Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
xr8cam

Default Idiots on mobile phones

Driving home from the shops a couple of weeks ago after detailing the AUII XR8 for a few hours. Sitting in the left lane doing the limit for a change and BANG. The person used my passenger side as a brake to stop them rather than the metal thingy with the rubber pad on it.Theyshot straight through a T intersection. I am 99% he was on his mobile which he denies, but my car has been declared a write off. All those years of driving pleasure gone, I get $7000 back for a car that cost 6 times that. I appreciate cars devalue but surely when the insurance company sees it is as good as condition as it was when I bought it the driver should be able to sue the party at fault for emotional distress. What the f..k do I do with $7000. Next time you see anybody using a mobile when they drive, give em a gob full and tell your mates its a sh.t go. Just pull over 7 txt or ring up. I am 48 nest month and we didnt have these when I was a p plater, better times.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Default Re: Idiots on mobile phones

It's not just P platers. I see more 30+ year olds driving around on the phone than P platers where I live. People just don't care, don't care they are endangering their own life let alone others. If you gave them a gob full they would either laugh at you or abuse you. No way it will ever stop, the punishment could be jail time for using them and people would still do it.
Joel. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I followed a lady driving over the queensborough bridge into NYC playing Pokemon. The lass would have been 55. Gave me the bird every time I honked her when the cars infront moved and she didn't.
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
superyob
Banned

But, but, but I need to do something so important on my phone right now, while I am driving my weapon! Look. I'm afraid my need to pay attention to phone pixels outweighs your right to not have me slam into you and maim or kill you. Take your hate crimes somewhere else...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

If as the government says, using mobile phones while driving is as dangerous as drink driving then why don't the penalties reflect that.

In my opinion a 6 month licence disqualification for a first offence as a start will get the bulk of people thinking.

I've been rear ended twice by people on the phone and it is really my pet hate.

Yeah I know, you need cops on the road as roadside cameras don't pick up offenders so therefore the Government doesn't make huge revenue from it which is just hypocritical when they push safety as their reason for being so heavy handed on speeding but go soft on phones.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I don't get is people using the phone when I know their new car will have Bluetooth.

Then you see ones using hands free, but they are still holding it.. as if that makes it better?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Driving home from the shops a couple of weeks ago after detailing the AUII XR8 for a few hours. Sitting in the left lane doing the limit for a change and BANG. The person used my passenger side as a brake to stop them rather than the metal thingy with the rubber pad on it.Theyshot straight through a T intersection. I am 99% he was on his mobile which he denies, but my car has been declared a write off. All those years of driving pleasure gone, I get $7000 back for a car that cost 6 times that. I appreciate cars devalue but surely when the insurance company sees it is as good as condition as it was when I bought it the driver should be able to sue the party at fault for emotional distress. What the f..k do I do with $7000. Next time you see anybody using a mobile when they drive, give em a gob full and tell your mates its a sh.t go. Just pull over 7 txt or ring up. I am 48 nest month and we didnt have these when I was a p plater, better times.
Just another days driving hazard from motorists, now you know why the police get frustrated.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Police can find out very quickly if he was on his phone if you need them to.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Police can find out very quickly if he was on his phone if you need them to.
They would not bother with this matter & no they won't tell you.
Old 27-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

First off I'll say that this really sucks and I feel for you because I've been in the same situation myself. It irritates me to no end when I see somebody busy on their phone instead of paying attention to driving. Just imagine if you had been a motorcyclist or a cyclist rather than in a car - it could have been a fatal crash just because the other driver was busy talking to another brainless twat on the phone.

I simply hate selfish people that think their pointless conversation is more important than the safety of others. There is a youtuber called AdjrianNickelodeon who rides around Sydney telling people off when they are on the phone and puts the videos up for the whole world to see.

