Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Default Thankyou Automatic

Just wanted to show my gratitude towards the being who created the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

I tore my left Hamstring at footy last night. There was no way in hell i could drive my manual Triton to work this morning and instead drove my auto falcon.

just wanted to say thanks

Old 20-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

lol.. tis a good thing

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Pfft, come on - you could depress the clutch pedal with a broomstick in a shoe or something! ;)
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Some of the auto's I've had needed a clutch to work! lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
SIKXR8220

Just bought my first auto car and i must say i like it. 5 years of manual driving was getting annoying but in 3 months i will probably want an auto again.
SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

I am pretty sure it was James Kirby, same guy who invented the Kirby Vacuum, dry cleaning, and the wringless washing machine. I found my auto handy too, when I broke my scaphoid.
Old 20-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
XR6Stu

Torn a hammy? Ouch ouch ouch. Hope it gets better asap.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
russky
Road Terrorist

Weren't the autos first developed for the disabled? lol

Hope you get better quickly!
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Pfft, come on - you could depress the clutch pedal with a broomstick in a shoe or something! ;)
You diehard!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Just wanted to show my gratitude towards the being who created the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

I tore my left Hamstring at footy last night. There was no way in hell i could drive my manual Triton to work this morning and instead drove my auto falcon.

just wanted to say thanks

i also need to praise the auto, recently i was in a motorbike crash ( unfortunatley i was on the one on the motorbike ) and it had renderred my left leg useless for about ten weeks, im just startign to walk reasonably comfortably again...

before the last ten weeks, always wished i had bought a manual.... glad i ddint in the end..
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Not really the best thing. I tore my ACL (told it was just strained originally) in my right knee.

Went to driving an auto instead of manual, but I couldn't move leg from Acc to brake so I had to brake pedal with left leg.....
Ever done that after being used to a clutch on that side... Lock up the Brakes city everywhere LOL
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Pfft.. broomstick?? Just use one of the crutches that you'll be hopping around with in the first place.. LOL.

Did just that quite a few years ago when I had a busted left ankle. Put one crutch under the left arm pit, with the other end on the clutch padle. Left hand on gear stick and weight on the crutch so as crutch didn't fall off the padle. I got where I was going, and managed to drive back home too. Never did again though.. he he. Was in a 626 with one of those nice and easy hydraulic clutches. Doubt I'd got anywhere with them AU cable clutches though. Not a chance.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
Not really the best thing. I tore my ACL (told it was just strained originally) in my right knee.

Went to driving an auto instead of manual, but I couldn't move leg from Acc to brake so I had to brake pedal with left leg.....
Ever done that after being used to a clutch on that side... Lock up the Brakes city everywhere LOL
Im lucky actually i been driving forklifts for years , im used to using my left foot for the far left combined brake and clutch on forks . I have got into a terrible habbit also these days of driving the auto with the right foot for accelerator and the left for brake , allthough i must say i think its actually safer once your used to it ! - you can get those brakes on a hell of alot quicker when your foot is above the pedal ready , instead of having to shift the foot from the accelerator . It actually feels un-normal for me to use my right foot on the brakes these days , unless in a manual. Also a hell of alot quicker out of corners and stuff in an auto that usual when your used to using ya left foot for the brake, i can give a manual a good run for its money driving like this ..lol. Also doing stuff like stalling the auto to higher revs with the left foot on the brake feels natural and easy , the left foot doesn't feel as wobbly these days as it used too.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Im lucky actually i been driving forklifts for years , im used to using my left foot for the far left combined brake and clutch on forks . I have got into a terrible habbit also these days of driving the auto with the right foot for accelerator and the left for brake , allthough i must say i think its actually safer once your used to it ! - you can get those brakes on a hell of alot quicker when your foot is above the pedal ready , instead of having to shift the foot from the accelerator . It actually feels un-normal for me to use my right foot on the brakes these days , unless in a manual. Also a hell of alot quicker out of corners and stuff in an auto that usual when your used to using ya left foot for the brake, i can give a manual a good run for its money driving like this ..lol. Also doing stuff like stalling the auto to higher revs with the left foot on the brake feels natural and easy , the left foot doesn't feel as wobbly these days as it used too.
Have you ever driven a Chrysler Voyager? It's obviously set up for left foot braking as to try with the right foot means going way over to the left. One of my best mates has one, it was really odd to drive in the beginning, but once I adjusted, and got the pedal pressure right with the left foot, it actually felt good to drive.

I'm not about to give it a go in the Falcon though! Actually, I may give it a little go! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I have an auto, and has come in handy when injured before, have severley hurt my right leg before, couldnt even acc with it, so had to accel & brake with left. In regular driving i right foot brake, however, when im into it on a nice windy bit of road, i will always left foot brake, its much easier and gives a quicker and more stable run as you can sort of trail brake a little through corners if they tighten off half way around.
I regularly drive a manual aswell, and have no probs jumping from one to the other. Although i have been in a car with someone who left foot braked after driving a manual and almost put me through the bloody windscreen. You see alot of cars on the highway or around town with the brake lights alwasy on from left foot brakers, that dont quite take there foot all the way back off the brake and sort of rest it there. just haveto be mindful of that.

In saying all this though, i would still love to drop a manual in my car.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #16
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Some of the auto's I've had needed a clutch to work! lol
Ive driven an auto with a clutch. But that was a front end loader, and you use the clutch to get the revs up a bit for the hydrolics. Was a bit funny first time i drove it, 1 acc pedal, 2 brake pedals and a clutch in an auto.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post