Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2022, 03:27 AM   #1
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone Miss -

That time not long ago :

# before covid 19

# prior to Russia Invading Ukraine

# before Russia threatening the world with nukes when doing badly in a conventional war with Ukraine

# when Grifter Trump eroding democracy in America by inciting insurrection was not reality

# before America going **** weak and having a leader in sleepy Joe who cannot play a game of poker with Puttin

# When there were not this proliferation of revenue speed cameras

# When a bloke could be happy being a hairy armed dirty handed bloke doing bloke things like ripping a powerful engine and chewing rubber, working on their car on the road, fishing, shooting guns, appreciating the fairer sex cause thats what a guy does, and not having to second guess how to behave to be politically correct

AND - when the highlight was going to the magazine stand and combing through the auto mags when new hero models of Falcons and Commodores were in design phase, engineering planning phase and then coming out and finally the performance testing and then if concluding they were horn how they hell you could get one .

God I miss those days....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 07:00 AM   #2
GTMOND

Default Re: Anyone Miss -

Yeah the magazine collection I had was enormous. Ahh yes a much simpler life. I miss those days for sure. Only wish my kids grew up in that era with minimal technology to run your life.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
That time not long ago :

# before covid 19

# prior to Russia Invading Ukraine

# before Russia threatening the world with nukes when doing badly in a conventional war with Ukraine

# when Grifter Trump eroding democracy in America by inciting insurrection was not reality

# before America going **** weak and having a leader in sleepy Joe who cannot play a game of poker with Puttin

# When there were not this proliferation of revenue speed cameras

# When a bloke could be happy being a hairy armed dirty handed bloke doing bloke things like ripping a powerful engine and chewing rubber, working on their car on the road, fishing, shooting guns, appreciating the fairer sex cause thats what a guy does, and not having to second guess how to behave to be politically correct

AND - when the highlight was going to the magazine stand and combing through the auto mags when new hero models of Falcons and Commodores were in design phase, engineering planning phase and then coming out and finally the performance testing and then if concluding they were horn how they hell you could get one .

bloody well said and yes I miss them too, so much so I am not going to read the PC posts that are to come after yours
Old 01-03-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Well at least now we all have a life time supply of N95 dust masks on hand for that next sanding job.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

News is very disposable these days, floods in Brisbane have pushed covid talk off the front page…..
It’s like the media hops onto the next disaster and closes the books on the one that’s talked to death…
Sorry for being captain obvious but these day of instant news……oh look the sun is out, what a lovely day…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
kenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
News is very disposable these days, floods in Brisbane have pushed covid talk off the front page…..
It’s like the media hops onto the next disaster and closes the books on the one that’s talked to death…
Sorry for being captain obvious but these day of instant news……oh look the sun is out, what a lovely day…
Funny (not funny really) but I said to my wife last night when seeing all those people in evacuation centres - if they haven't gone through enough already they will probably get Covid after being crammed into those centres, just what they need.
kenj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
Yeah the magazine collection I had was enormous. Ahh yes a much simpler life. I miss those days for sure. Only wish my kids grew up in that era with minimal technology to run your life.
I had a magazine collection that dated back to the early '70s.
About 5 years ago, I loaded 250kg of waste paper into the back of the ute, and went to the dump.
Collectors items you say ?
Nope, no interest from social media adverts, despite being free.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don’t worry, Soon you will own nothing and be happy. Some old, rich German guy said so. Just look forward to the good things. ��
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I miss the Hume when it was fun (before the dual highway)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I miss the Hume when it was fun (before the dual highway)
I remember that road, there are still glimpses of it in places, a very scenic route
Old 01-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #11
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenj View Post
Funny (not funny really) but I said to my wife last night when seeing all those people in evacuation centres - if they haven't gone through enough already they will probably get Covid after being crammed into those centres, just what they need.
It was noted on another Forum that the SES is rejecting offers of assistance from people who are not vaccinated. It is not the SES's fault, just a stupid Government rule - I would have thought rescuing people would be too important, but anyway, I digress
Old 01-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I remember that road, there are still glimpses of it in places, a very scenic route
It was if you had time to look, but nearly all of my travelling on it was at night and there wasn't much to see then
Old 01-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
It was if you had time to look, but nearly all of my travelling on it was at night and there wasn't much to see then
Sorry Gas, I walking about the route being scenic now, my apologies
Old 01-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
It was noted on another Forum that the SES is rejecting offers of assistance from people who are not vaccinated. It is not the SES's fault, just a stupid Government rule - I would have thought rescuing people would be too important, but anyway, I digress
The “common sense” approach is surely to say there wasn’t sufficient time to verify such details, if this story is true. (I note it’s a variation on the “pious fool” tales.)
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

