Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default The Big Joke Cross City Tunnell

Are the owners crazy?When did Ronald McDonald call the shots? This road is ridiculous.These spongers did not even put a toll booth under there.This road is supposed to be fully automatic and cashless.Well they did make it cashless Because people arent using it and neither am I!!

I see them on TV crying "oh noone is using the road" Get with the program guys.I have loose change but i dont have a dicky pass to suit you.In my businesss even chicken eggs are welcome as payment!!
Does anyone use this road?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

not rotten or cracked eggs though!!

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, that's not the best point of opposition to this tunnel. Most city workers have etags, and additionally by only accepting tags and charging admin fees, they circumnavigate wages and other costs associated with toll booth and staff.

What is really %$^ed is that a private consortium was able to convince the RTA to change it's roads to accomodate the tunnel, and actually hamper and distrupt alternate routes to such extent that people either sit in a half hour long traffic jam or pay another $3.63 toll.

Since when should a government allow another party to convince a changing of public transit options for financial gain? If anything, you could almost say there is some form of corruption at play. Forget the NRMA whinging - we need the ICAC.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

i really want a job with accc or icac . i bet they have nice gymnasiums there.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
...What is really %$^ed is that a private consortium was able to convince the RTA to change it's roads to accomodate the tunnel, and actually hamper and distrupt alternate routes to such extent that people either sit in a half hour long traffic jam or pay another $3.63 toll.

Since when should a government allow another party to convince a changing of public transit options for financial gain? If anything, you could almost say there is some form of corruption at play. Forget the NRMA whinging - we need the ICAC.
Well said.

How many ministers & public servants were wined & dined over this?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres more to the crss city tunnel fiasco than meets the eye, you should have heard Alan Jones getting stuck into Joe Tripodi on the radio this morning :
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Either way we get milked like cows... : Stay in traffic you pay go through the tunnel you pay...at least you see the sunshine upstairs!!

Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven on it, it's not even a smooth sealed road, looks like Ku-ring-gai council was involved in it's construction in some way.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i really want a job with accc or icac . i bet they have nice gymnasiums there.
I know ASIC is wedged in with Macquarie Bank at No. 1. Martin Place - they have a fitness first down stairs
:ymca: :
Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I've driven on it, it's not even a smooth sealed road, looks like Ku-ring-gai council was involved in it's construction in some way.

Ha ha! theres a truth! You need a landrover to navigate our road in Wahroonga....Hmm, nice affluent area with high rates but a sealed road surface? No way!

I drive all over Sydney/NSW (I'm a rep) and I have never yet used the cross city tunnel and have no plans to. I can't just collect a tag so, in turn, they can't just collect money from me! This is not difficult to avoid for me either. Frankly, I was stupidly under the impression that the tunnel would be more extensive than it actually is........they will reap exactly what they originally sowed....

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

im sure that the government would get a % of the money from the cross city tunnel

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS99 Ute man
im sure that the government would get a % of the money from the cross city tunnel
They certainly would. Some could even call it a kickback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Ha ha! theres a truth! You need a landrover to navigate our road in Wahroonga....Hmm, nice affluent area with high rates but a sealed road surface? No way!
We need to justify our land yachts someway! Round Ku-ring-gai, mummy really does need a range-rover to avoid the potholes on the way to soccer practice!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

you'd be laughin if you owned even just 1 toll booth in sydney or anywhere for that fact. i could retire at 20!

XLS Falcon Ute
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims

Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Aren't they also trying to block more roads in the city to try and ferry cars into the cross city tunnel? It should be a reasonably priced (geez, I think it should be free) alternate route if they expect drivers to use it. Don't we have a levy on fuel prices which is meant to pay for our roads!?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

well you would think if the tunnel is there to ease traffic congestion, they would leave all roots open, so you can choose different paths for whatever reason.
having that tunnel should be a gift from the government from all the traffic fines we have paid over the years
oh and NO TOLLS!

XLS Falcon Ute
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims

Old 07-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS99 Ute man
you'd be laughin if you owned even just 1 toll booth in sydney or anywhere for that fact. i could retire at 20!
I like this mans thinking.You and me mate...Oceania Tollbooths pty ltd// "the friendly tollbooth company"

Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #17
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Get an Etag.

