Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default What Workplace Health & Safety !!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...-1227537503450
Brave, brave men.............
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: What Workplace Health & Safety !!

Fantastic flashbacks.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No fear of heights there, more for the birds !
The $635 million in todays money to build the empire state building probably would double by the time you add in all the managers and OHS requirements .
Long gone are the days of knowing your job and what to do, now it's all box ticking !
Nice pics all the same
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deaths in the workplace, lead paint, cheap labour, those were the days......

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 22-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Carrion

Life was cheep back then and people were hungry
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
superyob
Banned

Most of us damp eyed nancy boys of the modern era can't get by without our Nivea, let alone stringent OH/S regulations...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Most of us damp eyed nancy boys of the modern era can't get by without our Nivea,
whats a nivea?

i like these old black and whites. i have stacks of them. its interesting to see how things were done back then.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Most of us damp eyed nancy boys of the modern era can't get by without our Nivea, let alone stringent OH/S regulations...
as a practicing OHS professional, the laws across Australia are simple, the problem comes with the implementation of them at workplace level

If you were to take the time to read the 'law' you would understand.

A lot of people (in particular Unions) have impacted on the implementation of the law into workplaces, so if you want to refer to people as "damp eyed nancy boys" then I suggest you look at businesses policies and procedures NOT the law

No where in the law does it mention hi-vis clothes, goggles, what it does say is that businesses need to ensure the health and safety of workers (and others), how the business does that is entirely up to the business, they are the ones that will have to justify their decision in a court of law or even a Coroners court
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
No where in the law does it mention hi-vis clothes, goggles, what it does say is that businesses need to ensure the health and safety of workers (and others), how the business does that is entirely up to the business, they are the ones that will have to justify their decision in a court of law or even a Coroners court
Most of those measures would be irrelevant if people were required to exercise common sense, and held personally liable when they were found not to have done so.... eg. we've probably all heard of the story of the worker that was away on a work trip, hooked up with someone on her personal time and had an injury when her hanky panky got a bit too vigorous. or the woman who insisted on working from home, then got a fat payout when she fell down her own stairs.

OHS... just one more nail in the local job market.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Most of those measures would be irrelevant if people were required to exercise common sense, and held personally liable when they were found not to have done so.... eg. we've probably all heard of the story of the worker that was away on a work trip, hooked up with someone on her personal time and had an injury when her hanky panky got a bit too vigorous. or the woman who insisted on working from home, then got a fat payout when she fell down her own stairs.

OHS... just one more nail in the local job market.
That is not OHS but workers comp - and those cases cited are from a no fault system. I think as Trevor tried to explain, OHS is often used as an excuse. Just like 'I cant give you that info because of the Privacy Act' Well what part?
Personally I use the old adage, Identify Access and Control.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Semantics. The two go hand in hand. Once you demonstrate an injury is work-related, it falls back to the employer to have taken reasonable steps as required under OHS legislation.
Old 23-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #12
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Have a look at the Comcare system. And in the two cases you talk of, any convictions?
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #13
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whether an employer is convicted or not isn't really relevant... what matters is where the money to pay for the 'injury' comes from - the employer. Maybe not that individual, but the organization's premium will go up, and the rest of the cost is passed to all other insurance holders. Is that fair when the employer has no scope to reduce the risk (eg. in an employee's home, or in the hotel room they are shagging themselves senseless in)? Again, semantics.
Old 23-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #14
superyob
Banned

Quote:
as a practicing OHS professional, the laws across Australia are simple, the problem comes with the implementation of them at workplace level

If you were to take the time to read the 'law' you would understand.

A lot of people (in particular Unions) have impacted on the implementation of the law into workplaces, so if you want to refer to people as "damp eyed nancy boys" then I suggest you look at businesses policies and procedures NOT the law

Just making a satirical observation Trevor 57. Not meant to be taken seriously...
Old 23-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Slightly off subject.. HR is taking over these days ..Its another level of management ..
Think how the Sydney harbour bridge was built ?
In 1980 started working in Sydney as a line worker .. The OH&S is much different now .
HAC forms to be filled before each job.. Mind you it can be used big time if things are unsafe ..
1n 1980 we didn't even do traffic control when working on side of the road blocking one lane ..
Now we have full signs etc RTA approved cert etc..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 23-09-2015 at 11:30 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never understood the logic of roadside safety in recent years ... they're working behind concrete barricades yet its a 40 zone. Meanwhile, plenty of footpaths with zero protection for pedestrians alongside 80 zones etc. Its bizarre how in our personal lives, we are allowed to assume all manner of risks, but the moment you clock on, the risk becomes unacceptable.
Old 24-09-2015, 05:56 AM   #17
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I never understood the logic of roadside safety in recent years ... they're working behind concrete barricades yet its a 40 zone. Meanwhile, plenty of footpaths with zero protection for pedestrians alongside 80 zones etc. Its bizarre how in our personal lives, we are allowed to assume all manner of risks, but the moment you clock on, the risk becomes unacceptable.
because the moment you clock on you become your bosses responsibility

Now before you go off trumpeting, just understand where OHS legislation began, it all stems from the English industrial revolution, where kids under 10 where in factories (and dying in factories). We all look in amazement of the old pictures of men working on high construction, but what we don't see is them dying in the hundreds, how many died building the Sydney Harbour bridge, how many died building Melbourne's Westgate Bridge (in the 1970's)?