I miss the old school jobsite banter. It still exists with the old blokes, sense of humour can take the **** out of themselves but can take a joke towards them. But the young crowd, they have feelings. Not just the only real feeling, physical pain, but emotions or some crap.
I was working with a young apprentice and he was struggling with a task so i showed him how to do it. He said that was quick. My response was 'you sound like my ex wife'. Yes it was a joke and all but he was shocked i could make a joke about myself. On another site one of the tradies said thursday will be a long one (talking about overtime) so i said i suppose i better call my penis thursday, the apprentice chimed in saying thursday is TAFE to him. Another bloke chimed in asking the apprentice why does he call his penis TAFE? Followed by another tradesman saying because he need to be taught how to use it. The apprentice got upset about whats in my view and that of others is a friendly joke.
If you cannot joke about yourself you shouldnt joke about others in my book, but really, in this day and age young people are way to sensitive.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A female apprentice has just started in the workshop I sometimes (not so often now) haunt. I’m putting quids on it not ending well, for reasons such as you outline.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Ah memories ?!
Should merge the Panelvan thread lol......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I miss the old school jobsite banter. It still exists with the old blokes, sense of humour can take the **** out of themselves but can take a joke towards them. But the young crowd, they have feelings. Not just the only real feeling, physical pain, but emotions or some crap.
I was working with a young apprentice and he was struggling with a task so i showed him how to do it. He said that was quick. My response was 'you sound like my ex wife'. Yes it was a joke and all but he was shocked i could make a joke about myself. On another site one of the tradies said thursday will be a long one (talking about overtime) so i said i suppose i better call my penis thursday, the apprentice chimed in saying thursday is TAFE to him. Another bloke chimed in asking the apprentice why does he call his penis TAFE? Followed by another tradesman saying because he need to be taught how to use it. The apprentice got upset about whats in my view and that of others is a friendly joke.
If you cannot joke about yourself you shouldnt joke about others in my book, but really, in this day and age young people are way to sensitive.

hehe even though I work in an office environment, I find that if you have meetings with boomers and aged over, you gain trust and respect a lot quicker if you are liberal in your language and expression

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #19
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A female apprentice has just started in the workshop I sometimes (not so often now) haunt. I’m putting quids on it not ending well, for reasons such as you outline.
One of the fire companies i worked around on site when i was an apprentice had a female apprentice, she could dish it out harder then the boys. To be fair, no body dished it back out of the you cant do that thing to females.
I used to light heartedly joke around with clients a bit, but only when i was on a social level and knew them well enough to know their sensitivities and the line. I had a good client who was a greek lady, she was telling me how she loves to cook but cannot do greek dishes. She slapped me, in a friendly way, when i said greek is easy. You get the lamb and put it on a stick.
One of the best instances was with a building manager who liked to joke around but was going on holiday, so running the temp manager through the processes of that building. So, one of my collegues got sent a job there to look at a faulty hand dryer and had already spent hours getting nowhere. That bloke wasnt the sharpest used needle in a public sandpit.
So he called the office and asked specifically for me to come out. So upon sign in i was introduced to the temp.
Fixed it in 2 minutes and went back to report. My mate the building manager knew i was going to be a smart ***, but doing her job the temp asked what was the issue?
So i asked did she know a person who walks up to auto doors and they never open? She said yes. I said hand dryers are the same. They only work for people with souls. So the building manger was laughing when the temp called me a ****ing idiot. So i backed down and said it was soap scum build up on the sensor. The building manager said to the temp, see, 2 minute job, he is good at what he does.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
There used to be a saying,
" Today's news is tomorrow's fish and chips wrapper"