Hopefully with $7k you will be able to get another XR8 (even an AUIII XR8 with the 220kw engine) but I understand that there is no replacing a car that you've had for so long. They're getting hard to find in good condition as it is.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

That really sucks. It happened to my brother a few years back. He then had a vq caprice that was a v8 and in pretty good shape.. t boned by a young french backpacker on an international licence on a long distance call. The max the car could be insured for was 4g. Cost 8. Was worth 8 because unlike most holdens from 92, everything worked
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Haha. I lane split up here in Qld now that I am legally able to and the amount of times I see this is infuriating.

So I get right along side the window said of offending driver, I grab a handful of clutch, and a handful of the throttle and hit the 18,500 limiter of the bike. Colloquially known as "rev bombing".

And let me tell you, they literally drop their phones in shock, and by the looks on their faces as they snap their heads around to me, they have also defecated themselves.

I then point to my helmet camera, a then do the terminator finger side to side while shaking my head.

They then sheepishly look back to the road.

I then post said vids to YouTube.......
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't stand these idiots. When people used to not go on a green light (like 2-3 times a year) I would give them a quick beep. Now its like 2-3 times a week (or a day sometimes) and I usually hold the horn until they move if I can see their head tilted down.

Had a guy in a purple XR6 in front of me driving really slow weaving from side to side. Suddenly his driving improved and he was driving properly. As we came up to a roundabout he moved into the right turn lane, when I came up next to him I saw him as clear as day grab his phone from down near the manual gear stick. He had the passenger window down so I yelled out "put it down" or something along those lines. He looked so offended. Like how dare I tell him not to drive dangerously while approaching a roundabout. He was only on the busiest road in the city, no big deal.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
.:4:.
Kicking back

[QUOTE=Revolver;5776338]Haha. I lane split up here in Qld now that I am legally able to and the amount of times I see this is infuriating.

So I get right along side the window said of offending driver, I grab a handful of clutch, and a handful of the throttle and hit the 18,500 limiter of the bike. Colloquially known as "rev bombing".

And let me tell you, they literally drop their phones in shock, and by the looks on their faces as they snap their heads around to me, they have also defecated themselves.

I then point to my helmet camera, a then do the terminator finger side to side while shaking my head.

I then post said vids to
Atleast you aren't the fool who attempted to lane filter past me this morning... he had the wobbles, knocked my passenger mirror forwards, and smashed the lense on the driver's mirror of the hi lux beside me. What a top bloke..
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Atleast you aren't the fool who attempted to lane filter past me this morning... he had the wobbles, knocked my passenger mirror forwards, and smashed the lense on the driver's mirror of the hi lux beside me. What a top bloke..
Oh, look it is a risk. Don't get me wrong. In 18 months I have clipped a mirror. And I mean only just. But by the time I realised I was 5 cars ahead at the lights on a 3 lane main road in Brisbane, with no where to pull over and apologise or exchange details. And it didnt put my off course at all, and hit another car, well it was a semi trailer actually.

Problem is, guys think they can fit, and try to do it, even at speed. And get caught out. If I don't think I'm gunna fit I slow right down, and crawl to the mirrors. It's all about confidence, judgement and spacial awareness, which some people just don't posses no matter what the commute in.....
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 27-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
His word over yours
Unless police were involved and checked his phone, then cant do much.

As for insurance, try to always do the Agreed Value and not Market Value

Sucks man.
Can you get the car back at all? and maybe use as a donor to another AU XR8
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver
Haha. I lane split up here in Qld now that I am legally able to and the amount of times I see this is infuriating.

I then post said vids to YouTube.......
Good work. Do you have a link?
Old 27-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I was rear ended a few months ago in the Ghia. I had noticed a p-plate young girl driving rather strangely behind me. We were only crawling in heavy traffic, <30kmh. I could see her in my rear view mirror, constantly looking down, then up, then down...I knew she was texting on her phone. I then came to a stop in the traffic. I then looked in my mirror and I KNEW she was going to hit me, well before it happened. She just wasn't paying attention. I was so certain that I banged my horn on to try to get her attention, but sure enough, she hadn't noticed the traffic was stopped, and drove right into the back of me.