As a parent of a 17 year old apprentice builder, my son was expected to work at 4.4 metres on a shed construction without any fall protection, my son just wanted a job, the builder just wanted cheap labour, imagine how happy I was when I found it, suffice to say he didn't stay with the builder, and did I report the builder - you betcha

Just take a minute to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e34-1vrcBKg
3 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Pis-ton broke
Banned

im a tradesman and ive worked on numerous building and industrial sites. my observation is that there is an issue with ohs offices and tradies. an ohs offices being difficult and hard to work with. sometimes you here "wheres the ohs office, so we can get this done". and we are getting pressure to get the job done. example; we have to cut some steel with a nine inch grinder, the rules are grey, and where not supposed to use it, so "wheres the ohs guy?" sometimes blue collar guys just cant win.

a work mate had a tool hit his head, it fell from a tradesman above. hes a welder, but lucky he had his hard hat on. in order to get the job done, management throw stacks guys at it. but they all working on top of one another, dangerous. there was no investigation and no incident report. no one cares.

a site that i visit, last two times there was an incident. #1. i had to cut into a steel pipe for modification. i asked the question (as i always do) is it drained and isolated? A. =yes , heres the paperwork, sign here,here and here. i cut into the pipe and water comes flying out at me (what if it was acid?). no indent report, no investigation. no one cares.

#2. same place different time. had water douse us from above. guys above where told not to work there, but they did. investigation this time. someone cares.

ohs is all over the place, very inconsistent. hard for me to work with.

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 24-09-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
a work mate had a tool hit his head, it fell from a tradesman above. hes a welder, but lucky he had his hard hat on. in order to get the job done, management throw stacks guys at it. but they all working on top of one another, dangerous. there was no investigation and no incident report. no one cares.
ring for general enquiries contact our Advisory Service on (03) 9641 1444 or 1800 136 089 (toll free).
To report serious workplace emergencies contact our 24 hour emergency response line on 13 23 60.

Quote:
a site that i visit, last two times there was an incident. #1. i had to cut into a steel pipe for modification. i asked the question (as i always do) is it drained and isolated? A. =yes , heres the paperwork, sign here,here and here. i cut into the pipe and water comes flying out at me (what if it was acid?). no indent report, no investigation. no one cares.
ring for general enquiries contact our Advisory Service on (03) 9641 1444 or 1800 136 089 (toll free).
To report serious workplace emergencies contact our 24 hour emergency response line on 13 23 60

Quote:
#2. same place different time. had water douse us from above. guys above where told not to work there, but they did. investigation this time. someone cares.
To report serious workplace emergencies contact our 24 hour emergency response line on 13 23 60

Quote:
ohs is all over the place, very inconsistent. hard for me to work with.
Not the laws fault, the law is clear, it is how the law is instilled (or not) in the business

I am not being sarcastic by posting that number, I am assured by Worksafe that they follow up on every call, anonymous or not, they farm the complaints out to the local offices to investigate
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome pics, balls came in two sizes in those years , coconut and im having trouble walking.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Awesome pics, balls came in two sizes in those years , coconut and im having trouble walking.
Yeah, I love looking at photos like that. Different time, different world. Love early Australian stuff to...........
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You see some people work and wonder how they are still alive. It's just common sense most of the time. OHS is a two way street. Your employer can not be responsible for you doing stupid ****.

I'm glad that I work a desk and am more likely to die of boredom than anything else.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #23
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Section 25 of the OHS Act covers off employees, however it is usually the employer who cops it if someone is a ****-wit, that is the way the law is. There have been prosecutions of employees under Section 25, the most notable in Victoria were the workmates of Brodie Panlcok
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #24
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

How did this thread turn into an OH&S pi$$ing contest??

Men with nerves of steel paved the way for the construction world as we know it, and youre ******!ing about what limp noodle law applies to the other limp noodle?

R.E.S.P.E.C.T fellas....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for your positive contribution, I am sure your children will appreciate going back to the 'good old days' with workplace safety, hell workers are just a disposable commodity anyway
Old 26-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #26
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
cool pics!

i guess an individual was their own safety officer bitd. there's some things that some folks don't have a problem doing whereas others see the same as risky. unforunately the insurance industry dictates to the OH&S industry nowadays.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
Ovakil460

Been on site's wearing steel caps while working, then when carpet goes down they expect you to take them off.
Politely tell them to ***** off.
Ovakil460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #28
superyob
Banned

Quote:
thanks for your positive contribution, I am sure your children will appreciate going back to the 'good old days' with workplace safety, hell workers are just a disposable commodity anyway
I think people are looking at this thread with different perspectives Trevor 57. Nobody is wanting to go back to having low safety standards, just admiring the get up and go of people from ages past...
Old 26-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #29
CJR09
RPO 77

it should be pointed out there were only 4? deaths during construction on he empire state building?

you can take what ever precaution you may like to employ ohs - dont think for one minute that I am against it, alot of it is good - some of it leaves you scratching your head - but there are always the dumb & dumber

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #30
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Apparently drilling plastic requires a hot works permit. 1.5 hours to do a 1 minute job.
This is where it gets a bit silly.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post