Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Toyota 70 Series Landcruiser Update

The workhorse 2017 Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series will come packing some much-needed safety equipment fitted as standard, the company has confirmed today, while also benefiting from extensive local testing.

Scheduled for launch in the fourth quarter of this year, the 2017 Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series gets an upgrade to Euro 5 emissions compliance for its 4.5-litre V8 turbo-diesel engine.

For the new model year, all variants will be equipped with stability control and traction control, hill-start assist, trailer sway control and electronic brake-force distribution (EBD).

Toyota is also expecting the single-cab variant, the most popular option in the range, to have its ANCAP safety rating upgraded to a full five stars – compared to three for the wider 70 Series family – thanks to driver/passenger curtain airbags and driver’s knee airbags being added to the existing complement of two front airbags.

Toyota’s official announcement of the updated 70 Series range follows a statement made by the company last September – that a significant safety upgrade should see the new model achieve a five-star ANCAP safety rating for the first time – and confirms the details of our recent report that outlined some of the upgrades for the 2017 model-year.

According to the Japanese car maker, Australian engineers subjected the updated Landcruiser 70 Series to over 100,000 kilometres of testing in some of the country’s harshest conditions, with around 70 per cent of this testing conducted off-road – from corrugated dirt roads to rugged cattle properties with severe washouts.

In addition to the safety upgrades, the new 70 Series range will be fitted with new injectors for better low-down engine response, and the manual transmission has been revised to improve fuel economy, and lower noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels.

A stiffer frame with thicker side rails will further increase overall refinement, Toyota says, while also improving handling and stability.

Tony Cramb, Toyota Australia’s executive sales director, said the updates were made possible by a substantial commitment of engineering resources and investment by the company in Japan and in Australia.

“The upgraded 70 Series Landcruiser range builds on this iconic vehicle’s fit-for-purpose appeal with improvements that reinforce its heavy-duty abilities, durability and unapologetically rugged character,” he said.

“At the same time – it receives important safety and emissions updates that are required by many customers – as well as regulators – to enable Toyota to continue selling the 70 Series in the Australian market.”

While no pricing has been announced yet for the updated 70 Series Landcruiser, expect those details to be released closer to the model’s fourth quarter launch in just over a month’s time.

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/456946/2...IIPLEWuRfFZ.99

Last edited by csv8; 18-07-2016 at 09:10 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Toyota 70 Series Landcruiser Update

The true spirit of Toyota. Make the same car since 1982, band-aid fix it as the years go by, profit. Why innovate? Perhaps if Ford Aus still made X-series Utes and Wagons with underpinnings from 1982, it would be profitable and never close down.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Are these common rail or old school diesel?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Are these common rail or old school diesel?
Common rail, a heap of my customers have these things.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

So much for the talk a few years ago that Toyota was going to dump these things because they weren't going to be able to engineer them for a 5 star safety rating.

Having to endure these things at work, I can't believe people still buy them. Especially for the price they pay.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The true spirit of Toyota. Make the same car since 1982, band-aid fix it as the years go by, profit. Why innovate? Perhaps if Ford Aus still made X-series Utes and Wagons with underpinnings from 1982, it would be profitable and never close down.
Yeah but if it still does the job and doesn't fall to bits why change the recipe, is change for the sake of change or because the other brand did a good thing ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
So much for the talk a few years ago that Toyota was going to dump these things because they weren't going to be able to engineer them for a 5 star safety rating.

Having to endure these things at work, I can't believe people still buy them. Especially for the price they pay.
A bloke I work with just paid 70 grand for one. It wasn't the top of the line GXL either. No electric windows, cruise control or central locking. Toyota rubbing their hands at how fools and their money are easily parted in this part of the world.

