series 2/2 the gauge is a fake and just uses a switch. the fake gauge always reads the same pressure unless the switch is open when it reads zero
is there a way to change it so that it reads actual oil pressure?

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Jt, if you believe its burning oil, maybe check you're spark plugs to see any signs of oil fouling like Evgeni suggested? Had a look at the rear main seal yet?

cheers, Maka

Old 21-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_6falcon View Post
is there a way to change it so that it reads actual oil pressure?
Unfortunately no, I looked into it for my XR6 some years ago

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 21-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Take it for a blast around a race track, that usually helps. Sometimes driving it too conservatively gets them sooted up.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For some things that's a good idea but for high oil consumption that's defiantly not the way to go, could end up doing damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Take it for a blast around a race track, that usually helps. Sometimes driving it too conservatively gets them sooted up.

Rides:

Old 22-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Oops, ok... maybe not good advice without fully understanding the problem.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Oops, ok... maybe not good advice without fully understanding the problem.
I don't know, it might help the issue develop to the point it is easier to find, or it might provide the cure you hope for. All good, or blown up motor. Either way, will be fixed! lol
MNM96 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #18
jt-1994

thanks for all the good advice so far guys i will check the spark plugs on the weekend for traces of oil but i still am uncertain of this, if the car is using so.much oil.and consuming it through combustion would there be any traces of visible smoke? or could it burn it without the smoke?
Old 23-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

You would think there would be smoke visible, i would have a look anyway just to cross it off the list of possible causes.

cheers, Maka