Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default First Circuit day in my XR8

I reckon I will have this grin for at least one week.

Had a sprint day at Baskerville raceway (in Tas) and it was the most fun I have ever had in one day, in a car any way. My car destroyed a set of tires in 28 hot laps and used 3/4 of a tank of juice in the process. Economy....... 38 lt per 100 km according to the trip computer.

Brakes were brilliant, can't say enough about the performance of the AP's and big rotors, no fade, the pedal went a little longer in travel, but they hauled the car down from speeds (and short in distance) like Ive never dreamt of on the road. I was a bit worried to begin with due to the creaking that was going on between sprints (I'm guessing from the rotors ??), but no cracks visible, just a lot of dust on the calipers / wheels. I was running a set of Ferrodo Race Pads.

The suspension proved better than I thought 'road suspension' would be, seemed too loose in the rear end, but turned in really well. Which is great due to all the 'lead tipped arrow crap' that gets slung at Ford V8's. I held it in some long over steer angles, on one corner (second gear, 60 kmph and up a fairly steep hill) for around 100m up the hill. Bloody fun, heaps slow..............

Saw 180 kmh down the back straight (limiter in 4th) which wasn't too bad, mind you there was a heavily modded REX pulling nearly 200 !!!! There was even a Mini that cracked damn near 180 (175), and had corner speeds that my big bad warbling XR8 couldn't even dream of.

Pulled a OMG see the whites of my eyes 360 deg spin at 110kmph in front of most onlookers, came to a dusty stop around 1.5m from a nasty bastard tire wall. All good, and smoked em up proper once I'd bulldozed my way back to the track.

Times started out at 1.12's/ 13's, ended up with a best in last session of 1.08 odd. (actually closer to 09, but 08 sounds better.This was with four shagged tires, rears absolutely buggered, wore about 4mm of tread, and both have had 10C piece size lumps of rubber ripped from all the way around inner tread, you can put your thumb in some.

Reallity check is, said fast REX did 60 seconds, Torana XU1 did 1.06, Mini on on steroids was slightly faster than Rana, GTR did 1.03, but XR8 did beat a few. We won't mention all were 4 Cyl, bar one immaculate VL Commo with trick suspension and BIG wheels / tires.

Intersesting that more than half the field turned up on a trailer. Great to be able to drive to and from the day in your 'race car'.

My 8 will never be quick around a circuit, but Jeez it's fun, and from the after race feedback, it sure was one of the crowd favorites. Why was the driver was so enthusiastic ........... he like smokem signals.

I learnt lots of things today, feeling slower is often faster, less power applied can be quicker, and semi slick tires shat on road rubber.

My Ventus Sport (245 45 17) got rooted, I will need to get a new set of tires, and they were (at a guess) only 50 percent worn yesturday. Add that to the cost of entry etc, and it is not cheap.

But I don't care, and I didn't get put in jail or lose my car, or bend it and I drove harder, braked later than I ever thought my 8 would / could do.

I am now converted to going fast through corners, not just on the way out. Feeling like Mr Master Card could get some use before the next sprint.......

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Saw 180 kmh down the back straight (limiter in 4th)
They pull more than 180Km/h in 4th don't they or did you mean 3rd?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

No, it was fourth, (5 speed) and I think it was closer to 190.

I did not get a really long look, more worried about the left hand corner.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 19-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
No, it was fourth, (5 speed) and I think it was closer to 190.

I did not get a really long look, more worried about the left hand corner.
Yeah Dads Pursuit is a 5 Speed too, Must have been closer to 190Km/h i think, sounds like a great day, and Pics or Vid's?
Old 19-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Yeah Dads Pursuit is a 5 Speed too, Must have been closer to 190Km/h i think, sounds like a great day, and Pics or Vid's?
I wish !

I don't even own a digital camera.....

If I can track down some pics I'll post up.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 19-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll have that grin on your face for a week, glad you had a great weekend.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Know where your coming from, had my first day at wakefield park a few months ago and still got the grin on my face.And yep, trailor for me to the track next time only just made it home last time, nealy 3 1/2 hours on a 2 hour normal trip to goulburn.

Dont do as i did and get a bit over confident on normal tar huntin down corners as there is no tyre walls or runoff, :togo:

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEV EB XR8
Know where your coming from, had my first day at wakefield park a few months ago and still got the grin on my face.And yep, trailor for me to the track next time only just made it home last time, nealy 3 1/2 hours on a 2 hour normal trip to goulburn.

Dont do as i did and get a bit over confident on normal tar huntin down corners as there is no tyre walls or runoff, :togo:

That's what surprised me the most, just how harder you can drive your car on a circuit. It helped that everyone gave me a wide birth for my first 6 or so laps, because on reflection I was way too excited, and was using the car control normally displayed by a pimply faced kid. (which i aint) If it hadn't been for the runoff area when I had my BIG MOMENT, the car would have been destroyed, along with me. Seeing that tire barrier approaching side on when completely out of control....... no oppy lock / throttle / nothing was going to get me back on the track, so I miliseconds later locked em up to wash as much speed off as possible. Smoke, dust, straw and pieces of shredded rubber filled up the car....... had both windows down which I will never do again.

Advice was forthcoming from many other entrants, all of it was unthreatening and offered in a way that I copped all on the chin. Everyone was patient with my antics, but needless to say If I was still 'drifting' every second / third gear corner at the end of the event, I doubt the feedback would have still been positive. They could see I was smoother, less agro with the throttle, and had discovered the most fundimental of track tactics..... pick and hold the best line through corners.

This took a while, not really until the last session to sink in, but a guy suggested I follow him through the circuit and see what I thought of his lines in / out of corners. With completely rooted tires that felt like they were made of bluetac, I managed to shave 4 - 5 seconds from my intial times at the start, when the rubber was ok.

Using third instead of second also helped, and for the second gear corners I began feeding in the power instead of mashing the throttle which instantly results in playing drift king for the entire corner.

Getting overtaken through corners by a mini (dedicated circuit car) was humbling, but enlightening.

Already I have plans in the pipeline to make some big improvements next event.

1. Drive smoothly, less throttle, pick my lines.. don't overdrive the car or get my skills mixed up with my ambitions.......

2. Fit some Race / road rubber to my spare wheels, not sure which is best, any advice would be great. I won't run these on the street, but I do want a grooved "slick" tyre that remains street legal if possible.

3. Listen to more advice, listen some more, and try others 'tricks', tactics.

4. Investigate some suspension options, although not on the immediate wish list.

If any of you (that havnt tried track sprints) get the chance to participate in a sprint day, put on by a welcoming and friendly club, do yourself a favour and have a go. Doesn't matter what you drive, because you will still have TOO much fun, and your car will do things you should have only dreamt of doing on the street. For me, its made 1/4 mile racing a little less exciting than I thought a couple of days ago. JMO.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 20-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My boss is having his RX7 S1 completely rebuilt (engine/box/dif/suspension) the idea being to take it to track days. I'll probably take the R33 down at the same time see how it goes, well after I figure out if it was bad fuel cause detonation at high rpm under heavy load.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Id love to help advise but im a virgin on the track as well, had some great guys down there from this forum who gave me a lot of help.
just cant wait till the next day.........

Still to come DIVORCE
Old 20-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey there Tex,

that's great stuff to hear. I had my first track experience up at symmons plains with the Light car club. I put the EB XR8 around there which was absolutely unreal.

I've just joined the hobart sporting car club and missing out on the day because I had stuff on (house comes first at the moment). I'm wanting to take the sprint out there for some private practice sessions while I'm building a dedicate car for the track (picked up a straight as EA not running for $200.00, bargain).

How did you find the Esses??? apparently they're a bugger and a half.

Richo

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEV EB XR8
Id love to help advise but im a virgin on the track as well, had some great guys down there from this forum who gave me a lot of help.
just cant wait till the next day.........
Do you know when the next track day is being held at Wakefield?
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:47 AM   #13
Rollin
Banned

preaching to the converted track days are the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

they totally KILL your bank account, but being able to REALLY give your car a proper working over (no matter how hard you try on the street, you can never go quite as hard as on a track) is absolutely sublime.

Quote:
Seeing that tire barrier approaching side on when completely out of control....... no oppy lock / throttle / nothing was going to get me back on the track, so I miliseconds later locked em up to wash as much speed off as possible
i know how you felt - i had a HUGE moment at QLD raceway last time i went, was sideways (on purpose) at about 130 or so going through turn 2, and the front wheels lost traction, so was then sliding totally broadside at very high speed, heading towards the kitty litter sideways (could see a few barrel rolls coming up) lifted off the gas to try and get the front to grip a little, and v-e-r-y gently steered the car in a huge arc on the grass and got it to straighten up, missing the gravel by what felt like inches...my heart was on its rev limiter, let me tell you!!!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 05:45 AM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can auto cars be taken on the track successfully??
im thinkin it would be a bit of a waste of time in the fairlane..
and it would CHEW thru brakes being auto..coz u cant throw it down a few gears like in a manual without mashin the insides of ur gearbox..

would love to go to a track day 1 day tho!!
Old 21-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #15
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBAXR8
Do you know when the next track day is being held at Wakefield?
Im not sure of the next organised track day, but if you go to thier website , they run speed off the street days regular enough to get a few people together an go for it. Only cost you $40 for a 12 month licence and $90 for the day pass. helmet and long pants/sleeved shirt and covered in shoes.

can auto cars be taken on the track successfully??

Not as easy as a manual, but mines an auto and had just as much fun, only used 2nd and 3rd and shifted manually.

Still to come DIVORCE
Old 21-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Mustang Dave

There is no better fun than circuit days.........it makes 1/4 mile seem boring :
Mustang Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #17
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Congratulations on busting your cherry! As you have said you cannot believe what your car is capable of unless you drive it on a circuit. After doing this you just see people “driving fast” on the road and think that they have got no idea.

Sprints/Supersprints/Track days/Fun days at circuits are some of the best times I have had in a car. The biggest improvement you can make to a car is to change “the nut behind the wheel” before you start fiddling with suspension, etc. As your skills improve and the lap times come down it is very satisfying. The trick is not to go hard too early and have a crash. You are better off going a bit slower and learning how to drive on a track than having to walk to work on Monday. Good brakes certainly make a difference don’t they? I’d rather have brakes and handling over just straight line grunt anyday.

It is very addictive, over the years all of the cars that I’ve owned (four in total) have done double duty as daily drivers/track cars. The one that I learnt the most with was my bog slow, almost dead stock, very old Torana – I had to improve to get that thing to go quicker and I had to be relatively smooth and gentle to stop things wearing out on it.

Years later I still get a buzz out of driving on a circuit.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Hey there Tex,

that's great stuff to hear. I had my first track experience up at symmons plains with the Light car club. I put the EB XR8 around there which was absolutely unreal.

I've just joined the hobart sporting car club and missing out on the day because I had stuff on (house comes first at the moment). I'm wanting to take the sprint out there for some private practice sessions while I'm building a dedicate car for the track (picked up a straight as EA not running for $200.00, bargain).

How did you find the Esses??? apparently they're a bugger and a half.

Richo
Hi there mate,

The esses are TRICKY........... and oh so hard on your rubber. A couple of trips through the esses early on, when I was driving like a dud, way too much entry speed had chunks of my Hankooks coming in the window !!!!!! Bloody hell.

By the time I had settled down, and started driving it smoother the esses become easier with the right line. I was using about 50% throttle in second gear to get through them without over / understeer.

The sweeper onto the start finish line had me oppy locking in 3rd gear before the tower, and that was a real buzz. When I settled down, and drove smoother (had more exit speed as a result) ... was grabbing 4th by the end of the start finish straight, then third for the sweeper into the esses. (Thats where I had my big moment) ha, ha.

On the other side of the esses you've got the tight left hander and up over the big hill. I was taking this in second, which was just ludicrous with more than about 75 percent throttle............ grab third,and was hitting the limiter right at the top........

Wait until you do the blind corner at the top of the big hill. Holly crap, you need some balls to tip your car into this left hander without braking and losing too much speed. Its a combination of blind crest and blind corner.

I joined the Mini car club of Tas, hence there was a few of these little terrors circulating. They are a great bunch, and very welcoming. And they hold 4 of these sprints a year, anyone, any car is welcome. My 8 does look a little out of place next to a mini, but who cares ??????

I am going to the Symmons sprint in May (28th), which unfortunately is the week after the next Baskerville day.......... My tire guy is going to LOOOOV me. Twice in a week, does my bod have enough endorfens ???

Look forward to catching up with you either at Baskerville or Symmons, or both !

Tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 21-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #19
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hi there mate,

The esses are TRICKY........... and oh so hard on your rubber. A couple of trips through the esses early on, when I was driving like a dud, way too much entry speed had chunks of my Hankooks coming in the window !!!!!! Bloody hell.

By the time I had settled down, and started driving it smoother the esses become easier with the right line. I was using about 50% throttle in second gear to get through them without over / understeer.

The sweeper onto the start finish line had me oppy locking in 3rd gear before the tower, and that was a real buzz. When I settled down, and drove smoother (had more exit speed as a result) ... was grabbing 4th by the end of the start finish straight, then third for the sweeper into the esses. (Thats where I had my big moment) ha, ha.

On the other side of the esses you've got the tight left hander and up over the big hill. I was taking this in second, which was just ludicrous with more than about 75 percent throttle............ grab third,and was hitting the limiter right at the top........

Wait until you do the blind corner at the top of the big hill. Holly crap, you need some balls to tip your car into this left hander without braking and losing too much speed. Its a combination of blind crest and blind corner.

I joined the Mini car club of Tas, hence there was a few of these little terrors circulating. They are a great bunch, and very welcoming. And they hold 4 of these sprints a year, anyone, any car is welcome. My 8 does look a little out of place next to a mini, but who cares ??????

I am going to the Symmons sprint in May (28th), which unfortunately is the week after the next Baskerville day.......... My tire guy is going to LOOOOV me. Twice in a week, does my bod have enough endorfens ???

Look forward to catching up with you either at Baskerville or Symmons, or both !

Tex
Yeah for sure. What model XR8 are you running??