I can't wait for the Harbour tunnel to become coinless. I'm sick to death of getting caught behind people fumbling for change. The RTA really need more than one dedicated Etag lane, it's ridiculous.

You know you are going to go through a toll before you get on the road. Get the change ready before you leave.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #18
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Does Etag's apply to the Sydney Bridge yet,or is it still a toll by paying by cash ?
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #19
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Does Etag's apply to the Sydney Bridge yet,or is it still a toll by paying by cash ?
Cheers John
Hi John

No, coin baskets are still the majority on the Bridge. It's crazy that Sydney still persists in cash tolls, I really can't understand it. Every time the State Government suggest that cash is a thing of the past the civil libertarians scream loudly about how not every one has a visa card etc. Strange that Victoria can get away with it with a smaller population than Sydney.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 AM   #20
gtfpv
GT

once upon a time your and my taxes used to pay for roads as they are used by the public.now the fu*king governments allow them to become owned by privateers.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #21
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redebxr8
Theres more to the crss city tunnel fiasco than meets the eye, you should have heard Alan Jones getting stuck into Joe Tripodi on the radio this morning :

Not to mention what john laws said...very funny...cracked me up.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #22
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
Strange that Victoria can get away with it with a smaller population than Sydney.
It's also amazing that Melbourne has glorious roads like the Western Ring Road and the road to Geelong that are between 3 and 5 lanes wide and are FREE. Only the Citylink is tolled.

Yet the incompetant knobs here toll us for everything and think that 2 lanes is enough in this day and age. A big Yay for Labour.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #23
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
once upon a time your and my taxes used to pay for roads as they are used by the public.now the fu*king governments allow them to become owned by privateers.
Because it's the cheaper option for them, there is no outlay for the Government.

I heard tonight on the news that not only is William street in Sydney is going from a 6 lane road to a 2 lane road (designed purely to get people into the cross city tunnel) but Oxford Street which is another major road is going to a single lane each way.

What is going through these peoples minds? Surely it's Clover Moore's way of stopping cars from entering the city.

My Website

Last edited by Jamie XR6; 08-10-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Can't spell after a glass of red
Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 AM   #24
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:
Lets make the streets of Sydney worse so we can get a kickback from a tunnel we didn't really need that much in the first place.

As you may have noticed, my blood is boiling on this topic.

If only NSW actually had a viable opposition to our current government. Pity J Bro had too big a night out in August.

Its not as if William street has only 2 lanes. Oh wait, what do you know, it does now.....

Who in their right minds at the RTA and City of Sydney took the whole "it will ease congestion" line from the tunnel JV owners? (Please tell me, I have a friend doing the whole Amway thing, I need to send them to someone who's gullible) Their creating further congestion in the city now to force people into the tunnel! What's the logic in that.

And if only the toll was a little more respectable - say 50 or 60 cents, not 3.63 indexed for inflation! Thats just under 20c per 100m.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #25
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
It's also amazing that Melbourne has glorious roads like the Western Ring Road and the road to Geelong that are between 3 and 5 lanes wide and are FREE. Only the Citylink is tolled.

Yet the incompetant knobs here toll us for everything and think that 2 lanes is enough in this day and age. A big Yay for Labour.
I'll be the first to admit that I really don't like Melbourne as a place to visit (personal view only) but the roads are fantastic. It's so easy to get from one place to another. For me the only other place that beats it is Tassie and WA.

My Website
Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #26
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Get an Etag.

I can't wait for the Harbour tunnel to become coinless. I'm sick to death of getting caught behind people fumbling for change. The RTA really need more than one dedicated Etag lane, it's ridiculous.

You know you are going to go through a toll before you get on the road. Get the change ready before you leave.
Jamie.Mum and dad drivers who occasionally go on these roads dont want a cashless system,they dont want the tag. They need a cash booth.If I wemt to Brisbane and they had a cashless toll booth and got caught in it with my mcdonalds change in the centre console I would not be impressed.

I thought that legal tender in Australia was the accepted means of currency?I do assure you that if I went out to dinner with my family that if I pulled out my toll pass to pay id be washing a few dishes and then some.Has our money become prostituted by these organisations? I have money in my pocket and it should be my way of paying for goods and services.

