Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
Rob1964

Default FPV sales almost stagnant

I keep an eye on carsales like some would on the stockmarket and can't help but notice how hard it is to move a car. Ok there are a number of factors I believe. 1. Ford marketing has done a superb job of drip feeding special and limited editions over the last decade culminating in the Sprint to bleed everyone of their hard earnt. 2. The state of the economy? I'm in Perth and there ain't a lot of money being thrown around for cars. How's the East coast economy going ? Someone has snapped up all the Sprints. I'm yet to see one in Perth. If you ask me there's bargains to be had on later model cars at the moment.
Rob1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 02:27 AM   #2
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FPV sales almost stagnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1964 View Post
I keep an eye on carsales like some would on the stockmarket and can't help but notice how hard it is to move a car. Ok there are a number of factors I believe. 1. Ford marketing has done a superb job of drip feeding special and limited editions over the last decade culminating in the Sprint to bleed everyone of their hard earnt. 2. The state of the economy? I'm in Perth and there ain't a lot of money being thrown around for cars. How's the East coast economy going ? Someone has snapped up all the Sprints. I'm yet to see one in Perth. If you ask me there's bargains to be had on later model cars at the moment.
I'm guessing, the cars are thrashed (and asking too much). When i bought my GT-P, there were a couple for sale then, that still are today (one switched hands from a private to a dealer, but still for sale). One of them wouldn't even send me pictures when requested about some issues that were supposedly fixed. Still currently for sale (and still currently too high a price for the condition)

Theres an F6 R-Spec thats still for sale from dec last year, was originally 33k firm, now dropped to 28 something, but its still not worth that with all the aftermarket crap put on it.

This car should be a steal at this price, but its been up for months
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3954362/?Cr=6
If i hadn't already bought my car, this car would be in my garage.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do wonder what will happen with values.
As a general rule, once a unique model ends and is not replaced, the values tend to hold a little better.
I think regular Falcons will drop almost as normal, but values will plateau quicker, especially once the ex-fleet ones stop coming to market.

I really wonder about the V8's. Gotta be honest, I worry a few people will get burnt with the Sprints. Problem is they were horrendously overpriced for what they are, and eventually the novelty of them being "the last V8" will wear off, and they will come back to market. Ultimately cars are priced on a continuum, and they'll all have to find their place there.
Best time to buy one is when everyone around you is laughing at them, writing them off as some campy old dinosaur. Maybe in around a decade? At that point, buy some at insurance auctions, wrap em in plastic and stick em in your barn for your grandkids.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Because most of the people are dreaming about the value of their cars and are pricing them in a way that they must not be wanting to sell them. It is almost impossible to look through carsales at what people have their cars advertised for without laughing.
Old 25-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not worried about devaluation on my Pursuit being the last ever V8 supercharged ute ever.There is nothing to replace this car,not that i will ever sell it as i use it as a daily drive.My concern is if it happens to get writen off what the hell will i replace it with.There are only 3 on car sales all used ,small ks but all over $60,000 thats more than new price but if any ford will hold there value i think it will be these utes.
Old 25-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not worry those utes will be for sale for a long time.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

This car should be a steal at this price, but its been up for months
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3954362/?Cr=6
If i hadn't already bought my car, this car would be in my garage.

I'd say at that price you'll be able to keep your current car for a couple of years, sell it and then buy that one.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Rob1964

Yeah definitely not too many sellers willing to drop their prices to meet the market. Another thing I notice is that insurance companies don't hesitant in writing these cars off! And with the amount of inattention out there on the roads this could gradually have an impact on numbers. In saying that there's still the majority of FPVs that wouldn't see day to day peak hour use.
Old 25-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^
Advertise your car on Carsales and add 20% to the sale price..............Carsales has always generally been a poor barometer for what these sort of cars are actually trading hands for imo.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
I'd say at that price you'll be able to keep your current car for a couple of years, sell it and then buy that one.
29k is what i paid for mine in Feb/Mar with the same k's. Although mine is a MkI with factory sunroof. His is MkII with the 302 motor!

Seems about right on price i thought, not a dreamer
Old 25-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I keep wondering how many of those GTF's on Carsales advertised at near or over $100,000 are actually selling, or selling even close to those prices.

There are about 10 GTF's on Carsales currently advertised for close to or over $100,000.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
vixf6

I think I saw someone trying to get 150 odd grand on carsales for a 2012 R-spec one of those red/black versions, I think after a while he dropped it to 100, you can only try I guess, you never know. Might struggle to fix the computers/electronics/icc in 15 years on any of these late model cars.
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
Rob1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
^^^^
Advertise your car on Carsales and add 20% to the sale price..............Carsales has always generally been a poor barometer for what these sort of cars are actually trading hands for imo.

