Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Question CPU overheating.

Hi guys, I need some assistance.
Everytime I try to burn a dvd or make a movie with Pinnacle Studio my CPU temp skyrockets to 73c and freezes or resets the pc. It doesnt do it when i'm writing to a DVD, just when i'm reading it via DvdShrink etc.
Its done it everytime I try to make a movie with Studio Plus whether it be an Avi, Mpg or VideoCD.
The normal running temps are Cpu-47c/MB-31c with ~30c ambient.
I'm running a 3.0ghz P4 with Asus P4C800 and Zalman 7000 HSF.
I have 2 exhaust fans at the back, 4 inlets at the front (2 of which are blowing on the HDD ) and 2 on the PSU.

It doesnt overheat on a cool night.

Its really giving me the shits cause I cant do anything during the day.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Underclock it?
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take the side off and point a fan at it
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

clean out all the dust and crud out of your HSF, get some decent thermal compound (Artic Silver whatever) or better yet, get some liquid cooling

Last edited by xceler8shun; 28-01-2005 at 02:42 PM.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

check the cpu chip & heatsink, sometimes it gets full of fluff etc.
undo the fan, use an old toothbrush & comb away any crap from the fins. The fan blades also get noisey from being out of balance from crap also.
If this fails, do what Fairmont99 suggested or its time for a cooling upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

First... what kind of Pentium 4 is it. Is it a 3.0GHz 512kb L2 cache "Northwood" or a 3.0GHz 1MB L2 cache "Prescott" ?

If it's a Northwood.. then I can't really understand what's going on.. 47°C normal operating temp is way too hot for a Northwood. If it's a Prescott.. well, that's understandable.. I like to call those "Preshot" because.. they are very hot.

If it is a Prescott.. and you're experiencing this kind of heat... you might want to get this heatsink...

http://pccasegear.com.au/prod798.htm

Thermalright SP-94

and this fan to go with it

http://pccasegear.com.au/prod1494.htm

Thermaltake UFO Fan

The fan is awesome.. comes with a speed controller.. 1300 to 3600rpm adjustable. At 1300rpm its 17dBA and 26.8 CFM and at 3600rpm its 47 dBA and 81.2 CFM. So... somewhere in the middle would be a good speed to run it at, both for your ears and CPU.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Thanks guys.. ok here goes.

- Its a Northwood
- Ive taken the side off and pointed a fan at it but the Cpu temp stayed the same and Mb temp went up 2c.
- I have thoruoghly cleaned out the fins and fan and put thermal paste (thermaltake I think) on when I installed the Zalman. I did try going back to the stock HSF and the results were the same only alot noisier.
- I've already upgraded the heatsink... the Zalman is still near the top of the line HSF.

When I first built it the temp used to be cpu-29c/mb-21c ..... I'm not sure when exactly but it has gradually just gotten hotter. Maybe I should go back to a thermal pad instead of paste?
Old 28-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Thanks guys.. ok here goes.

- Its a Northwood
- Ive taken the side off and pointed a fan at it but the Cpu temp stayed the same and Mb temp went up 2c.
- I have thoruoghly cleaned out the fins and fan and put thermal paste (thermaltake I think) on when I installed the Zalman. I did try going back to the stock HSF and the results were the same only alot noisier.
- I've already upgraded the heatsink... the Zalman is still near the top of the line HSF.

When I first built it the temp used to be cpu-29c/mb-21c ..... I'm not sure when exactly but it has gradually just gotten hotter. Maybe I should go back to a thermal pad instead of paste?
No way!!! Pad's are shockers. That's extremley hot for a Northwood. I'd personally get the SP-94. If that didn't fix it... I'd start looking for a new CPU.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Maybe its my videocard.... thats the only thing Ive changed in the past year. I went from a GeForce Ti4800 to a Radeon 9600XT.... it seems thats around the time it started having problems..
Old 28-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

I can't see how the videocard would affect the CPU temperature.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Maybe the upgraded Video Card uses alot more power then the old one, so the PSU is not supplying enough volts and is making the system overheat?
Old 28-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #12
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I can't see how the videocard would affect the CPU temperature.
If it was stuck in the fan so it couldnt turn.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
Maybe the upgraded Video Card uses alot more power then the old one, so the PSU is not supplying enough volts and is making the system overheat?
I'm using an Antec Truepower 550W, so if thats not providing enough power I dont know what will. hehe

Maybe the 9600XT uses the cpu more.... or is that not the case these days?