Suffice to say I was furious. I got straight out of the car, shouted at her, "were you on your ******* phone"?? She was in shock from the bump, but I knew she was. She denied it. I told her I had seen her looking down all the time. She claims her brakes were making a weird noise. Of course...

She tried to get me to do the repair on the side, not through insurance, as she had none herself, and coudln't afford to pay it. Told her tough. That's what I pay premiums for.

In the end it cost her over 2 grand. But the back end looks far better than it did before the bump

I drive 175km a day, and EVEY DAY I see someone on their phone texting, not paying attention. And not being sexist, but more often than not, it's a female driver. Men seem to talk on their phones more. Females seem to text more.

Every time I see someone, I pull alongside and gesture to them, to shame them, or just show them how much of a fool they are.

/rant
Old 27-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #19
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
Good work. Do you have a link?
I do, been awhile since I've uploaded. Life has gotten in the way. I have plenty of footage. It's just finding the time to edit it. Which takes a ton of time.

https://youtu.be/dp-vQOLu6Cs

And 15mins of me finding people on their phones, and the appropriate launguage it engages. Not one for when the kiddies are around:

https://youtu.be/wvFAUpNtp9A

If YOU use your phone while driving, yes YOU who is reading this, I suggest you click on that second link. There is a heartfelt message in there from me in between rants. Listen, think and take heed.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Get ready for much more of it now ride sourcing is legal....

Bad enough with Taxi drivers and Cops looking at screens all day...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #21
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
I do, been awhile since I've uploaded. Life has gotten in the way. I have plenty of footage. It's just finding the time to edit it. Which takes a ton of time.

And 15mins of me finding people on their phones, and the appropriate launguage it engages. Not one for when the kiddies are around:

If YOU use your phone while driving, yes YOU who is reading this, I suggest you click on that second link. There is a heartfelt message in there from me in between rants. Listen, think and take heed.
Couldn't agree more with everything you have said. It's ridiculous what you see on the road. I use to road ride (bicycle) and it was incredible the stupidity. Yeah some of it is people just being di#ckheads but alot of the time I'd be completely cut off, at intersections, round abouts etc. Or be ran nearly off the road, when you look at the driver they are on the phone not even aware that you are there. When you are on a motorbike or a bike or even a pedestrian you are vulnerable. What would be a fender bender or even a write off in a car equals death or serious injury on a bike. Dad rides motorbikes and he is in disbelief after basically every ride.
Old 27-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #22
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a truck drive straight through a 2 lane roundabout with the phone up to his ear when I was on the roundabout turning right in front of him. Lucky I stopped as he barrelled through like he owned the road with his phone up to his ear. He only got another 400m at most down the highway before I got in front of him and stopped him in the middle of the Princes Highway.

Do yourselves a favour and buy a 2 channel dash cam (front and rear).I've had one on the F6 for 2 years. The front and rear camera is basically invisible. It's a 'blackvue' and not cheap but it's priceless. I've just ordered another one for our new little run around car. You can have footage downloaded onto your phone from the camera in about 1 minute flat ready to send anywhere - it's got built in wifi. It also records when your vehicle is parked.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 27-09-2016 at 10:13 PM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

Good work, you would make Adrian Nickelodeon proud!
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #24
xr8cam

Quote:
It's not just P platers. I see more 30+ year olds driving around on the phone than P platers where I live. People just don't care, don't care they are endangering their own life let alone others. If you gave them a gob full they would either laugh at you or abuse you. No way it will ever stop, the punishment could be jail time for using them and people would still do it.
Apparently younger women are the major offenders along with 18-35 yo's running as close 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express
If as the government says, using mobile phones while driving is as dangerous as drink driving then why don't the penalties reflect that.Agree also, a car is a lethal weapon at speed but people drive around txting, playing with the "look at me" sorry, stereo and talking. Not all of us drive powerful cars but I know when I drive mine I need to be totally focused or the back ends up overtaking the front for some strange reason.

In my opinion a 6 month licence disqualification for a first offence as a start will get the bulk of people thinking.
Couldn't agree more with you.
I've been rear ended twice by people on the phone and it is really my pet hate.I reckon your on to a good thing with a 6 month ban. There is also the argument that people will drive regardless so hit em in the hip pocket, say $3000 first offence + paid in 3 months.

Yeah I know, you need cops on the road as roadside cameras don't pick up offenders so therefore the Government doesn't make huge revenue from it which is just hypocritical when they push safety as their reason for being so heavy handed on speeding but go soft on phones.
Old 28-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #25
xr8cam

Quote:
Couldn't agree more with everything you have said. It's ridiculous what you see on the road. I use to road ride (bicycle) and it was incredible the stupidity. Yeah some of it is people just being di#ckheads but alot of the time I'd be completely cut off, at intersections, round abouts etc. Or be ran nearly off the road, when you look at the driver they are on the phone not even aware that you are there. When you are on a motorbike or a bike or even a pedestrian you are vulnerable. What would be a fender bender or even a write off in a car equals death or serious injury on a bike. Dad rides motorbikes and he is in disbelief after basically every ride.
When I moved to Sydney in the mid 90's I continued to ride my Ducati 1000 for 6 months before I sold it. I was nearly killed so many times it became nothing but stress. My reference to Sydney is the volume of traffic,state of roads,speeding and the tail gating. It is much less in other cities obviously because population dictates road use. We all need to think of our actions all the time because every action has two outcomes.
Old 28-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

After watching your videos it will be a matter time before you will come to grief, grow up.
Old 28-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
After watching your videos it will be a matter time before you will come to grief, grow up.
Was waiting for someone to say it, honestly, tells others to concentrate on the road whilst peering sideways and making hand gestures into the car next to you.
I bet they tremble at the Arnie impersonations.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
What I don't get is people using the phone when I know their new car will have Bluetooth.

Then you see ones using hands free, but they are still holding it.. as if that makes it better?
This is exactly what I was going to say.... It does my bloody head in... If your freaking car has inbuilt Bluetooth then bloody use it... If not, either ignore the call/sms or pull over and sort it out....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
I had a truck drive straight through a 2 lane roundabout with the phone up to his ear when I was on the roundabout turning right in front of him. Lucky I stopped as he barrelled through like he owned the road with his phone up to his ear. He only got another 400m at most down the highway before I got in front of him and stopped him in the middle of the Princes Highway.

Do yourselves a favour and buy a 2 channel dash cam (front and rear).I've had one on the F6 for 2 years. The front and rear camera is basically invisible. It's a 'blackvue' and not cheap but it's priceless. I've just ordered another one for our new little run around car. You can have footage downloaded onto your phone from the camera in about 1 minute flat ready to send anywhere - it's got built in wifi. It also records when your vehicle is parked.

Dashcams are awesome.

A few dropkicks on this forum think dashcams are for people trying to start youtube channels to shame people, but so many people have dashcams these days that if that were true youtube would be full of it.

My dashcam saved me an insurance excess and saved my premiums from increasing. The camera has paid for itself multiple times over.
I have never put any of my footage on Facebook or youtube. Not even the video of my crash.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #30
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Haha. Ok. Fully grown up mate. At least I am actually doing something about it. Making people aware not to be so damn ignorant. Probably didn't watch my other vids. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Was waiting for someone to say it, honestly, tells others to concentrate on the road whilst peering sideways and making hand gestures into the car next to you.
I bet they tremble at the Arnie impersonations.
Obviously never watched Terminator 2 have you. It's Robert Patrick that swings his finger from side to side.... Not meant to intimidate. Meant to educate. I am FULLY aware of what's going on around me when I do it. Don't do it all the time, plenty of times of let it go because something else has demanded my attention, or reaction......
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Last edited by Revolver; 29-09-2016 at 08:41 PM.