But then they decided the ink was detrimental to out health, so got butchers paper instead.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #21
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
There used to be a saying,
" Today's news is tomorrow's fish and chips wrapper"

But then they decided the ink was detrimental to out health, so got butchers paper instead.
Speaking of which, I really miss the days when fish and chips was wrapped in newspaper. When chips tasted like real chips, and fish was delicious. None of this bright yellow fake plastic covering that they now call "batter".

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 04:00 PM   #22
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why? Because her co-workers are arseholes and bullies?

I started out in Mining in the 80's. It was NOT a fun place. Full of Racists, Arseholes, Bullies, and Alcoholics.

Taking the **** out of each other is something you do with Mates, not with strangers, and definitely not your subordinates.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, they’re dinosaurs.

I think softening up an apprentice should be a rite of passage but limited to the obviously silly - sent for the bucket of weep holes, prop wash, long weight etc. Not harassment or physical assault (like vise-grips on the tackle when they’re lining up an assembly).
Old 01-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #24
Kicking back

None of the left handed screwdriver crap, or striped paint business. Being a sparky id send the new apprentice to get a box of fallopian tubes.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #25
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Well at least now we all have a life time supply of N95 dust masks on hand for that next sanding job.
I can't get through them fast enough.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #26
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
That time not long ago :

That was such fun. Can't say I'm half as interested now, even though things are faster. Is it true that being constantly on the tech has seen depression rising in the young?

I still surf and surfing is still what it was, you go out, it's in nature so there are risks, you get to go fast and have that whole adrenaline experience. And I've shared this with my kids and have that awesome experience of introducing them to rock jumps, big waves, etc. Those days haven't changed. However, we've been inundated with camper vans, though. And coastal places are now like the inner suburbs of cities filled with Rangey's and Audi's and BMWs as the riche cotton onto the fact that if you are going to spend time in life, it might as well be surfing.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #27
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
i've seen a few working with the fitters at work. . . ...... havn't seen em for awhile now!?
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 09:02 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I've got a couple female colleagues and they're worse than me with swearing, everything is my favourite four letter 'highly offensive' word - Gen Z women are next level, one of them is our 'large weekend' specialist

I find it's the oldies who are a bit sensitive to offensive language.

There's incentives to hire female apprentices and you can positively discriminate for it specifically (In VIC). Women are at an advantage in auto trades, they've got physically smaller frames than men, smaller hands, arms, they fit in more places which every millimetre counts when you're elbow deep in engine bay
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 09:17 PM   #29
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m all for workplace equality, but Miss Fortune will be starting out under the thumb of people who’ve pretty much made their own rules over the last two decades. My role there is covering the gaps when parts need researching/buying in other languages, having working copies of cracked/indy software that cut deeper than the latest scan tool in the kit and being able to skim forums rapidly when looking for commonality with a new problem.

Also the others have no real automotive hobby leanings, so the stuff that’s long-dead in trade school but handy to know now and then - like side draught carbs or dual points distributors - don’t get handed down.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I’m all for workplace equality, but Miss Fortune will be starting out under the thumb of people who’ve pretty much made their own rules over the last two decades. My role there is covering the gaps when parts need researching/buying in other languages, having working copies of cracked/indy software that cut deeper than the latest scan tool in the kit and being able to skim forums rapidly when looking for commonality with a new problem.

Also the others have no real automotive hobby leanings, so the stuff that’s long-dead in trade school but handy to know now and then - like side draught carbs or dual points distributors - don’t get handed down.
Thats an industry wide problem, due to driving down of wages over the past 5 years, its why people like myself are all leaving or have left the industry in droves. You just get all the 'its just a job' people left without the initiative to provide solutions.

Houses prices only going up, Maccas and automotive industry wages don't buy apartments or houses, its a 'sunset' industry.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-03-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post