Cheers Mick
I generally look at the number of cars for sale in each FPV model for example there's 71 F6s for sale and really hasn't fluctuated for months. Whether we like it or not depreciation is going to take its toll . Depends how desperate you are to sell I guess.
Old 25-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just sold my 2012 R-Spec for very close to what I was asking for it. Took around 2 to 3 months to sell.
Old 25-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazawaki View Post
I am not worried about devaluation on my Pursuit being the last ever V8 supercharged ute ever.
Except for the Maloo R8 LSA
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #16
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixf6 View Post
Might struggle to fix the computers/electronics/icc in 15 years on any of these late model cars.
I doubt it will be a significant issue. It's not as if these cars use space-age electronic systems. Even the most serious issue would make light work for the average auto electrician or even a general electronics repairman.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
vixf6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I doubt it will be a significant issue. It's not as if these cars use space-age electronic systems. Even the most serious issue would make light work for the average auto electrician or even a general electronics repairman.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11448721
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #18
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Because most of the people are dreaming about the value of their cars and are pricing them in a way that they must not be wanting to sell them. It is almost impossible to look through carsales at what people have their cars advertised for without laughing.
Shoe on the other foot here , but there's also plenty of buyers expecting they can pick up a one owner , fully specced , super low Klm , unmolested , full Bremboed and unmarked paint example for 10k.....

its still a buyers market for sure.....but there are dreamers on both sides.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #19
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im looking for a 335 GT, so I know every FPV for sale atm, a couple of car yards offering cars as one owners but after doing my own research ive found this not to be the case, so struggling to trust dealers and the private cars are generally 5 to 7k dearer . Mainly looking in SA and VIC. Am I dreaming thinking I can pick up a 335 with under 80,000km for 40k with good history? WA cars are in the ballpark but cant seem to track down the history plus the freight can be costly.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #20
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixf6 View Post
Just because one guy had a problem, doesn't mean it will be a major issue for everybody in the future. I am confident I will personally be able to fix any issue that comes up with my car. I regularly work on laptop/tablet/smart phone main logic boards which are far more complex and typically require more "expert" tools than a BF ICC.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #21
GT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51 View Post
Im looking for a 335 GT, so I know every FPV for sale atm, a couple of car yards offering cars as one owners but after doing my own research ive found this not to be the case, so struggling to trust dealers and the private cars are generally 5 to 7k dearer . Mainly looking in SA and VIC. Am I dreaming thinking I can pick up a 335 with under 80,000km for 40k with good history? WA cars are in the ballpark but cant seem to track down the history plus the freight can be costly.

I've been watching for months as well, they seem to be holding there value, well people are budging much. You can get a fgx xt8 for what price/kms your looking at.

I like the xr8, newer tech, r-spec Gt basically, but looks very plain, whilst a Gt 335 just looks the business, just that its older than the xr8, plus it's a Gt.

What would others buy a fgx xr8 or Gt 335 for the same price?
Old 25-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #22
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT014 View Post
I've been watching for months as well, they seem to be holding there value, well people are budging much. You can get a fgx xt8 for what price/kms your looking at.

I like the xr8, newer tech, r-spec Gt basically, but looks very plain, whilst a Gt 335 just looks the business, just that its older than the xr8, plus it's a Gt.

Out of those 2 I would get the GT 335 (But id take an FG F6 above either)... For the Look and the fact its an FPV... But mostly because I bloody love the look of FG FPV's...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #23
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Except for the Maloo R8 LSA
Different beast if I spent the extra $30,000 extra on my pursuit that one of these cost well there wouldn't be anything that would get near it.
Old 25-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #24
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT
Shoe on the other foot here , but there's also plenty of buyers expecting they can pick up a one owner , fully specced , super low Klm , unmolested , full Bremboed and unmarked paint example for 10k.....

its still a buyers market for sure.....but there are dreamers on both sides.
I think genuine buyers know what it should cost. The dreaming part is probably just having 10k and hoping for a car thats too good to be true in that bracket. I went in knowing what the GT-P would cost (and had my top dollar price, which happened to be the sellers lowest price after my counter offer). Everyone walked away happy (well, i drove away happy, and he was standing in his driveway with tears in his eyes)

Quote:

I check them daily, just to see where they're at. And also to laugh at the morons asking 40k for an 06 F6 with a tune.

I'd take the GT over the XR8 any day, although i dont particually like FG/FGX shapes hence why i bought a BF.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #25

Smile Re: FPV sales almost stagnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazawaki View Post
Different beast if I spent the extra $30,000 extra on my pursuit that one of these cost well there wouldn't be anything that would get near it.
Well said!
208260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #26
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Sold my fg f6 ute recently for 3k more than I paid for it 2 years earlier.
It was for sale for 48 hours on carsales . I priced it to be the cheapest for the year/k's and got the asking price.
Never had trouble selling any car like that.
Old 26-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #27
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

GT all the way, when I get one she's a keeper. Missed out on the chrome bumper GT's when they were affordable, don't want to make the same mistake now. Have been in love with the GT ever since I saw my first brambles red XW when I was 7 yrs old, was a great era to grow up watching the great A.M Winning Bathurst in those monsters.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #28
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
For me, if buying a car now, it's a no brainer: Brand new XR8 over a used 335 GT that's most likely out of warranty and has a potentially undisclosed history. However if I had a 335 GT already, I'm not sure if I would sell to upgrade to an XR8, but definitely won't sell if it's an R-spec or GTF.

I had an FG1 GT, 7 year old car, which I traded in for a new XR8 last month, zero regrets so far. These are just cars, and cars have become consumables these days. An FPV is still a Ford Falcon at the end of the day, and there's not much I miss from my old GT, sometimes you just move on.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #29
Rob1964

Yeah I'd go GT over XR8 anyday. I just think modern era muscle cars reached their peak with the FPV 335s and F6s other than the GTFs that is. After that things were toned down in the bells and whistles and looks department with the FGXs. FPVs have that personal individuality about them. Not to mention that balls out front end presence. Kinda reminds me of my old shaker. It demands attention.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #30
Doreturnonfoot

About 18 moths ago f6 on csales were around $31k - now sellers are asking about $35k. If I had the coin i reckon I'd be lookn at a te50 instead.
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: