Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Playing with the dev 4.

What can I say? I am starting to extract better and better times from this cam as time goes on.What can I say?? I am starting to think ive spent more time than you guys on it.

Also I am starting to think that despite its lower rated power figure that this cam will give a fatter torque/power curve than the dev 5. Top end power is not as high but thats ok because dynos tell me what I want to hear most of the time.
I beleive this cam is good for up to 155 genuine average rwkws with a standard cylinder head.

The new timing device I am using is what everyone should have when tuning a car. I am pigheaded sometimes but my brain demands certain things be continually refined and imrpoved on until they work at the best possible level.

If anyone was to say to me today "which cam is the best" I would have to say the dev 4 cam.The results are startling.

The way I extracted extract alot more power from this cam for me will be my business. However should you want to contact me ..go through sponsor stingray .I may well tell you some details privately. The countless hours of removing lifters and playing with every single sensor on the car 5000 times is starting to pay off.

If it is not going to be a 1/4 mile killer it is certainly an awesome daily driver.

The dev 4 is an excellent cam for the AU ford but it cannot do it on its own..it needs help. The fords prior to the AU ran different valve sizes hence the need for a lunatic like me to believe in you guys then make it better.!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
What can I say? I am starting to extract better and better times from this cam as time goes on.What can I say??
So by times that means you have been to the strip now ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

ummm ok, your cam goes great, but thats all you want to share.

i had a shave yesterday. i used a razor.

damn, my secret is out.
Old 19-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
I am starting to think ive spent more time than you guys on it.
ell - ooh - ell

Let me get this straight. How many 4.0s have you had? How many dyno hours have you done? How much do you know about cam profiles? Hell, no one besides JMM know the cam specs, how can you possibly say that? Quarter mile time? Are you even a qualified mechanic?

Pigheaded? You said it buddy. Keep on playing with the cam, try not to drop any tools in the sump this time round.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

so you're saying that you now know more about tuning an I6 with a JMM cam than JMM themselves.. who actually developed the cam in the first place and have been tuning I6 falcons for 20+ years?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Though I'm curious, how on earth do you play with every sensor, taking into account you don't have a 4 gas analyser or a scan tool?
Old 19-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
so you're saying that you now know more about tuning an I6 with a JMM cam than JMM themselves.. who actually developed the cam in the first place and have been tuning I6 falcons for 20+ years?
I am saying that finally I got it right and didnt expect it to go so well that is aat all. I went to the dunny and got all these "jump down my throat" responses.Thats ok...

Psycho chicken.i do have access to a scan tool ,gas analyser,gas detectors oscilliscopes,frequency testers,temperature and every other tool.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 19-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
ummm ok, your cam goes great, but thats all you want to share.

i had a shave yesterday. i used a razor.

damn, my secret is out.
I put the time/money in mate so it isnt anyone elses business really is it?My razor isnt relevant to anyone else.Its mine.

Old 19-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Stav you keep rambling on about changes and improvements, for the love of God please run it at the strip, anything else is just a figure on paper.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Stav
Smile

Maybe Ill keep my ideas in my head just enjoy this thing instead of inviting critical analysis . Whats it to anyone that you can add up to 10 rwkws by modifying 1 sensor on the au?No one wants to know that.But I do and I might just keep it that way.Unfortunatley...

Old 19-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Have you ran it on the dyno back to back to prove this gain? Ran it down the strip? Or is it all g-tech?
Old 19-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
SWOOP
XRSVO

also might want to test more than one vehicle and one engine to back up the claims??(maybe you have we dont know, could you please induldge us)
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #13
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Have you ran it on the dyno back to back to prove this gain? Ran it down the strip? Or is it all g-tech?
Dyno..

Old 19-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
What can I say? I am starting to extract better and better times from this cam as time goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Quote:
Dyno..
Ok then, as long as we're clear here....

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #15
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Come back with an ET and MPH, untill then, back in your box son.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #16
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Come back with an ET and MPH, untill then, back in your box son.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Whats it to anyone that you can add up to 10 rwkws by modifying 1 sensor on the au?
Maybe you should start up an ebay store.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #17
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Yeh have to agree

Show us your Time Slips useless.

The dev4 cam with a decent head has shown some low 14 times in early series manual cars but in a heavier auto wagon the breadth of the powerband not the peak power is going to be more important.

I can tell you useless car goes well I have driven it and we have lined up each other and its fast but......

Time Slips are what we all want to see.

I will be running mine again if it doesn't get rained out in a fortnight and try and set a new benchmark for AU auto wagons for useless to have a crack at.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Yeh have to agree

Show us your Time Slips useless.

The dev4 cam with a decent head has shown some low 14 times in early series manual cars but in a heavier auto wagon the breadth of the powerband not the peak power is going to be more important.

I can tell you useless car goes well I have driven it and we have lined up each other and its fast but......

Time Slips are what we all want to see.

I will be running mine again if it doesn't get rained out in a fortnight and try and set a new benchmark for AU auto wagons for useless to have a crack at.
Are there any spots left on your day JonBays? It looks like the nissan day is held up somewhat.

Old 21-11-2005, 12:08 AM   #19
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Are there any spots left on your day JonBays? It looks like the nissan day is held up somewhat.
Yeah mate, there looks like a couple of spots available. Even then there are usually a few that need to pull out in the last week or so. Give Pete (aka V8Owner) a PM, he will be able to sort you out.

Would be good to see you there Stav ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #20
stiddy
Banned

all you need now is that 3in cat stav ;)
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #21
EFFalcon
Last warning

show me when u had a dev 5 cam in your car to be able to claim a better cruve?
As good as a dev4 cam is, we want more!
we want genuine times!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #22
neb
hibernating

it'll be interesting to see what your car runs useless, it's about time that you take it to the strip!! i'd be interested in knowing your secrets useless i've been playing with mine as well... so umm pm me if you want
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
show me when u had a dev 5 cam in your car to be able to claim a better cruve?
As good as a dev4 cam is, we want more!
we want genuine times!
Ive seen an acquaintaince of mine go from dev 4 with streetfigher head to a dev 5 with 3.9 diff, fluffy dice and the works only to manage 0.1 second difference on the 1/4 mile.

Old 22-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
it'll be interesting to see what your car runs useless, it's about time that you take it to the strip!! i'd be interested in knowing your secrets useless i've been playing with mine as well... so umm pm me if you want
I was booked in for the 5th November and it was cancelled due to rain.Then it was supposed to be moved but now weve been told that we have been slugged a 1300 dollars cancellation fee...So I am wondering if ill see my cash sometime again? I want to run it at the v8 owners club but dont want to risk another 220 dollars.the other thing is that I have a terminally ill family member who is nearly ready..so I may give it a try and love hanging out with JonBays ,xr8ute and some of the other boys. :

Btw thank you Casper..sure I babble on ..but ...

Old 22-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Yeah mate, there looks like a couple of spots available. Even then there are usually a few that need to pull out in the last week or so. Give Pete (aka V8Owner) a PM, he will be able to sort you out.

pm got sent ..just have to check with the fam ...Sunday has been a strictly family day..

Old 22-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
If I pm you and run crap times..it will be dissapointing.Wait and see if this will go well... I am currently working on home made mods because people want stupid money for underpower products..

Old 22-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Quote:
I was booked in for the 5th November and it was cancelled due to rain.Then it was supposed to be moved but now weve been told that we have been slugged a 1300 dollars cancellation fee...So I am wondering if ill see my cash sometime again? I want to run it at the v8 owners club but dont want to risk another 220 dollars.the other thing is that I have a terminally ill family member who is nearly ready..so I may give it a try and love hanging out with JonBays ,xr8ute and some of the other boys. :

Btw thank you Casper..sure I babble on ..but ...
Well a few minutes ago they promised the money back..happy days.

Old 22-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute

I am in!!! Me and JonBays..battle of the wagons...who will be the quickest AU six wagon on the forum ,if not the country.The record stands at 15.609. Has this thing got what it takes.??? Common Jon get that NOS out mate and let us old buggers have some midlife crisis fun!!!! :1syellow1 : :

Old 23-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #29
xr8ute
Back on the road

good work

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #30
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
I am in!!! Me and JonBays..battle of the wagons...who will be the quickest AU six wagon on the forum ,if not the country.The record stands at 15.609. Has this thing got what it takes.??? Common Jon get that NOS out mate and let us old buggers have some midlife crisis fun!!!! :1syellow1 : :
Sh** I better pull the finger out and get my 3.45 diff in then eh.

this will be fun some real competition in the big **** 15 second bracket for me
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post