What is happening to the Australian Constitution? Why is our legal tender illegal in these tunnels? Who runs this place anymore?

Does this mean that if I cant spend money here then what chance have I got in another county? What about tourists to Sydney? Theyll go back to Japan and say "dont go to Australia..we paid a fine in Austarlia because they dont accept their own money in that tunnel!!

The immediate results and theories are apparent but what happens when the fundamental basis on which Australia is made is ignored. If we let them get away with it then they will erode our civil rights more and more away

They can keep and enjoy their tunnel.

Last edited by Stav; 08-10-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Jamie.Mum and dad drivers who occasionally go on these roads don't want a cashless system,they don't want the tag. They need a cash booth.If I wemt to Brisbane and they had a cashless toll booth and got caught in it with my mcdonalds change in the centre console I would not be impressed.

I thought that legal tender in Australia was the accepted means of currency?I do assure you that if I went out to dinner with my family that if I pulled out my toll pass to pay id be washing a few dishes and then some.Has our money become prostituted by these organisations? I have money in my pocket and it should be my way of paying for goods and services.

What is happening to the Australian Constitution? Why is our legal tender illegal in these tunnels?

Does this mean that if I cant spend money here then what chance have I got in another county? What about tourists to Sydney? Theyll go back to Japan and say "dont go to Australia..we paid a fine in Austarlia because they dont accept their own money in that tunnel!!

The immediate results and theories are apparent but what happens when the fundamental basis on which Australia is made is ignored. If we let them get away with it then they will erode our civil rights more and more away.
Mate, I understand where you are coming from. Yes there is a lot of people that don't travel these roads enough to warrant owning an Etag.

My frustration is from someone who has one and who also crosses the Harbour tunnel twice a day. I come in from the North Shore, for me to get to the only dedicated Etag lane, I have to immediately cross 4 lanes of heavy traffic that's going faster than the posted 80km as soon as I hit the bottom of the off ramp.

I do this every morning, if I can't get across I get stuck in the coin basket lane and have to wait for everybody to fumble around with change. A couple of weeks ago I had to lock up the brakes because a couple with Queensland plates stopped at the Etag only booth looking for the basket. Now I can understand that it's probably the first time they have crossed the city. What I can't understand is how they managed to stay in the Etag only lane when there is signs painted on the road and by the road side stating that it's an Etag only lane and Cash is to keep to the left. Also the big sign saying Do Not Stop would have been a big give away. It was also early morning on a weekend with no traffic so there is no way they got stuck in that lane by no one letting them in.

There is better systems than the Etag and I mean cashless systems. Melbourne's set up is great, you just drive through and if you haven't organised your pass before hand, you do it after the trip. In this day and age in Australia's largest city you would think that wold have their act together by now.

My Website
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #28
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Mate, I understand where you are coming from.
There is better systems than the Etag and I mean cashless systems. Melbourne's set up is great, you just drive through and if you haven't organised your pass before hand, you do it after the trip. In this day and age in Australia's largest city you would think that wold have their act together by now.
Absolutely agree.You are right.I use tolls 7 times a day.(should get etag) and it is annoying when people are looking under their seats for coins while you wait.

They should simply be able to have an electronic device implanted on everybodies registration sticker which registers as we go by.It would be expensive but its not like we are not paying taxes or tolls.It is a multi billion dollar project.They would be able to afford it.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #29
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Are the owners crazy?When did Ronald McDonald call the shots? This road is ridiculous.These spongers did not even put a toll booth under there.This road is supposed to be fully automatic and cashless.Well they did make it cashless Because people arent using it and neither am I!!

I see them on TV crying "oh noone is using the road" Get with the program guys.I have loose change but i dont have a dicky pass to suit you.In my businesss even chicken eggs are welcome as payment!!
Does anyone use this road?
Get with the times and buy an etag!

And dont complain, you drive a car - try wearing the damn tag around your neck everyday on a bike! :lookedat:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #30
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

And dont complain, you drive a car - try wearing the damn tag around your neck everyday on a bike! :lookedat:
True

Almost as maddening as the people fumbling around for change is the people fumbling around for their Etag. These are the ones that won't mount it but hold it up to the windcreen as they pass through narrow gates doing 60+, driving with only one hand whilst looking to make sure their Etag is in the right position

My Website