Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Default massive brake shudder

i was recently driving my mother in-laws au series 1, and when applying the brakes it had a huge amount of shudder to the extent of the gear knob/selector was shaking and hurt your hand to try and hold it still.
has anyone else had this problem if so how did you rectify it ?
she said it has been happeneing for a while but the mechanic has sussed it out and can't find anything wrong, he also can't get it to shudder.
matt

qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive found it usually has to be from ABOVE 80kmh to get mine to shudder with light brake application...

its the front brake discs warped..
OR the slides for the brakes are sticking
Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

This is because the brake rotors are badly warped, machining may in most cases fix this problem. If a brake place cant fix it with machining you'll need new rotors, all in all not a big job & not very expencive, any brake place will be able to help :

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 04:51 AM   #4
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

thanks guys, they had tried changing the pads and flushing the lines but to no avail i'll tell them to check out the rotors
Old 03-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If a mechanic hasn't already suggested changing or machining the rotars, go to a different mechanic. He obviosuly has no idea, and I wouldn't want him learning how to do his job on my car...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
If a mechanic hasn't already suggested changing or machining the rotars, go to a different mechanic. He obviosuly has no idea, and I wouldn't want him learning how to do his job on my car...
My thought's exactly!! Dont go back to that place again, Anyone that can not identify this simple problem is ripping you off :

Last edited by sbutler; 03-04-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it is possible that the rear trans mount has also failed.. The vibrating tbar is usually a sign of the mount dying.. Not saying the rotors don't need machining as per the other replies but while you are getting them seen to get the mechanic to have a look at the rear trans mount at the same time

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #8
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

thanks racecraft, their "mechanic" is a family friend so he doesn't charge them anything, the father in law used to be a mechanic so thye just check out the whole front end, i told him today it was possibly the rotors and apparently he already knew that.... i'll tell him about the rear trans mount tomorrow
Old 04-04-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You'll soon learn the cost of free labour....

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 04-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
BJMXR

Its a VERY common problem on Falcons, my ED XR6 was no exception. Machining will help, but ultimately the warping of the discs will happen again and you'll need to buy new discs. ABS helped me out last time, i was happy with their service and price.

Often this problem is accelerated with heavy breaking down a hill, heating up the brakes, then stopping at traffic lights at the bottom of the hill, and holding the brake on in one spot of the disc. This cools down 3/4 of the disc, but where the brake pad is grabbing, it'll stay hot, so you get un-even cooling and the warping of the disc. I usually slowly roll forward a few metres in hope to reduce its impact on the disc.

Clearly this isn't the sole cause, but makes a difference
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

You are exactly right BJMXR & you explained it very well. This is by far the main reason rotors warp well in 99% of cases thats the cause.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

...Or that childish urge to zoom through big puddles spraying anyone within 50M of you... but not as bad as holding your brakes on.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
chippa6
Novice Professional

Recently when i had my new slotted rotors put on my brake guy showed me my old rotors, of which i had the same complaint. He said the the metal used to make them was substandard and showed me the burn marks on the disc which cause the warp. I had 4 dark marks on the rotor. Common problem with them i was told.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

wow this is interesting as mine does this as well, the first time I caught it out the side of my eye the whole T-selector threw a mental...bugger I'll have to get them done I spose grrrrrrrrrr
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #15
FUZMOBILE
Fuzzy Logic

if the rotors arent warped, i would suggest getting the slides checked, as metal exapnds when it heats up, my guess would be that you happened to be brakeing heavily a few times then after that you got a shudder. now if the mechanic couldn't get it to shudder, im guessing this might be a more reasonable explaination, as this means that it doesn't happen all the time
FUZMOBILE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post