Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
creative
I am Batman

Angry Dealer parts prices (!)

Doing a freshen up on the engine now and thought I would see how much genuine gaskets were from ford... do it once do it right and all that jazz.

requested a price on sump, front timing cover and 2 exhaust gaskets...I was ready to accept them being a little bit more expensive but what I recieved almost caused me to fall off my chair!

The total was $800!....... for 4 gaskets! What the actual F%#$? The exhaust gaskets are $303.56 EACH! Safe to say my money will be going elsewhere unless we have someone on here that can do realistic prices!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Dealer parts prices (!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Doing a freshen up on the engine now and thought I would see how much genuine gaskets were from ford... do it once do it right and all that jazz.

requested a price on sump, front timing cover and 2 exhaust gaskets...I was ready to accept them being a little bit more expensive but what I recieved almost caused me to fall off my chair!

The total was $800!....... for 4 gaskets! What the actual F%#$? The exhaust gaskets are $303.56 EACH! Safe to say my money will be going elsewhere unless we have someone on here that can do realistic prices!
LOL, I recently bought an Oil Cooler gasket set for my German Taxi (CLK 240).

Aftermarket price $70

And they wonder why we don't buy from dealers
Old 28-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
LOL, I recently bought an Oil Cooler gasket set for my German Taxi (CLK 240).

Aftermarket price $70

And they wonder why we don't buy from dealers
Exactly! I knew it would be a little more in terms of price, but I just thought I would see and compare but I certainly wasnt expecting a price like that! I would of liked genuine items but that is just plain stupid!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://aagaskets.com.au/about.aspx

Aussie made....funny enough across the road from Ford.

Guys on here seem to recommend them.
Old 28-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember some time around late 90's or early 00's, they did a story on how much it would cost to build a new car if you purchased every part you needed from the manufacturer's spare parts division and then did all the labour yourself (for free).

It was for a Commodore or Falcon which was worth about $33000 at the time - to build yourself paying retail for parts was just under $340000.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going back into the mists of time...about 1979 I believe...the RACQ in Queensland had a campaign going about ludicrous spare parts prices.
In fact (and this was in the days when you could order "one without the lot", ie: just a bare primed body shell from the dealer) they ordered every single part of a brand new Kingswood sedan from various dealers came ot a not-unexpected conclusion.
Buying a new Kingy at the time was about $4500. Building one from scratch with over the counter spare parts would cost something like $15,000.

Looks like nothing has changed.

Just one little issue. Motorcyclists have been dealing with suggestions (by the manufacturers of course) for only approved original parts to be able to be used to replace all parts of a bike to keep them legal. This meant that replacement exhaust system for your bike could well cost more than your bike is worth if it's a few years old. Not to mention how long they will keep making parts for it.

Car makers have whispered about this before, without much success because of concerns for the massive job losses in spare parts shops and companies that make spares.

Imagine...being only able to buy spare parts for your car over the counter from the dealership, and nowhere else...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I got quoted $650 for a replacement 17" steelie for a Territory once. Not the normal spoked design with the centre cap, the pursuit-style spare wheel.

Six. Hundred. and Fifty. Dollars.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Going back into the mists of time...about 1979 I believe...the RACQ in Queensland had a campaign going about ludicrous spare parts prices.
In fact (and this was in the days when you could order "one without the lot", ie: just a bare primed body shell from the dealer) they ordered every single part of a brand new Kingswood sedan from various dealers came ot a not-unexpected conclusion.
Buying a new Kingy at the time was about $4500. Building one from scratch with over the counter spare parts would cost something like $15,000.

Looks like nothing has changed.

Just one little issue. Motorcyclists have been dealing with suggestions (by the manufacturers of course) for only approved original parts to be able to be used to replace all parts of a bike to keep them legal. This meant that replacement exhaust system for your bike could well cost more than your bike is worth if it's a few years old. Not to mention how long they will keep making parts for it.

Car makers have whispered about this before, without much success because of concerns for the massive job losses in spare parts shops and companies that make spares.

Imagine...being only able to buy spare parts for your car over the counter from the dealership, and nowhere else...
For my Kawasaki ZZR1100 (2001 model) I was quoted $800 each for a muffler after a stack. No guessing why I went for a Yoshi 4 into 1 system.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
Ben

This is why we cant have nice things
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

So glad I can get most things at trade prices from suppliers through work.

Not just cars and bikes, the big stuff is the same.
A few years ago we wanted to replace a synchro on the gearbox in my 1984 Volvo bus.
Pulled out the dodgy synchro, took it to the Volvo truck dealer, and they quoted us $1000 for a new one. No thanks.
Put the old one back in, and learned to work around it for the remaining 7 years we owned it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 05:54 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I got quoted $650 for a replacement 17" steelie for a Territory once. Not the normal spoked design with the centre cap, the pursuit-style spare wheel.

Six. Hundred. and Fifty. Dollars.
Jesus! I remember a time when those "pursuit" wheels were a good option for guys doing a "different" modification on their cars like VL Commodores and EB Falcons and the like, as you could get them in wide 16" size for about fifty bucks each.
Old 29-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #12
2002au
Define definitive

Recently brought a bf f6 typhoon and it didn't come with any mats. Ford wanted $360! Got some copy's coming from ebay for $99
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Don't forget the $150 key blanks that I buy out of China for $5 each.

Or the $280 flip keys that I pay $US14 for.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
Don't forget the $150 key blanks that I buy out of China for $5 each.

Or the $280 flip keys that I pay $US14 for.
Where you getting the flip key's from?
Old 29-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Where you getting the flip key's from?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-F...272036300.html
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 29-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
How do they hold up? I assume its a copy.
Old 29-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were two that didn't quite slide into the ignition.