Richo

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Yeah for sure. What model XR8 are you running??

Richo
Tex Has a BA MK1 XR8 5 Speed Manual fro memory.
Old 21-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #21
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I reckon I will have this grin for at least one week.

Had a sprint day at Baskerville raceway (in Tas) and it was the most fun I have ever had in one day, in a car any way. My car destroyed a set of tires in 28 hot laps and used 3/4 of a tank of juice in the process. Economy....... 38 lt per 100 km according to the trip computer.
I can tell you, it will last longer than a week. You will be talking about it for a month, looking forward to the next time you are doing it for 3 months and planning the next time before you are finished.

Doesn't matter that it is your street car, if you are doing it for enjoyment and just having some real fun, the cost is sustainable. I'd suggest a second set of alloys (some ROH 3 piece alloys like Modena's) and a set of R-Spec rubber permanently matched. Means you just rock up with 4 tyres in the boot which will be safer on the track, and you can go harder, then change back street tyres at the end of the day. R-Spec tyres you could putting the XU1 to shame...
Old 22-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #22
tex
Broken

Hi Parawolf, Agree with your sentiments totally. I will only do it for personal fun and excitement.... being competitive is not really a motive. Self improvement is higher on the list of motivators.

Any brand of R spec rubber you'd recommend.... I assume there are different options ?

What width would you go with on a XR8 ? I will be going to a 255 40 17 road tire for the street. As previous, Hankook Ventus sport...... cheap, handle and wear well on the street.

thanks in advance

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 23-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hi Parawolf, Agree with your sentiments totally. I will only do it for personal fun and excitement.... being competitive is not really a motive. Self improvement is higher on the list of motivators.

Any brand of R spec rubber you'd recommend.... I assume there are different options ?

What width would you go with on a XR8 ? I will be going to a 255 40 17 road tire for the street. As previous, Hankook Ventus sport...... cheap, handle and wear well on the street.

thanks in advance
On 17", I probably would not be inclined to go any wider than 245's. Check out Stuckey Tyre Service. I don't endorse them, however they have good solid information for the kind of tyre you are after. However these two, DZ02G and the D01J are probably EXCELLENT starting points. I prefer the look of the D01J. It goes up to a 17" in a 245 width (which has a contact patch of 253mm wide!) and suits the widest width of alloys.

They are pricey, but far better in the fact you will go faster, corner harder, brake later and not ruin your street tyres.
Old 23-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #24
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Tex it sounds like you had a great time! I would love to take out any car for a track day it sounds like heaps of fun. I have been playing this game called GTR Real Racing and I have download our local track (hidden valley in darwin) and my best time is 1:10:890 with marcus ambroses V8. Your advice applies to the game as well, I've found that if you get the right line and hold it you find your times lowering. I've learned to be more smooth with the steering, brakes and accelerator whilst turning. This seems to be the key to faster laptimes. What I'd to do drive Hidden Valley in real live in a BA XR8 Falcon. You lucky man tex!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #25
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
On 17", I probably would not be inclined to go any wider than 245's. Check out Stuckey Tyre Service. I don't endorse them, however they have good solid information for the kind of tyre you are after. However these two, DZ02G and the D01J are probably EXCELLENT starting points. I prefer the look of the D01J. It goes up to a 17" in a 245 width (which has a contact patch of 253mm wide!) and suits the widest width of alloys.

They are pricey, but far better in the fact you will go faster, corner harder, brake later and not ruin your street tyres.
Great web site, thanks for the advice !

Those are serious looking tires, not looking forward to hearing how serious their price is............. me be eating baked beans on toast for the next few months.

Tex it sounds like you had a great time! I would love to take out any car for a track day it sounds like heaps of fun. I have been playing this game called GTR Real Racing and I have download our local track (hidden valley in darwin) and my best time is 1:10:890 with marcus ambroses V8. Your advice applies to the game as well, I've found that if you get the right line and hold it you find your times lowering. I've learned to be more smooth with the steering, brakes and accelerator whilst turning. This seems to be the key to faster laptimes. What I'd to do drive Hidden Valley in real live in a BA XR8 Falcon. You lucky man tex!

There you go.... some of the theory works on games as well.

Mate, it wouldn't matter what car (within reason) you took out to a circuit sprint. Other guys had at least as much fun as me, they had Golf GTI's, Jap imports of various descriptions, etc etc. Can't speak about other events, but the "speed event" that I attended is for individuals to race themselves, not competitively and thus risk your neck / car. You go as hard as you like, or what the car will sustain.... which ever limit comes first. One car did leave early on the day.... on the back of a trailer, it only survived 3 laps.......

Only four cars on the track at any one time, standing start, we were grouped by similar times.... and on the grid from fastest to slowest so there was a reduced chance of really close contact.

Although the back straight did present some high speed overtaking opportunities........

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.