Just in case i'm going to put the old card back in and see.... it cant hurt.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I got a 9600XT, and I got a 2.8 prescott and mine doesnt overheat at all so I doubt yours would and I got a P4P800 which is real similar to your board, different chipset though

Last edited by M14A-Mclaren; 28-01-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

hmmmm if it overheats when the DVD is actually burning, then i'd suspect a faulty PSU, because that is when it uses the most power...even a Antec Truepower 300W should able to handle that machine, they are very good PSUs.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you lower the voltage it becomes less stable but cooler.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #17
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

could you possibly try disabling the video acceleration, thus stopping the video card overheating? (if that has anything to do with it)

I haven't much experience with northwoods, but since it's a P4, underclocking it to say 2.5Ghz really wouldn't impact on performace a great deal. At least it'll be usable.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #18
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
hmmmm if it overheats when the DVD is actually burning, then i'd suspect a faulty PSU, because that is when it uses the most power...even a Antec Truepower 300W should able to handle that machine, they are very good PSUs.
It doesnt overheat when burning... only when its reading/encoding/compressing.
Old 28-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #19
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
If you lower the voltage it becomes less stable but cooler.
No, it becomes less stable and hotter.
Old 28-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #20
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
It doesnt overheat when burning... only when its reading/encoding/compressing.
Because the reading/encoding/compressing is using the cpu more then the other aplications....

open task manager check the cpu load with different applications. I have a program for testing cpu cooling efficinecy. Its called CPU BURN. if you would like it to run tests ill email it to u... PM me your email if u want it.

check HS and fan if all is working properly then its going to be a case of a faulty CPU.

The newer pentiums are screwed for temps... the amd 64 range are leagues ahead.

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #21
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

someone mentioned underclocking it. good advice, underclock it a little drop the volts a tad and test it

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 28-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #22
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
someone mentioned underclocking it. good advice, underclock it a little drop the volts a tad and test it
That will lower temps for sure but who wants to go slower :P

Quote:
No, it becomes less stable and hotter.
Have you even ever changed the voltage on a CPU and monitored the temp? do you have any idea what you are talking about? _

I have a better suggestion though, go AMD :
Old 28-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #23
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

try this ;)

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #24
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Have you even ever changed the voltage on a CPU and monitored the temp? do you have any idea what you are talking about? _
We aren't talking about changing the voltage to the CPU, We are talking about changing the voltage to the whole system. When a Motherboard is not getting enough power from a PSU It starts to run other devices at a slower speed, or turn them off all together, so that the vital parts of the computer can run at the speed that the BIOS has requested them to...This is why alot of people with stability problems get them once the computer has been running for a while... they'll run thier computer fine, then they'll try to access a CD Drive, which tries to power up, the system loses voltage, looses stability due to lack of voltage, and the whole system goes screw that and halts. Now you're wondering what this has to do with heat...1) A overloaded PSU will run lot hotter then one which is supplying good voltage, and Fans. Fans are like CPUs, they run slower when you turn the voltage down, and run faster when you turn it up.

However this isn't the problem here, the Antec 550W will run this type of system with ease, unless it is faulty.
Old 28-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #25
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

that thing is awesome DK, how much is it overclocked? assuming it is overclocked hence the need for that thing
Old 28-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #26
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We aren't talking about changing the voltage to the CPU, We are talking about changing the voltage to the whole system. When a Motherboard is not getting enough power from a PSU It starts to run other devices at a slower speed, or turn them off all together, so that the vital parts of the computer can run at the speed that the BIOS has requested them to...This is why alot of people with stability problems get them once the computer has been running for a while... they'll run thier computer fine, then they'll try to access a CD Drive, which tries to power up, the system loses voltage, looses stability due to lack of voltage, and the whole system goes screw that and halts. Now you're wondering what this has to do with heat...1) A overloaded PSU will run lot hotter then one which is supplying good voltage, and Fans. Fans are like CPUs, they run slower when you turn the voltage down, and run faster when you turn it up.

However this isn't the problem here, the Antec 550W will run this type of system with ease, unless it is faulty.
actualy the original post was reffering to was in gact saying to drop the cpu volts and you replied saying it would make it hotter and that is wrong. Lowering the volts will always make a cpu cooler if it is stressed.

hence his reply, maybe you should have been a little more descriptive.. i thought the same thing as he did but i didnt say it :P

Old 28-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #27
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Donut King]try this ;)

image removed
same as above

ahh yes similar to my old system... water cooling is ok but is only as effieciant as what the ambiant lets it be... Hence why i didnt use it for my new system... FX- 53 ...X800 XT PE ect ect

Last edited by Laminge; 28-01-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 28-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

If you really want cooling... try this...

P4 3.0GHz running at -15°C anyone?
Old 28-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #29
FordFan86
meow

Quote:

image removed
same as above

Yes please
Put me down for 2 :P

Last edited by Laminge; 28-01-2005 at 08:43 PM.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #30
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:

Is that because it wouldnt run and the cpu wouldnt be under any stress?

Last edited by M14A-Mclaren; 28-01-2005 at 08:36 PM. Reason: deleted picture