I used a Dremel and sanding disk to grind them narrower by 0.4mm, and they've worked fine ever since.
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 29-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #18
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Many of the auto locks I use are aftermarket, but many are sourced from OEM.
As for chinese keys, some are just as good (copies), but when modifing to fit properly, cheap and nasty.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
How do they hold up? I assume its a copy.
"Copy"?
You...do know where half the stuff made for our cars comes from...

Same as guys I have seen on other forums who strongly say "I'll never[ buy Chinese made stuff!"...
To which I reply "Really? Then don't look too close at the end of the box that your dinki-di you-beaut Aussie car parts came in...you might be in for a shock..."

I remember when we had a Landcruiser looking at snorkels. At the time a snorkel from places like ARB and other "Aussie" makers was about $600+ not including fitting. Now of course they're a hell of a lot cheaper. Someone put me onto a 4x4 manufacturer in Hong Kong that sold to the public, and a snorkel from them was $190 plus about $20 shipping. They offered "any amount from one to a container full at better prices".
Someone on a four wheel drive forum spotted that the one for a third of the price straight from Hong Kong had the same part number and looked exactly the same as the locally available one from a large well known supplier.
Old 29-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
"Copy"?
You...do know where half the stuff made for our cars comes from...
Yes and you do know 20% of China's workers are in manufacturing counterfeit stuff. Different levels of quality. There are counterfeit Rollex watches that are half the price of the real thing and cannot really be picked as a counterfeit.

But I'm sure you believe the cheap Chinese stuff is 100% quality checked, built correctly and has had lots and lots of testing. Were just getting ripped off.

I was asking the poster for experience on the product as it could be a good back up.

BTW you can get Safari snorkels in the UK for $100. Made in Australia. Its up to the individual if they wanna pay for it here.
Old 29-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #21
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Yeah, I had to buy an alternator a couple of weeks ago.

Ford price- Somewhere in the $800 range
Employee price- I think $540
A Jaylec one that my brother ordered for me- $330

It's an absolute joke.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #22
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My turbo diesel BMW,

Front crank pulley destroyed itself, $900+ GST thru BMW.
Bought one out of Poland for 120 Euro plus freight.

EGR cooler $1200+ gst from BMW ex Germany.
Bought one second hand from the UK for 50 pound plus freight, all is good 10,000km later.

I'm all for supporting local businesses and jobs but when they take the **** like this...

In saying that the water pump was $300 incl GST from BMW and these are about 100 Euro online so by the time freight and exchange rate is calculated there was not a lot of difference except I could fall back on the local dealer if anything was wrong, so it does pay to shop around locally first.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #23
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Just remember, the guy behind the counter doesn't get to set the prices. Even our buy prices are insane and if we sold everything at flat cost we still can't compete with a lot of aftermarket suppliers.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
Camrods
Starter Motor

I work for Toyota, a while ago a mini cooper was sold to used cars so as the roadworthy it had a service and brakes replaced. The right spec oil from BMW was $175 for us so ~$250 retail and front/rear brake pads and discs was $900 so ~$1200+ retail. ******* insane for a little piece of ****.
Camrods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #25
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camrods View Post
I work for Toyota, a while ago a mini cooper was sold to used cars so as the roadworthy it had a service and brakes replaced. The right spec oil from BMW was $175 for us so ~$250 retail and front/rear brake pads and discs was $900 so ~$1200+ retail. ******* insane for a little piece of ****.

That's cheap. Price up brakes in a proper high end merc. Can be $20k plus just for pads and discs.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #26
TuneUpsnSuch

A question from over here/yonder. Are your manufacturer prices influenced much by tax and tariff?
TuneUpsnSuch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2015, 03:22 AM   #27
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is where boat people/asylum seekers go wrong.

They turn up with nothing. So, we get offended up lock them up in detention centres.

If they're gonna spend a couple of months on a boat then they might as well swing by China and load up on cheap car parts.

Forget the detention camps. Welcoming party at every harbour.

Likewise with drug dealers. Idiots. They should smuggle car parts instead of drugs.

Anyway. Back to our regular broadcast.
www.cabloid.com.au
4 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneUpsnSuch View Post
A question from over here/yonder. Are your manufacturer prices influenced much by tax and tariff?
Once upon a time different parts had different taxes like bumper bars would have more taxes applied than control arms and the like. That's no longer the case but imported parts do still suffer from import taxes and fees.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #29
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
My turbo diesel BMW,

Front crank pulley destroyed itself, $900+ GST thru BMW.
Bought one out of Poland for 120 Euro plus freight.

EGR cooler $1200+ gst from BMW ex Germany.
Bought one second hand from the UK for 50 pound plus freight, all is good 10,000km later.

I'm all for supporting local businesses and jobs but when they take the **** like this...

In saying that the water pump was $300 incl GST from BMW and these are about 100 Euro online so by the time freight and exchange rate is calculated there was not a lot of difference except I could fall back on the local dealer if anything was wrong, so it does pay to shop around locally first.
A workmate has a Z3, and the driver's armrest came loose from a plastic tab breaking.
Called BMW, who said that's not a replaceable part, and that he'd have to buy an entire new door lining - which needed to be ordered from Germany, with a 7 week wait time, for $1600.
He brought it in to work, we pulled the trim off, and about 20 minutes later, with a new stainless nut and bolt, it was fixed, and you'd never know it was broken. Probably stronger than OEM too.

So when someone later decided they needed one of the centre caps off his wheels more than he did, he didn't even bother asking BMW, and went straight to a wrecker.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
staity

Try the Bump Stops on the rear of a BF falcon, dealership wanted $230 for a pair. Found aftermarket mob Aussie company that offered them $40 a pair delivered.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post