Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Opinions on GPS units required

I thinking of getting a "TomTom One" GPS unit from Visa Rewards, but would first appreciate any feed back ( for or against ) from members who have used GPS units and which brands they would recommend

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I own a navman gps system.For places you dont know it is good.However it has asked me to turn right on main roads across concrete barriers which have been there for many years.Also at no right turns and one way streets. Yesterday I took myself to a suburb nd then inputed a street.After 7 km of travel I got there only to realise the starting point was 1 block away. Not impressed.However on the odd occasion it takes me ok.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I use the MIO MITAC 268 I find it very good, has everything i need, black spots, fixed speed and right light camera warnings, mp3's, full geometric compass and it tells me where to go...lol.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

I use the garmin street pilot 2610 in both my Ute and the GT, it is a great portable unit that just plugs into the ciggeratte lighter socket. (that said I have mine mounted to the top of the dash, so it cannot move.
It uses the same SENSIS data that most do. it is upgradeable via USB port to your internet conection on computer (although this process is a little difficult).
The easier way to upgrade is to get the current CD and up load that via USB.

It is as reliable as any I have used with it's full colour touch screen it is much easier than the Factory Sat nav in the BA XR which is a DVD based system same data just not as user friendly. also the DVD upgrades are very expensive.

But the real reason I have it is I like having a woman telling me where to go LOL

I am not keen on the windscreen mount units as they can be distracting and have had a unit fall off whilst driving.

The unit is on a funny angle to take the photo and showing data screen not the normal map.
Old 15-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the TomTom! I have the GO300 model, excellent unit.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...0pbgevs88vh9h4
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Have a look in the Territory forums I think was discussed in depth awhile back
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Have a look in the Territory forums I think was discussed in depth awhile back
Thanks Laminge, yes you are right, there is quite a bit of discussion on GPS in the Teritory site.

Should have done a search 1st ... still getting used to the available features of the Forum

Pedro
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I used a TomTom 1 over the last week in my mates Commodore. I found it very easy to use and it got me around inner city Brisbane with no dramas at all.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

I have a Tom Tom 300 and use it a lot for work they are so easy to move from my car to a hire car. I am amazed at the road coverage, we were drilling out north east of Ceduna on road verges (little used dirt roads) and it had all the back roads on it. Could save the drill site at the end of the day, navigate back to pub, then shortest way back the next morning.

Bloody fantastic.

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I use the MIO MITAC 268 I find it very good, has everything i need, black spots, fixed speed and right light camera warnings, mp3's, full geometric compass and it tells me where to go...lol.

Looking at the specs of the MIO it doesn't say it gives warnings for speed camera's?
I'm thinking of getting the road angel gps navigator with fixed camera warnings.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Looking at the specs of the MIO it doesn't say it gives warnings for speed camera's?
I'm thinking of getting the road angel gps navigator with fixed camera warnings.
I have one and it gives you fixed speed and right light camera warnings, the software on mine is approx 1 year old, any camera fitted after that date of coarse you wont get the warning from the GPS.
Tells you were all the servos are, food outlets etc, etc, and many many points of interest.

Old 15-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

If thats the case then this might be my next purchase as it's $895 compared to $1195 for the road angel.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
If thats the case then this might be my next purchase as it's $895 compared to $1195 for the road angel.
Ebay $730 for a new one..
I purchased mine from a guy off ebay for $480 he gave me the original receipt it was 10 weeks old.

Old 15-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #14
Falchoon

A while back I bought an Acer GPS/PDA (dunno the model #) and on paper it looked to be good value (~$900) but in reality is was too complicated for me to even get going! The software for both the GPS and the PDA had to be loaded on via CDs that come with it and then register the software on the internet (too bad if you didn't have a computer and didn't have internet access). I am no computer guru, just know enough to get by so found all this excessively complicated and after a mate who is a computer guru came around and he couldn't get it going either I gave up and took it back to the shop (K-Mart) and got a refund. Other GPS units seem to have the software pre-installed and you just turn them on and off you go.

A girl at work bought her Navman ICN520 in to show me and it seems good but I didn't get to drive anywhere to test it.

A couple of other people I know have the Navman PIN (Dunno model #, think it has PDA as well) and when down in Tassie last year it says there are no points of interest in Tassie (!) and gave dodgy directions from Hobart to Mt Wellington. Obviously this is the Sensis software that most of the GPS units use rather than a fault of the actual unit itself but it is a shortcoming.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
HSE2

Wonder it worked in Tassie at all with me about. They had the vehicle down here again last month updating their database. Good fun to play with Next update wont be too far out!!

Tom Tom are about to release their new models. 510 710 and 910 which probably won’t make it out here. After researching exhaustively last year the tom tom brand suits my needs. The Tas boys are coming to the mainland early next year so we have decided we need to invest in something along these lines after the last capitulation.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post