Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Victorian b&w plates

Does anyone know what the b&w plates are I've seen them mainly on luxury cars and and SUV's are thet re-issuing original b&w plates for a large some or is this some new fashion thing amongst the well healed I only noticed the plates towards the later part of this year I looked on the vplates web site but didn't find the info I was after.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
stig_3754

Default Re: Victorian b&w plates

Just an educated guess, but I believe they're just the new general issue slimline plates. My niece got a new Golf recently and it came with these plates.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Yep General Issue Plates with no stupid **** **** **** slogan as why ruin your car with that when your not paid to advertise

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My thinking these are personlised number plates as the new victorian plates start with a number.

My brother just purchased a BMW and has plates starting with AA and are black and white. I am pretty sure these are personalised plates, but he has not checked it out.

I just found info on Vicroads site.

https://www.vplates.com.au/slimline-black

Last edited by xisled; 17-12-2015 at 12:49 PM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
snopony

Not sure if they go by the same name in Vic, but in Sa the black and white slimlines are called Premium if you are looking to restyle online.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
GetToTheGone

They are just reissued slimline plates. I just got some for my ute as I thought they looked better.
took in my old plates and was handed a set out of the cupboard. $150
New plates start with "AFI"
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Lego
Starter Motor

Yep you can just order them when you purchase your new car. I got them for my XR 8, for an extra 60 or so bucks from memory. Mine was registered in July and are "AFB..." I think they look a lot better, especially on the front. A mate just bought a 1 series BMW and apparently the dealer only fits the slimline white on blacks on cars sold by them.
Lego is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I got them on my new Territory. They are just standard issue slimline black and white plates.
They cost me around $150 extra but I think it's worth it for a much cleaner look.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

With these plates you cant get the standard size plate for the rear, which better suits the Falcon etc. And you can't choose letters/numbers.

$150 seems a bit steep for a reissue B&W plate where you can't choose the letters/numbers.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Black slim line plates.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
With these plates you cant get the standard size plate for the rear, which better suits the Falcon etc. And you can't choose letters/numbers.

$150 seems a bit steep for a reissue B&W plate where you can't choose the letters/numbers.
I thought it was a pretty good deal, a decent whack cheaper than personalised plates and look loads better than the standard version. Plus I'm not big on personalised plates anyway, just a bit of a **** imo

I bought a set for my VF Calais V8, and got handed a pair starting with AFM. Now I look like some kinda GM tech geek
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I thought it was a pretty good deal, a decent whack cheaper than personalised plates and look loads better than the standard version. Plus I'm not big on personalised plates anyway, just a bit of a **** imo
Years ago you got the B&W plates as general issue, with no slogans, for no extra cost.

We have come a long way since haven't we, with the horrible looking general issue plates we have now, with the letter number combos that dont make any sense and more difficult to remember. Why didn't they make them more attractive?

Vicroads like finding ways to extract more money out of car owners.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Progress......
Old 17-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post

I bought a set for my VF Calais V8, and got handed a pair starting with AFM. Now I look like some kinda GM tech geek

I'm with you. I was given the option of a personalized plate to suit my Territory for free. But still chose to pay for standard issue black and white plates.
Old 17-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Vicroads like finding ways to extract more money out of car owners.
Wait until they follow NSW's lead and privatise their numberplates.

Not only do you get stung almost as much as VIC personal plates, but you have to pay an annual fee starting at $102 for the privilege.

https://www.myplates.com.au/
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #16
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Wait until they follow NSW's lead and privatise their numberplates.

Not only do you get stung almost as much as VIC personal plates, but you have to pay an annual fee starting at $102 for the privilege.

https://www.myplates.com.au/
And is it only coincidence the standard issue NSW plates are (or were?) that horrible mustard yellow colour? Doesn't leave much choice but to pay the price for personal plates if you want your car to look good does it.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #17
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point. Until the early 80s they were a mustard yellow (non reflective) then late in the Kxx-### range they changed to the reflective yellow that still graces us today.

The first few years (late K, L & M prefix) saw them weather badly, so lots have been exchanged over the years.

I always used to laugh at the "Victoria - on the move" slogan - friends moved interstate, and the kids drew on the back of the truck, after the slogan "to Queensland"

Every time I see a VIC plate with that slogan it reminds me of it.