The fact these can obtain a 5 star safety rating makes a joke out of the whole ANCAP system.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Yeah but if it still does the job and doesn't fall to bits why change the recipe, is change for the sake of change or because the other brand did a good thing ?
So what you're saying is they made a perfect vehicle, which they can't improve no matter how hard they try. They really can't improve safety, technology, fuel economy, power, torque, off-road performance, handling, towing, hauling? There's not one thing they can improve and any change would be just for the sake of change? That's what Toyota would try to have you think. "Well that's what makes them so reliable!" Ok I guess.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

at 50k for a gxl id buy one.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
If Ford thought this way, imagine what cars we would have. Imagine an 2016 Falcon still wearing bodywork from the 1961 XK, with new headlights, and optional turbo 6 or supercharged v8 under the hood . However some cars would still be appealing if they were made today. But speaking of outdated cars, if Toyota can sell this antique and bring it up to modern crash safety and emissions, and still sell it for an unrealistic price, surely they can resurrect the Supra and just keep pumping out the 1993 model forever. What is their excuse ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
LUV DE COUPE

They sell
LUV DE COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad i just got mine pre update.

DPF - pass! horrible crap.
Smaller fuel tank - no thanks!
Extra airbags - ok but makes modifications harder.
TC - ok if done well but not essential
Taller 5th gear - about the best improvement but can live without.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If Ford thought this way, imagine what cars we would have. Imagine an 2016 Falcon still wearing bodywork from the 1961 XK, with new headlights, and optional turbo 6 or supercharged v8 under the hood . However some cars would still be appealing if they were made today. But speaking of outdated cars, if Toyota can sell this antique and bring it up to modern crash safety and emissions, and still sell it for an unrealistic price, surely they can resurrect the Supra and just keep pumping out the 1993 model forever. What is their excuse ?
You make a good point, but still you have to admit, it was a pretty robust product to start with, and for its intended use it sorta fit for purpose.
I can remember driving rental spec non turbo hilux's about a decade a go they where very agricultural, but at the same time if you where a farmer or someone that just wanted a tuff commercial vehicle that was pretty bullet proof but bouncy and slow when unloaded but would last forever, it fitted the bill even if it was pretty horrible as a daily driver .
As for the supra, it was still a pretty good bit of gear, the top model supra had a good drivelines, at one stage it held the record for having the biggest brakes on a production car, and the build quality was imo a step above a lot of its competitors,
I have an earlier model parked about 15 feet away from me as we speak , the earlier model supra while not the performance pinnacle of the supra , was really a nice bit of gear with equipment worthy of a lexus , even by today's standards while it looks is age in the interior , it is still a very nice place to be for a thirty year old car with electronicly adjustable suspension, electric seats, and probably still has some gear the locals still don't have today, folding and ultrasonically cleaned mirrors on some models , etc, etc.
Dare I say it, if the top jz model was re released, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them sold .

Sent from Galaxy Note 4
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #14
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post

How is the new rig? Should start a build thread to compete against softy
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #15
2002au
Define definitive

The sound they make tho. Soooo good.

Remindes me of an old v8 mack.
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #16
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Dont muck around wiff it; get fairdinkum:

......Oh, sorry - 80 Series.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #17
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post

A few of the cockies out here who bought them want the old 6's back.
They all say the V8 is a POS.

Anyone who has the 6 is constantly fending off offers to buy them.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
A few of the cockies out here who bought them want the old 6's back.
They all say the V8 is a POS.

Anyone who has the 6 is constantly fending off offers to buy them.
I've heard that too. I never got the drive the old 6, but we have a few of the V8's I drive regularly.

A 6th gear would have been better, but the adjusted 5th gear will do. I'd actually love to own one of the these, given the road and terrain out here but the fuel economy kills me. At least I'm not paying for the work cars fuel!

They're everywhere out here and I'm ok with Toyota just leaving it for the past 35 years. Why mess with a good thing unless you have too? Bearing in mind that it's a workhorse, not a luxury highway cruiser...
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dad bought one in '92 with the updated 4.2 and it was useless as well.
500 litre diesel tank on the back and it struggled to do 80km/h downhill with a tailwind. Chewed through enormous amounts of fuel doing it.

I think the gearbox might have been a legacy of that motor, if you wanted any sort of power you stayed in 4th and revved the guts out of it.

It became decent when they decided to put a turbo onto that motor.