Some of the slogans are just outright ridiculous - like "The smart state" which is far from it...

And now we have fleet companies & car dealers advertising on the bottom of the plates - Meguirs paint cleaner made short work of that on the last fleet car I had - I'm not paid to advertise for them so off it went. Like these plates:
http://fleetautonews.com.au/myplates...nd-your-fleet/

The SG one in the pic is like what I had. Other colleagues took it upon themsleves to use a permanent marker to write "UN" in front of the word "intelligent"
Old 18-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are not general issues plates.

That being said you can not choose the combination and you can retain them like personalized plates. General issues plates you can not retain.

Old 18-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
They are not general issues plates.

That being said you can not choose the combination and you can retain them like personalized plates. General issues plates you can not retain.

In Victoria general issue plates can be retained by you, there is a way as I have done it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
In Victoria general issue plates can be retained by you, there is a way as I have done it.
Yeah they can be, you turn them in and they you place an order for them to be personalised.
Old 18-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Yeah they can be, you turn them in and they you place an order for them to be personalised.
Never handed them in, I have the original & black & whites plates in my procession which is reserved in my name , only will pay when I decide to fit them on vehicle which I have not yet, Vic Roads works in mysterious ways at times.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #22
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they look soo much better than any other standard option, $35 for vic the edumacation state 1ab2ac place. $95 for there 1ab2ac slimline or 150 for a decent looking option
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
warpsp33d

In SA, you can get similar plates in a special premium letter/number range.
http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/ezyplates/..._number_plates

I got white on black for my white G6E, I'm very happy with how they look. Much better than standard plates. The slim-line on the front really fits well.

I made the dealer throw them in at no extra cost when I bought my car ;)
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman View Post

they look soo much better than any other standard option, $35 for vic the edumacation state 1ab2ac place. $95 for there 1ab2ac slimline or 150 for a decent looking option
I bought these over 35 years ago for $25. And they are my initials so they mean something. The front one has been replaced since with a slimline for $20. Non reflective. Doesn't cost me anything to change them over as the dealers pay for that.

These are reissues from registrations back in the 1940's and early 1950's.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 19-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #25
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Yep, the optional B&W slim lines look so much better than those poxy gen issue standard plates. I seriously hate the current numbering format of 1AA 1AA.

I have a set of reissue B&W plates which have meaning to me which will hopefully one day be attached to a Ford. The Mitsi daily ain't worthy of them. Besides, it has its own identity, the plates on it were my Mum's last ones.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #26
Carrion

Thumbs up Re: Victorian b&w plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post

I have a set of reissue B&W plates which have meaning to me which will hopefully one day be attached to a Ford. The Mitsi daily ain't worthy of them. Besides, it has its own identity, the plates on it were my Mum's last ones.
I have my fathers last plates. NSW plates with black background and white text. 2 letters 3 numbers. These are the original personalized plates for NSW. They are 40 years old.
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #27
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ And when they first released them, you could choose the letters, but not the numbers.

Then when they went to 2 letters 4 numbers, they opened it up to choose your entire combo.

My uncle got lucky with his initials & 351 after them (he had a yellow manual 351 XC ex-cop car at the time) and when they went to 4 digits he got the same combo with an extra 1 on the end for his ute - so his initials & 3511. Looked good in the driveway together (until he sold the XA ute & put them on a WB 1-tonner.....)
Old 20-12-2015, 12:43 AM   #28
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still have the original B&W plates that came with my 1976 coupe . They look somewhat different to the reissue B&W plates. The car is on club permit but the the combination is unavailable ( on reserve) and the plates are in my study, cos you just never know if you have to go back
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #29
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
I still have the original B&W plates that came with my 1976 coupe . They look somewhat different to the reissue B&W plates. The car is on club permit but the the combination is unavailable ( on reserve) and the plates are in my study, cos you just never know if you have to go back
Good thing you held on to those Tony, the font on the originals is different to the reissues and IMO look better.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #30
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
On the subject of general issue plates, I had to laugh when I saw this. At least they're fitted to an appropriate vehicle.
If I ever got plates like that I'd be down to Vic Roads at 9am the next morning getting them swapped over.

The funny thing about that is if you requested that lettering they wouldn't allow it in NSW

Don't know about VIC
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post