I will have to ask the guys exactly what is wrong with the V8 in their opinion as all I hear is stay away...not why.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 04-07-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #20
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have their market place - be it feeding out in 1 low in a rather large paddock,
or hauling an AA gun in the tray around the back streets of your favourite Middle eastern war zone.

Middle of cities, not so much.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Dad bought one in '92 with the updated 4.2 and it was useless as well.
500 litre diesel tank on the back and it struggled to do 80km/h downhill with a tailwind. Chewed through enormous amounts of fuel doing it.

I think the gearbox might have been a legacy of that motor, if you wanted any sort of power you stayed in 4th and revved the guts out of it.

It became decent when they decided to put a turbo onto that motor.

I will have to ask the guys exactly what is wrong with the V8 in their opinion as all I hear is stay away...not why.
Naturally aspirated diesels suck. I wouldn't touch a diesel without a turbo and an intercooler.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #22
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I see the people crying for change, more refinement, more technology, etc etc

If you want all that, DO NOT buy a commercial vehicle.

There is still a market for commercial grade, 1 tonne capable vehicles with off road capability.

Adding technology, refinement, refinement, etc is NOT good for commercial vehicles, all it does is weaken a good product and restrict its real abilities.

The ONLY reason Toyota is adding the safety crap to Landcruisers is to satisfy the WHSO jobsworths in the mining industry who would prefer to bubble wrap the world instead of drilling into the boneheads that "If you CHOOSE to do something stupid, it WILL either hurt or kill you"
Old 05-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like they fixed two of the three things I didn't like. No cruise control, too short fifth gear. The only thing left is the crappy high beam - but most fit driving lights anyway.

I know it's not designed for the urban sprawl but I find them more fun to drive in traffic than many other cars.

I cannot believe they could make it 5 star ANCAP, those new
stronger chassis rails must make the difference

Probably a good investment. Buy one and keep it for a few decades.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #24
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I see the people crying for change, more refinement, more technology, etc etc

If you want all that, DO NOT buy a commercial vehicle.

There is still a market for commercial grade, 1 tonne capable vehicles with off road capability.

Adding technology, refinement, refinement, etc is NOT good for commercial vehicles, all it does is weaken a good product and restrict its real abilities.

The ONLY reason Toyota is adding the safety crap to Landcruisers is to satisfy the WHSO jobsworths in the mining industry who would prefer to bubble wrap the world instead of drilling into the boneheads that "If you CHOOSE to do something stupid, it WILL either hurt or kill you"
Agree.

I love cars that are in a way "fit for purpose". The Land Rover Defender and Jeep Wrangler would also be labelled thus.

What I can understand is why are these cars so dam expensive.
Why does a 30 odd year old ute that has long ago paid for its major investment and is only mildly updated every now and then cost upwards on $60K?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #25
fps_grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Agree.

I love cars that are in a way "fit for purpose". The Land Rover Defender and Jeep Wrangler would also be labelled thus.

What I can understand is why are these cars so dam expensive.
Why does a 30 odd year old ute that has long ago paid for its major investment and is only mildly updated every now and then cost upwards on $60K?
Well:

Quote:
Imagine an 2016 Mercedes-Benz G-Klasse still wearing bodywork from the 1979 G-Wagen, with new headlights, and optional bi-turbo V8 or bi-turbo V12 under the hood . However some cars would still be appealing if they were made today. But speaking of outdated cars, if Toyota can sell this antique and bring it up to modern crash safety and emissions, and still sell it for an unrealistic price, surely they can resurrect the Supra and just keep pumping out the 1993 model forever. What is their excuse ?
Let me fix that for you.

Aside from tweaked suspension, modern creature comforts, three electronically-locking diffs yada yada.

Quote:
The JDM-only Toyota Century luxobarge (mmmmm luxobarges) fits that description somewhat too.
Toyota reliability is what actually sells.
There are very wealthy people who would rather buy a 200 series Toyota Landcruiser than something like an Aston Martin because they want to pay big dollars for nothing but top reliability and relatively longer design life, actual or perceived rather than a supposedly impractical sports/supercar.